collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve Hunt  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Steve Hunt
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2021, 09:16:39 AM »
If my memory is correct saw him score a late winner at a "very wet" Huddersfield in SGT first season in charge

Yep, that's what I think of when his name is mentioned.

You can keep your "that night in Barcelona" and "that night in Istanbul", that afternoon in West Yorkshire is amongst my fondest memories.

And as if you weren't wet enough already you then practically wet yourself laughing when we got on the coach and I took my match programme out to read only to find out that it had turned into a ball of paper mache that just disintegrated when I took it out of my coat pocket.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2021, 09:21:08 AM »
If my memory is correct saw him score a late winner at a "very wet" Huddersfield in SGT first season in charge

I remember his winning goal rather differently. As opposed to a late winner I recall Steve Hunt scored the only goal of the game 'early doors' and we hung on for a 1-0 win in monsoon conditions.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2021, 01:05:56 PM »
I thought it was late in the game - but Damo you may be right

Just remember standing on the terraces and as soon as the ref blew his whistle to start the game the rain came down, and it did not stop!

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2021, 01:16:06 PM »
By coincidence - surely not - there is an account of another player joining New York Cosmos at the same time, Dennis Tueart - in this months Four Four Two. Steve Hunt naturally features.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 08:57:50 AM »
A good player in struggling teams. Hard working and skilful and I really liked him as a player and was really pleased when we signed him.
I vaguely remember a 3rd round cup tie at Villa Park against Chelsea, possibly the year we went down so January 87. They were winning 2-1 and in the last minute Walters put in a wicked cross and Hunt scored a diving header to equalise. Vaguely remember going flying on the ice in the Holte when celebrating.
Unfortunately we lost the reply a few days later, I think 2-1 and I think Hunt scored again.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2021, 09:56:13 AM »
A good player in struggling teams. Hard working and skilful and I really liked him as a player and was really pleased when we signed him.
I vaguely remember a 3rd round cup tie at Villa Park against Chelsea, possibly the year we went down so January 87. They were winning 2-1 and in the last minute Walters put in a wicked cross and Hunt scored a diving header to equalise. Vaguely remember going flying on the ice in the Holte when celebrating.
Unfortunately we lost the reply a few days later, I think 2-1 and I think Hunt scored again.

We heard that go in from near Aston Church, as we’d given it up a few minutes before.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2021, 05:24:47 PM »
Agree with the opinions of others, a classy, hard-working player, with a good eye for a pass. He looked good when rejoining us in 1986 and was one of the few players to come out of relegation the following season with any credit. Played a part early on in the season we came back up too, before his knee injury caught up with him and SGT brought in the Grays and Mark Lillis, who often played a similar midfield role to that which Hunt had.

If I remember right we bought Mark Lillis in the opening weeks of the season and he made his debut for us away to Leicester along with Malcolm Allen. It was our first win of the season and before kick off SGT came over to us as we were in the front row of the stand and one of our travelling party shouted "When are we gonna win Graham"? To which SGT firmly replied "Today"! We bought 'The Gray Twins' in late November or early December and they both made their debuts away to Bradford.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2021, 02:59:22 PM »
Fantastic memories of the away games in the promotion season under SGT

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2021, 07:31:38 AM »

We heard that go in from near Aston Church, as we’d given it up a few minutes before.

I must have been right next to you as I was walking under the flyover.  Learned the lesson never to leave a game early that day,

Offline Damo70

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2021, 04:48:50 PM »

It was my first season going home and away regularly as I had just left school and had my YTS money. The games I can remember best are the first game at Ipswich and of course the last game at Swindon. Away to Leicester and Albion early in the season, Huddersfield in the torrential rain, two wins at Leeds. Reading was memorable for being surrounded by a real bunch of funny characters, Shrewsbury in midweek, McInally scoring the only goal at Oldham. Beating Bradford with the two new signings 'the Gray twins' and really believing at that point that we would go back up. I missed seven games including the game at the sty as I was on a family holiday in Australia. The atmosphere at the last three games at home to Shrewsbury and Bradford and away to Swindon was fantastic.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2021, 07:36:09 PM »

It was my first season going home and away regularly as I had just left school and had my YTS money. The games I can remember best are the first game at Ipswich and of course the last game at Swindon. Away to Leicester and Albion early in the season, Huddersfield in the torrential rain, two wins at Leeds. Reading was memorable for being surrounded by a real bunch of funny characters, Shrewsbury in midweek, McInally scoring the only goal at Oldham. Beating Bradford with the two new signings 'the Gray twins' and really believing at that point that we would go back up. I missed seven games including the game at the sty as I was on a family holiday in Australia. The atmosphere at the last three games at home to Shrewsbury and Bradford and away to Swindon was fantastic.

Went to all the home games that season but only a couple of away games as was only 13/14. Grew up in Hockley and remember going to the midweek Albion away game when Aspinall scored two. Walked home down Soho Road at 9.30/10 at night and mum asked if I’d enjoyed the match when I got home, how times have changed for 13 year olds!!

Bradford at home was electric, 36,000 at VP after regular low 12,000-15,000 attendances for a number of years. You could feel the nerves, the place went up when Platt scored!

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2021, 09:28:28 PM »

I remember his winning goal rather differently. As opposed to a late winner I recall Steve Hunt scored the only goal of the game 'early doors' and we hung on for a 1-0 win in monsoon conditions.

...and a glorious walk back to the station with a warm welcome from both Huddersfield fans and the SYP.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal