collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Newcastle Utd vs Aston Villa pre-match thread  (Read 14284 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Newcastle Utd vs Aston Villa pre-match thread
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2021, 02:29:56 PM »
1-3 win for us.

Feels time to get back on track and win and score a few and they're missing anyone decent.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2021, 03:07:40 PM »
Yeah, we're experts in all that. It's like Groundhog Day watching his post match comments after another dismal performance from your lot.  Nothing is ever his fault, and when he started his final season with us in the Championship, he effectively left us without a central defence to speak of. He'd played most of that pre-season "having a little bit of a go at" a back 5, before ditching it as soon as the season started then being surprised when we were rubbish up until the time he got sacked.

He even loaned out the young center backs. Didn't we manage one game where we played an entire back 4 of right backs? I also hold him accountable for finishing James Chester off physically as he played beyond the pain barrier to the detriment of his own health because of Bruce's defensive fuck up pre season.
That all souds eerily familiar.

I just don't understand how these lumps keep getting gigs. I often wonder if the people who own football clubs have any idea about football outside the accountants meetings? Seems fairly simple to me; hire a DoF, get him to establish an ethos for the club and have every decision made with that in mind. From the way the youth teams play/train, the corporate deals you go after, to the managers that lead out the players you've signed. Gives you a the ability to plan years into the future, play a certain way and handle anything unexpected from a solid foundation.
He keeps getting gigs because he is a media darling, a favourite, a friend of the press, pundits. Not one of them ever answer the questions about his awful football. Fans here still thank him for “steadying the ship” when all he did was prolong the agony.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2021, 03:15:44 PM »
Yeah, we're experts in all that. It's like Groundhog Day watching his post match comments after another dismal performance from your lot.  Nothing is ever his fault, and when he started his final season with us in the Championship, he effectively left us without a central defence to speak of. He'd played most of that pre-season "having a little bit of a go at" a back 5, before ditching it as soon as the season started then being surprised when we were rubbish up until the time he got sacked.

He even loaned out the young center backs. Didn't we manage one game where we played an entire back 4 of right backs? I also hold him accountable for finishing James Chester off physically as he played beyond the pain barrier to the detriment of his own health because of Bruce's defensive fuck up pre season.

I just don't understand how these lumps keep getting gigs. I often wonder if the people who own football clubs have any idea about football outside the accountants meetings? Seems fairly simple to me; hire a DoF, get him to establish an ethos for the club and have every decision made with that in mind. From the way the youth teams play/train, the corporate deals you go after, to the managers that lead out the players you've signed. Gives you a the ability to plan years into the future, play a certain way and handle anything unexpected from a solid foundation.
He keeps getting gigs because he is a media darling, a favourite, a friend of the press, pundits. Not one of them ever answer the questions about his awful football. Fans here still thank him for “steadying the ship” when all he did was prolong the agony.

100%.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2021, 03:35:35 PM »

In fairness, even Tommy Elphick, who he shat on, gave him credit for that.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2021, 03:38:06 PM »
But, to qualify that, he's basically the football manager equivalent of the bloke that pours the cement into foundations, anything fancier and it's off wi' me 'ead.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2021, 03:44:06 PM »
He gets jobs in the same way that every other manager gets jobs. Once you're a football manager it's easier to be employed than out of work. See also Paul Lambert, Mick McCarthy et al.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 03:58:52 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Martin Carruthers

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2021, 03:47:02 PM »
Mick McCarthy is a decent lower league manager I think, genuine achievements on a budget compared to some of the others.

Online Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2021, 04:01:59 PM »

I was reading Newcastle fans’ comments on Bruce in an article in the Athletic recently and honestly, it’s fascinating for a Villa fan to hear what they’re saying as all their gripes and accusations just sound like Groundhog Day to us.

Tactics - desperately changing the formation / system / line ups regularly meaning his teams have zero identity.

Nice guy - the media portrayal is at odds with what fans of his clubs know. His little digs about ‘the mad few / off with me head is it’ etc. Then giving it the sarcastic ‘I supposedly don’t know what I’m doing, ha !’ after we beat Rotherham at home.

Lazy - he gave Newcastle players 3 days off last week in the build up to a massive game. He’d do this regularly at Villa and also, remember how he’d fuck off to his villa in Portugal during every international break rather than working to improve things with the players left behind?

Media pals - as mentioned above. He takes journalists out for lunch so guess what, they’d never criticise a ‘proper football bloke’ like Brucie.

Excuses - ‘listen, I’m not gonna make excuses’ before then reeling off loads of excuses.

Lacking ambition - playing for draws against Sheff Utd and West Brom recently. I remember us drawing at Bristol City and Bruce saying any point away from home is a great point (despite him having the most expensively assembled squad in Championship history).

Deliberately mis quoting stats to make him sound better - remember he said don’t judge me yet I’ve only been at Villa 3 or 4 months (when he’d been here 7) and also said Jack missed 6 months of one season (it was 3). He’d do this sort of thing every week and still does.

Throw in his bullshit Brucisms - roll wor sleeves up, put wor boots, give it a good go, we’ll be there or thereabouts, it’s been one of those horrible ones.. and he’s still an expert of saying plenty without actually saying anything.

And don’t get me started on his annoying habit of talking over the interviewer before they’ve finished their question.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2021, 04:04:54 PM »
He's a chancer, a fraud and, what really does for him, a really bad football manager.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2021, 04:06:55 PM »
Mick McCarthy is a decent lower league manager I think, genuine achievements on a budget compared to some of the others.

Agreed.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2021, 04:39:43 PM »

I was reading Newcastle fans’ comments on Bruce in an article in the Athletic recently and honestly, it’s fascinating for a Villa fan to hear what they’re saying as all their gripes and accusations just sound like Groundhog Day to us.

Tactics - desperately changing the formation / system / line ups regularly meaning his teams have zero identity.

Nice guy - the media portrayal is at odds with what fans of his clubs know. His little digs about ‘the mad few / off with me head is it’ etc. Then giving it the sarcastic ‘I supposedly don’t know what I’m doing, ha !’ after we beat Rotherham at home.

Lazy - he gave Newcastle players 3 days off last week in the build up to a massive game. He’d do this regularly at Villa and also, remember how he’d fuck off to his villa in Portugal during every international break rather than working to improve things with the players left behind?

Media pals - as mentioned above. He takes journalists out for lunch so guess what, they’d never criticise a ‘proper football bloke’ like Brucie.

Excuses - ‘listen, I’m not gonna make excuses’ before then reeling off loads of excuses.

Lacking ambition - playing for draws against Sheff Utd and West Brom recently. I remember us drawing at Bristol City and Bruce saying any point away from home is a great point (despite him having the most expensively assembled squad in Championship history).

Deliberately mis quoting stats to make him sound better - remember he said don’t judge me yet I’ve only been at Villa 3 or 4 months (when he’d been here 7) and also said Jack missed 6 months of one season (it was 3). He’d do this sort of thing every week and still does.

Throw in his bullshit Brucisms - roll wor sleeves up, put wor boots, give it a good go, we’ll be there or thereabouts, it’s been one of those horrible ones.. and he’s still an expert of saying plenty without actually saying anything.

And don’t get me started on his annoying habit of talking over the interviewer before they’ve finished their question.

Great summary!

He also does the same thing at at the start of every post-match interview.

"So Steve, signs of encouragement despite the 4-0 defeat?"

*Gives wry little smile, nods head, looks down at feet, puts head back up, cheeky smile*

"I was really pleased the way wi went about wor work."

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2021, 04:48:06 PM »
God this is miserable reading. It's horrible. I'd only wish him on Liverpool and Leeds in future.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2021, 04:51:47 PM »
No Wilson, no ASM, no Almiron, and Bruce still in charge?

You'll not need a 'keeper on the pitch, let alone Grealish.

Honestly, we went to West Brom, who've the worst defence in the league, without a striker starting. We waited until deep into the second half before bringing on Gayle, then didn't play him as the striker, then gave Andy Carroll 180 seconds to magic something out his arse.

Bruce is without a doubt, the worst football manager I've seen at my club in over 30yrs watching them. Worse than Ardilles, Dalglish, Gullit, Souness, Roeder (RIP), Allardyce, Kinnear, Pardew, McClaren(FFS). He's maybe, MAYBE better than John Carver, but that's it.

We can't defend well, don't control the ball, and don't create chances as a team. We've relied on individuals way too much.

Of course, it's not Bruce's fault, what with self-inflicted injury crises, the press being negative by accurately reporting our malaise, the fans making St James' toxic by saying means things about him on twitter, the players fault for not being telepathic.

honestly, I've no idea what the profanity filter on here is like, but I swear I could break it.

Loaning out Elphick and Steer was insanity. Bruce seemed to throw the budget at the likes of Bolasie in a last minute dash post takeover when there were more fundamental issues in the squad that needed rectifying.

I think a number here are forgetting the complete shit show Bruce walked into at Villa Park. His best decision at the club was exiling our main striker, a pissed up joker, and finally enforcing some discipline at the club. He also did take the club to the playoff final, should take credit for getting Grealish back on track, signed McGinn etc...So it's not all bad and I don't really understand the level of vitriol on here towards him. In terms of track record, he has a number of promotions under his belt and kept Newcastle up comfortably last season with a limited budget.

His problem has always been when he has been given money, same problem at Sunderland, Villa and Newcastle last summer. He seems to sign players without a sense of how to fit them into a game plan. Newcastle seem to have loads of centre backs, we had loads of right backs....but he wouldn't be unique in that either.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2021, 04:55:32 PM »

Made me laugh.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2021, 06:25:38 PM »
If Yannick is good enough for wor Bruce, he's good enough for Colin Wanker up at the Boro.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal