collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Are fans in grounds necessary for elite football?  (Read 4145 times)

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
Re: Are fans in grounds necessary for elite football?
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2021, 09:47:47 AM »
Matches without crowds only exist because of the unique circumstances we find ourselves in. As soon as crowds are allowed back the clubs will welcome them and people will go. Possible consequences from this situation are more televised games including at 3 on Saturday, individual clubs bidding for TV rights (which would be a disaster),  maybe playing games overseas might gain some traction (although this is a long shot I think)

In terms of me personally, the way I watch football has completely changed. In a "normal" season I would attend around 10 matches, watch us at the pub when we were on TV  (maybe another 10) and for the remainder, 3 pm Saturday kick offs for example, I'd happily follow it online or watching final score or the like. Post lockdown I have watched every single match barring a couple. I can't wait until I go back to a match in person for so many reasons but will I miss the regular TV appointment with the team I get at the moment?
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Tho I think 3pm Saturday will be off limits once fans return to protect the lower leagues a bit.

I'm similar though. Living up in North Wales now I can't get to B6 as often as I used to. It's been nice being able to watch as many games as I have on telly. It's no substitute for being there ... but it is nice being able to watch it, have a bit of a chat with my dad whilst the game's going on, teach my kids right (Villa) from wrong (not Villa), ...

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2021, 10:51:51 AM »
Wow, CD breached the word censor/filter somehow

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2021, 11:04:46 AM »
Grass!

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2021, 11:06:31 AM »
It’s interesting all the comments in this thread are coming from our point of view as supporters. The TV companies, premier league and the money men, I’m not sure give as much as shite about fans being there as they make out. The football being on the TV constantly has kept me going, something to look forwards to, has driven my wife mad though. But it has also opened the Pandora’s box a bit to a new way of broadcasting football. I know loads of people watch the games illegally, I’ve ended up slowly but surely subscribing to everything, BT sport, Amazon prime etc. It will be interesting how much of these subscriptions fall away or stay constant when fans are allowed back in. The way games are on all the time now, will be hard to let go for the broadcasters and you only have to look at the results coming in at 4.45pm now on a Saturday  (traditionally a time I love on a Saturday) to see how the fragmentation of premier league games has escalated in lockdown, there’s what maybe two games now on Saturday at 3pm. I’m not sure the fans being back will change this and it’s a couple of steps removed from games being played at silly o’clock to meet the demands on say the far east market on different time zones.
I think the money men running the premier league will unfortunately be coming to the conclusion they don’t need us in the ground as much as we need to be in the ground. I suppose there is the factor of the prime assets, the players, who surely hate playing in empty stadiums.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2021, 03:00:23 PM »
I've watched one match not involving Villa or England and that was Newcastle Wolves last week. I was bored shitless.

Football is nothing without fans.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2021, 03:10:50 PM »
I'm sure there have probably been plenty of great games without fans and plenty of shit ones with fans present. Especially if Steve Bruce is managing one of the teams.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal