collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 10 Man Sheffield United 1 Aston Villa 0 Post Match Thread  (Read 14890 times)

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
Re: 10 Man Sheffield United 1 Aston Villa 0 Post Match Thread
« Reply #195 on: March 04, 2021, 08:29:39 PM »
Its the painfully slow start that stands out for me.
If we'd have got in front early then we'd have picked up another win.
Jesus and our crossing and finishing.

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #196 on: March 04, 2021, 09:11:19 PM »
Given that Dean Smith must be well aware of the majority of fans views about his substations - or lack of them - we can only assume that he disagrees with us.  That's fair enough but would appear to be totally contra to what we experience week after week.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #197 on: March 04, 2021, 09:18:38 PM »
It’s no good battering the door down in the last 10 minutes
We should have been doing that since the man got sent off and we were one nil down

Whats a defensive midfielder not known for creating danger doing on the pitch in the 67th minute
67 minutes !
why did we start him in the first place against Sheffield United (not jumping on the bandwagon I said this in the Nakamba thread before the game)

I sell lorries for a living and even I know Luiz is twice the footballer Nakamba is
He’s a class player Sheffield United would’ve been a good game for him to regain his confidence
It’s pretty basic stuff really

So basic it’s worrying really

67 minutes ffs
Marvellous was excellent against Leeds and earned his start last night. Luiz lost his place after some really poor performances. Marv repaid the managers faith in him with a poor performance. His ball distribution was awful at times. Deano has learned something. Marv is probably never going to cut it on a regular basis and Elmo is another one who proved the same point. It was his absolute brain fart that cost us at least a draw. They were galvanised by it and had something to defend which they did gallantly. Something they're excellent at which they've rarely had chance to prove this season. They got their noses in front at Old Trafford and held on to the points. It's what they're good at.Without Jack we lacked the guile and genuine star quality to break them down. We learn. We move on. We improve. That's the way it's going to be for some time. Once we get everyone back fit I fancy us for a barnstorming end to the season.

He was excellent against Leeds
But he was there to do a specific job which he did

Saying he earned his place in the next game is exactly the problem
It’s championship manager thinking it’s small time

Play The best players you have to fit your tactics against what ever opposition you face
Simple as that
You'd soon end up with a very pissed off group of players if you adopted that stance. There has to be reward for players who play well for you or they'd soon get the attitude of "fuck it  why should I bother?"

You’ll also end up mid table with all your best players fucked off to teams who want to play at the highest level

while you end up with those who you’ve bent over backwards to not piss off

I’m not sure that follows to be honest. The best teams in my memory, including Ferguson’s Man U teams and Liverpool last year, pick fairly consistent teams, with the odd tweak here and there, sometimes to reward good performances from understudies. Man City might be a bit of an exception just due to the huge squad they have. But generally the better teams play there better performing players regularly.
Smith does make his subs too late, yesterday Barkley had his shorts on, on about 55 minutes, but then nothing for another 12 minutes, don’t know if the sending off confused things for Smith but he needed to be more decisive then.
But generally I think playing the players that are performing better is not unusual to be honest.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #198 on: March 04, 2021, 09:18:59 PM »
I didn't have too much of a problem with Nakamba starting or staying on personally as long as he did. I didn't really see the point in bringing Sanson on for him. That sub could have been used for Trez. I thought that was needed more.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #199 on: March 04, 2021, 09:29:22 PM »
One thing we desperately need is tenacity when we concede first. I think we have gained one point all season after falling behind. That is not good enough, and implies some fragility.

I am extremely happy with our progress this season but the ability to eke out a result when not playing well would probably have seen us gain an extra half dozen points.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #200 on: March 04, 2021, 09:33:33 PM »
I didn't have too much of a problem with Nakamba starting or staying on personally as long as he did. I didn't really see the point in bringing Sanson on for him. That sub could have been used for Trez. I thought that was needed more.

I disagree, the most important sub we could've made yesterday would've been to get Luiz on as soon as it became clear they weren't interested in anything but defending their box. His range of passing and ability to move the ball quicker might've led to more chances like the one where the red card came out. That was the only time all game where we got behind them. The final pass from us was poor but that was because we were playing in front of 2 banks of 4 with no space to be found, we needed to mix things up more.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #201 on: March 04, 2021, 09:59:09 PM »
I think what’s he’s trying to say is that for example, Luiz is a better all round player In that role that Marvellous, however as Marvellous had a good game at Leeds that the “in form” player will always get the nod.

I personally don’t think that theory has been applied consistently this season by DS.

whether he was right to start him or not the fact is he was still on the pitch in the 67th minute when they were down to 10 men and we were one nil behind
Explain that one

67th minute

Dean Smith's subs nearly always follow the same blueprint, no matter the actual situation on the pitch.
This is a problem.

The substitutions are nearly always done on a like for like basis. This might be largely ok when we are winning, but when we should try something different to get back into a game, we never do.

The coaches must either have no other tactical formation  or choose not to use it. When it’s working well and the players are on form, then it’s good, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that we don’t adapt well if we fall behind.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #202 on: March 04, 2021, 10:18:34 PM »
One thing we desperately need is tenacity when we concede first. I think we have gained one point all season after falling behind. That is not good enough, and implies some fragility.

I am extremely happy with our progress this season but the ability to eke out a result when not playing well would probably have seen us gain an extra half dozen points.

I agree that our record after falling behind is poor but we've certainly eked out plenty of results when not playing well this season, particularly the last few weeks. And our record when going ahead is extraordinary. For whatever reason we look less of an attacking force post Covid. Our solidity means we can defend leads but it makes it hard to get back into games when we fall behind. Buggered if I know how to solve it but I think we looked our best this season with Jack in midfield so would like to see that again when he's fit.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #203 on: March 07, 2021, 05:56:51 PM »
Horribly frustrating result, where only one team was out to play football.

Elmo went to sleep for the goal, but it was a fluke in any case; McGoalDrought, as Forest fans used to call him, hit the ball into the ground, it bounced over Emi and in off the bar. In off the bar, did I hear you say? Yes apparently it has been known to happen, just not to us!

Agree with those who say Marvelous should have come off sooner -not because he had a bad game at all, but because he was surplus to requirements against an ultra-negative home side.

The crossing was beyond bad, the one exception from Targett was when Ollie was unlucky not to score. We saw some sharp passing and moving before the break but not much after. Tiredness of the players? Who knows?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal