collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 10 Man Sheffield United 1 Aston Villa 0 Post Match Thread  (Read 14893 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: 10 Man Sheffield United 1 Aston Villa 0 Post Match Thread
« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2021, 10:35:41 AM »
I could understand if Smith didn't rate Guilbert and sold him. I don't understand sending him on loan. Elmo is finished and I like Elmo.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2021, 10:39:59 AM »
As disapointing as last night was, we could have gone within 3 points of the top 4. Whilst it's frustrating putting it like that, it also shows how far we've bloody come since nearly going down.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2021, 11:37:08 AM »
We should have won that game quite easily. Credit has to go to Sheff U for the way they defended.  If anybody watched the Man City game 2nd half against Wolves the previous night you would see how it is possible to break down the parked bus. It's not by humping in hopeful crosses..when we actually managed that, it's by facing their goal taking players on and putting in players who have already made runs into space. We don't have the players of Man City's caliber but we do have players who can play better than what we seen last night which brings me to Barkley when he came on.  A number of times a ball was played into his feet with his back to goal and what does he do? he plays it back to where it came from which was no different than the person he replaced. Why not turn and take a player on, he has that in him but chooses the easy option.

That said, McGinn should have scored, we should have had a nailed on pen and Berti's mazy run deserved to be topped with a goal.   

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #168 on: March 04, 2021, 11:56:01 AM »
This has happened too many times, we play well against tough oppositition then turn in terrible displays against cellar dwellers. It must be an attitude problem with some players. Smith needs to sort it.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2021, 11:57:28 AM »
As disapointing as last night was, we could have gone within 3 points of the top 4. Whilst it's frustrating putting it like that, it also shows how far we've bloody come since nearly going down.

Even making due allowance for that, it was still a crap result.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2021, 12:05:48 PM »
I don’t understand people trying to contextualise this result in terms of this season versus last. Those results were v City, manure, Arsenal and Liverpool. Let’s call this what it was. Poor all around. Wrong team selection and horrific Jurassic park  football specially against 10 men. No one, from Smith to all those who entered the pitch, deserve any redemption. Let’s do better on Saturday.

Offline spartacuss

« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2021, 12:09:15 PM »
Trying to be a bit more rational this morning after steaming away watching Ramsdale being given catching practice for 30 minutes. What were they thinking to imagine that constantly doing the same thing would produce a different result?

I never expected anything from our 'Mighty Whites' encounter, so those 3 points kind of makes up for last night's brainfart of a performance.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2021, 12:51:13 PM »
We're a counter attacking team - defensively well organised and designed to hit teams on the break with fast pace. We're not yet at a stage where we dominate possession, continually create and be ruthless with our finishing. We've shown glimpses of that (Liverpool) but not on a consistent basis. And even with the Liverpool game, their tactics of playing a ridiculously high line even when their press wasn't working and sticking with those tactics really played into our hands. When we've played teams like Burnley who are just happy to sit and contain, we don't yet have that ingenuity to know how to break it down. It just highlights the next phases in our development that we have to work on in the next couple of transfer windows and on the training ground.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #173 on: March 04, 2021, 01:21:19 PM »
Cannot be many supporters begging the ref not to send an opposition player off - but i was as we seemingly dont have a clue to play against 10 men.

Although collectively we were not at it tonight i have to raise special mention for John McGinn - if we are to progress next season then im sorry but John just cannot be a regular starter in this division - great squad player to have but not 1st team.

I also thought it was Watkins worst game - his control (apart from one instance) was actually Heskyesque and it resulted in the ball coming straight back at us.

We have made huge strides this season but if ever there was a club that builds fans expectations only to shatter them just a quickly i struggle to think of one better at it than ours  :-\

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #174 on: March 04, 2021, 02:22:24 PM »
Cannot be many supporters begging the ref not to send an opposition player off - but i was as we seemingly dont have a clue to play against 10 men.

Although collectively we were not at it tonight i have to raise special mention for John McGinn - if we are to progress next season then im sorry but John just cannot be a regular starter in this division - great squad player to have but not 1st team.

I also thought it was Watkins worst game - his control (apart from one instance) was actually Heskyesque and it resulted in the ball coming straight back at us.

We have made huge strides this season but if ever there was a club that builds fans expectations only to shatter them just a quickly i struggle to think of one better at it than ours  :-\

It's the bit of guile and patience in midfield that was lacking I thought. Smith sent on two experienced players to provide that but they didn't really make an impact. It became a bit predictable with AEG and McGinn slinging in crosses from the left (we had little or nothing from the opposite flank that I recall).

Of course it was a terrible result last night but the reaction regarding the performance on here is very much over the top. It's not often you see a premier league team pretty much camped inside their 18 yard box for the last thirty minutes or more. Even at that we still had enough chances and Ramsdale made a brilliant save from Konsa. The likes of Liverpool and Man United have had similar troubles of late breaking the low block. The one player who is possibly more skilled than anyone in the division in doing that was unfortunately sat at home.

As an aside, I thought both Sheff Utd full backs were brilliant last night. We couldn't get past them.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #175 on: March 04, 2021, 03:29:08 PM »
Martinez 7 No chance with the goal but kicking a bit off
Elmo 3- awful and responsible for the goal.
Konsa 8 Did not put a foot wrong
Mings 8 also tried to give some energy to our lackluster attack
Target- 6- poor by his recent standards
Marvelous -61/2
Mcginn 7- at least he showed enthusiasm and energy but lacked quality
Ramsey 6 Got over run at times and faded badly, ran out of legs should have been pulled earlier
AEG-5 Awful crossing no end product
Traore 4 Dreadfull use of the ball in good positions
Watkins 5 was easily marked out of the game but no support or service
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 05:58:59 PM by ChicagoLion »

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #176 on: March 04, 2021, 04:19:39 PM »
Agree with all of that CV but you missed out Marvelous.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #177 on: March 04, 2021, 04:36:18 PM »
It’s no good battering the door down in the last 10 minutes
We should have been doing that since the man got sent off and we were one nil down

Whats a defensive midfielder not known for creating danger doing on the pitch in the 67th minute
67 minutes !
why did we start him in the first place against Sheffield United (not jumping on the bandwagon I said this in the Nakamba thread before the game)

I sell lorries for a living and even I know Luiz is twice the footballer Nakamba is
He’s a class player Sheffield United would’ve been a good game for him to regain his confidence
It’s pretty basic stuff really

So basic it’s worrying really

67 minutes ffs

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #178 on: March 04, 2021, 05:02:50 PM »
We should have been doing that since the man got sent off and we were one nil down

Whats a defensive midfielder not known for creating danger doing on the pitch in the 67th minute
67 minutes !
why did we start him in the first place against Sheffield United (not jumping on the bandwagon I said this in the Nakamba thread before the game)

I sell lorries for a living and even I know Luiz is twice the footballer Nakamba is
He’s a class player Sheffield United would’ve been a good game for him to regain his confidence

67 minutes ffs
Marvellous was excellent against Leeds and earned his start last night. Luiz lost his place after some really poor performances. Marv repaid the managers faith in him with a poor performance. His ball distribution was awful at times. Deano has learned something. Marv is probably never going to cut it on a regular basis and Elmo is another one who proved the same point. It was his absolute brain fart that cost us at least a draw. They were galvanised by it and had something to defend which they did gallantly. Something they're excellent at which they've rarely had chance to prove this season. They got their noses in front at Old Trafford and held on to the points. It's what they're good at.Without Jack we lacked the guile and genuine star quality to break them down. We learn. We move on. We improve. That's the way it's going to be for some time. Once we get everyone back fit I fancy us for a barnstorming end to the season.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #179 on: March 04, 2021, 05:20:43 PM »

67 minutes !

67 minutes ffs
Marvellous was excellent against Leeds and earned his start last night. Luiz lost his place after some really poor performances. Marv repaid the managers faith in him with a poor performance. His ball distribution was awful at times. Deano has learned something. Marv is probably never going to cut it on a regular basis and Elmo is another one who proved the same point. It was his absolute brain fart that cost us at least a draw. They were galvanised by it and had something to defend which they did gallantly. Something they're excellent at which they've rarely had chance to prove this season. They got their noses in front at Old Trafford and held on to the points. It's what they're good at.Without Jack we lacked the guile and genuine star quality to break them down. We learn. We move on. We improve. That's the way it's going to be for some time. Once we get everyone back fit I fancy us for a barnstorming end to the season.

He was excellent against Leeds
But he was there to do a specific job which he did

Saying he earned his place in the next game is exactly the problem
It’s championship manager thinking it’s small time

Play The best players you have to fit your tactics against what ever opposition you face
Simple as that

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal