collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Half term report  (Read 3537 times)

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: Half term report
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2021, 07:24:07 PM »
I thought Footy is being a bit stingy with his marks, I’d give Martinez a 10 and Target and Konsa a 9 with Mings and Cash being a solid 8. Our defensive record has been pretty exceptional.

Jack definitely gets a 10. What a player and even when slightly off the pace still creates something in a game, normally at least two a game.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2021, 07:27:28 PM »
Footy is the L’Equipe player rater of H and V.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2021, 09:42:09 PM »
Jack - 8.5 Best English midfielder and most influential to our great team. It would be higher if he took pens and scored more goals. Cant fault the assists as that's down to his team mates. Unplayable at times and unbelievable to watch.
Pushing on with effective end product of goals scored and releasing passes at right time to me would see 9 out of 10. As would less yellow cards. For me has aspects that need improving. Passionate and petulant rather than aggressive must monitor this side of things for discipline both on and off field. Fantastic with ball at his feet would not swap him for any other premier league player in his position. Hoping he goes on to show World class level and progression by winning matches and scoring that worldy maradonna type goal we are all waiting on (it's coming!) Second half of season hope he continues with his brilliant creative play, his mesmeric play and please a few more goals!  Best performer and best player to watch . Super Jack just gets better!
Generally agree with your assessments, but one thing that I think Jack gets harshly criticised for is his supposed lack of goals. He's a skillful winger. If you look at, say, Stanley Matthews - he rarely scored more than 3 or 4 goals in a season. Yet I doubt anyone would question that he was one of the greatest footballers England has ever produced.

In the Premier League, Jack's roughly speaking been a 8-10 goal a season player for league games only, or 10-12 if you include cup games. That's on a par with Matthews best season, and significantly more than the season he won the Ballon d'Or (4 goals in 37 games iirc).

I use Matthews as example because, watching highlights clips of him, he looks a very similar player to me (albeit on the other wing and somewhat handicapped by the heavier ball).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 09:45:41 PM by algy »

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2021, 09:45:40 PM »
I dont care who scores as long as we score more than them.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2021, 09:59:19 PM »
The problem I have with this is I can only think of 1-2 tackles each from Cash, McGinn or Luiz that were yellow card worthy and I can't think of any games where any of them were giving away fouls regularly. Most of the bookings, in my opinion, have been because we're competitive and referees are just a bit too happy to go to the pocket if you press and niggle like we do despite us rarely committing dangerous fouls.

McGinn has been very unlucky, he only committed 16 fouls all season and has got 5 yellow cards from it compared to, for example, Hojbjerg who has 4 yellows from 40 fouls or Soucek with 3 from 38. Cash is similar to McGinn, 5 yellow cards for 23 fouls. Targett is probably the worst though, 4 yellows cards having conceded 11 free kicks all season.

The number of bookings makes us look a much dirtier team than we really are and mean we've had a rough time time with suspensions that isn't deserved.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2021, 10:13:29 PM »
I thought Footy is being a bit stingy with his marks, I’d give Martinez a 10 and Target and Konsa a 9 with Mings and Cash being a solid 8. Our defensive record has been pretty exceptional.

Jack definitely gets a 10. What a player and even when slightly off the pace still creates something in a game, normally at least two a game.
So for me I mark down Cash and McGinn for putting themselves at suspension. And for all their good play it's an area that's room for improvement for both of them.
Besides it's a matter of personal choice how one wants to evaluate and judge a players half term performance. The rest of squad ratings based on overall matches played by each and contributions to the outcomes

I could never give a 10 to someone because that would be quite staggering for me to see such high numbers and levels by a player. But I can certainly understand people judge differently and rate by numbers according to own metrics , observations and measures.
I respect your figures and ratings. I can't go as so high as see this as a team and players that are still learning and
developing. Great half season though. Fantastic!

Ain’t it just! It’s so far so good and great fun to watch.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal