collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by amfy
[Today at 07:14:31 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Rank the players - season so far  (Read 5988 times)

Online nigel

Re: Rank the players - season so far
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 05:00:30 PM »
For me Jack wouldn’t make my top 5 because I know he’s brilliant.
 He’s our best player this season as he was the two previous seasons.
So I’ve looked at it slightly different
My top 5

1 Martinez
2 Konsa
3 Targett
4 Cash
5 Watkins

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2021, 05:31:27 PM »
With the goals he's scored, Traore should be higher than 13th, surely.
Risso's top 5 is fair and Mings has been very disappointing.

I don’t think that’s fair at all. I think he’s had a very good season overall. Unfortunately he has some clangers in there that takes the focus away from a lot of the really good work that he does.

Offline Olof's Beard

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2021, 06:12:18 PM »

I don’t think that’s fair at all. I think he’s had a very good season overall. Unfortunately he has some clangers in there that takes the focus away from a lot of the really good work that he does.

Exactly. We've got clean sheets in over half our matches and Mings has played in every one of them. Sometimes I think a piece of criticism seems to pick up its own momentum and distort the reality, he hasn't been really disappointing at all. If as the 'leader' of our defence has been so poor, then there's no way we'd have the 3rd best defensive record in the trademarked best league in the world.

He was great last night, like a magnet to Barcode crosses in the first half and there were a couple of moments where he played safe by sticking the ball in the stands or going back to Martinez which shows he's learning. He's made a few errors this season but most players make mistakes. The back five are working together as a unit and Mings deserves his share of the credit.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 09:39:57 PM by Olof's Beard »

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2021, 06:35:56 PM »
Exactly. We've got clean sheets in over half our matches and Mings has played in every one of them. Sometimes I think a piece of criticism seems to pick up its own momentum and distort the reality, he hasn't been really disappointing at all. If as the 'leader' of our defence, then there's no way we'd have the 3rd best defensive record in the trademarked best league in the world.
He was great last night, like a magnet to Barcode crosses in the first half and there were a couple of moments where he played safe by sticking the ball in the stands or going back to Martinez which shows he's learning. He's made a few errors this season but most players make mistakes. The back five are working together as a unit and Mings deserves his share of the credit.
I take your point. My expression of disappointment comes from high expectations.
You're right to refer to the overall defensive performance, of which Mings has been a big part.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2021, 06:40:44 PM »
I couldn’t call it as there’s an argument for each player at different times. The turnaround with some is just incredible and adding a bit of quality to the existing squad had been phenomenal in improving everyone.

One thing though which is, when was the last time we have had two superb full backs? It must be way back when Charles and Wright were playing. One of those positions has been a problem for so many years. It’s been years I reckon when we’ve had both positions filled with quality at the same time.

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2021, 07:02:54 PM »
Come on why the negative comments on Mingsy? He has a mistake in him but as a percentage of all the cracking blocks, organising and moving the ball forward its miniscule
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 08:43:03 AM by stubbsyandy »

Online nigel

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2021, 08:09:18 PM »
Come on why the negative comments on Mingsy? He has a mistake in him but as a per elf all the cracking blocks, organising and moving the ball forward it miniscule

Agree.
He could prevent a dozen goals a game, but people would go on about the one slip up.
Let’s cut him some slack, he’s an integral part of our very good defence 👍

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2021, 06:25:50 AM »
Easy! 10

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2021, 08:37:53 AM »
Come on why the negative comments on Mingsy? He has a mistake in him but as a per elf all the cracking blocks, organising and moving the ball forward it miniscule

Agree.
He could prevent a dozen goals a game, but people would go on about the one slip up.
Let’s cut him some slack, he’s an integral part of our very good defence 👍
It seems to be in the DNA of a section of our support. It's as though there's always got to be a player who gets a lot of undue criticism. It seems to be Mings at the moment. It was Targett earlier this season. I agree that Mings is prone to the occasional error but he's such an all action player who throws himself into things so often mistakes are bound to happen. Overall our defence has been superb this season and have kept NINE clean sheets and only Man City have a better record.. It doesn't make them above criticism but I think they should be cut a bit of slack sometimes.

Edit: stats off the top my head not fact checked.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 08:42:24 AM by The Edge »

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2021, 09:23:18 AM »
The changes I have to Risso's 13 are Ollie goes up to 3rd place instead of Ezri and also have Dougie climbing a place too. Ezri I have at number 5 and have Targett above Cash just for improvement alone. McGinn stays at number 8 with Bertrand climbing above Barkley. The only difference I have to the last 3 is I have Tyrone above Trez.

1 - Jack Grealish
2 - Emiliano Martinez
3 - Ollie Watkins
4 - Douglas Luiz
5 - Ezri Konsa
6 - Matt Targett
7 - Matt Cash
8 - John McGinn
9 - Bertrand Traore
10 - Ross Barkley
11 - Anwar El Ghazi
12 - Tyrone Mings
13 - Trezeguet

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2021, 09:27:48 AM »
Mings is still the most likely one to make a daft error, so having him near the bottom seems fair.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2021, 09:50:59 AM »
Mings is still the most likely one to make a daft error, so having him near the bottom seems fair.

I don't think that's true. Traore especially and El Ghazi often make mistakes to lose the ball, McGinn and Dougie from time to time misplace passes. As a centre back mistakes usually lead to a chance on goal or a goal so have bigger consequences.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2021, 09:53:26 AM »

I don't think that's true. Traore especially and El Ghazi often make mistakes to lose the ball, McGinn and Dougie from time to time misplace passes. As a centre back mistakes usually lead to a chance on goal or a goal so have bigger consequences.

I think he meant most likely of the defenders.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2021, 10:16:15 AM »
Too hard

Jack, Martinez, Konsa, Cash and Luiz would be top 5

Targett most improved

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2021, 10:26:27 AM »
Not sure about rankings but two things stand out for me - first, the recruitment in the window after promotion was much better that it seemed during the ensuing relegation battle.  We now have at least 5 or 6 very good or excellent players from that window (Targett, Konsa, Luiz, Heaton, Mings)  and couple of others who are doing ok and are good back up (Nakamba, Hause) or for whom the jury is still out (Wesley, Fred). Maybe Pitarch had a raw deal but difficult to say which were his recommendations.

Second we finally seem to have a coaching set up that improves players.
Not sure how much of a difference Shakespeare has made but the improvement in our general play and quite a few individuals seems to have coincided with his arrival.  Targett is the biggest revelation but others have come on leaps and bounds as well. Great to see anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal