collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Man Citeh XIV 2 v Aston Villa 0 Post Match Thread.  (Read 16655 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Man Citeh XIV 2 v Aston Villa 0 Post Match Thread.
« Reply #240 on: January 21, 2021, 01:13:04 PM »
Rodri is offside, he never becomes onside. You are not allowed to be active if you are offside.
Its fucking nuts and dishonest.

Online not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #241 on: January 21, 2021, 01:13:21 PM »
Ex-premier leagure referee Mark Halsey says: No Goal! https://talksport.com/football/821182/

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #242 on: January 21, 2021, 01:21:06 PM »
The "phase of play" is absolute horseshit, where is the definition between phases? It seems that since the introduction of VAR, it's been used as a cover all to excuse mistakes. "It was a different phase of play" my arse.

Surely the ball played forward and played by Mings is within one phase?? You can't just let the ref "guess".

Fucking bollocks.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #243 on: January 21, 2021, 01:24:46 PM »
Ex-premier leagure referee Mark Halsey says: No Goal! https://talksport.com/football/821182/

Well he can Fcukin do one as well.  He scored a free kick against us for Arsenal once.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #244 on: January 21, 2021, 01:27:18 PM »
The penalty decision was just as bad to be honest.  Cash was really close to the player, and had his back to him.  You know, exactly the sorts of decisions that they said wouldn't be given any more.

And VAR was decided within 30 seconds !!

I dont want us to become a team that other fans think we just whine about VAR decisions (although there is enough evidence to prove we have had some shockers against us) as they will always throw the Sheffield united "ghost goal" against us.

So  - onto the game

Martinez - probably the best keeper in the league - as good with his feet as his hands  9/10

Targett = Most improved player by a country mile - not a lot of attacking flair last night but he was up against Sterling so last thing you needed was to give him space. The biggest difference is 50/50 balls - i used to wince everytime he seemingly bottled  them - now i am surprised if he does not win them - fair play. Only LB better  than him is Chilwell 8/10

Mings - i do think he has a cock up in him each game and sometimes thinks he is better than he actually is - but nothing bit praise how he led his warriors into battle last night. Awful ref decision decided the goal not him 8/10

Konsa - Just did what we expected - unassuming, totally professional  7.5/10

Cash - Love the guy but was targeted due to lack of support from Bert - Like MIngs let down by shit ref rather than himself 8/10

McGinn - worked tirelessly but air shot was awful after great opening created - be interesting now if Ramsey picks up the baton Saturday and claims the shirt - 7/10

Luiz - Clean and tidy in possession and works his nads off - great bit of professionalism to take one for team with  an important foul when they broke. 7.5 / 10

Jack - Quiet for him but work very hard to help Targett - really wish Ross had put him in 1st half - great pass to SJM - 7.5 / 10

Bert - Typified his game - some tremendous bits some lazy bits - i think he could tear Jawdies a new arse - 7/10

Ross - obviously started to tire but first half was pulling city back line all over the place - sometimes tried a trick too far or a touch too much but match sharpness will return 7/10

Ollie - worked as usual with not a lot to feed on but never let the defence rest 6.5/10

Deano  - fir play to him - love his passion and steely resolve even in the face of proper arsehole officals

This team and my love for them 2000000000000000 / 10

Bottle, guts, team work, work ethic, togetherness - been a long time coming but loving every minute of it

I want Newcastle to look like their manager face when we have finished with them

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #245 on: January 21, 2021, 01:51:13 PM »
Just posted same in Jon Moss thread but on the motd comms Guy Mowbray said VAR check complete whilst City players still celebrating so being generous 10 seconds, they’d have never had time to watch 2/3 replays to check the decision was correct.  I have no doubt they spent rest of that game looking up a rule to justify a poor decision by officials hence Walton’s post Stockley Park briefing u-turn

Sure I heard a commentator say in a game a few weeks ago that VAR no longer checks phases of play prior to the act of scoring. Don't know if I heard that right or if it is applicable in the csee tonight, but pretty sure that is what was said.

That said, the ref and lino should have been able to make that decision on the field between them without too much hassle.

Absolutely, this is what VAR is doing for linesmen, where before they would flag immediately they now keep the flag down knowing full well they can wait for VAR to make the call for them.
 Moss would have taken this into account by not stopping play sooner, he cocked up knowing VAR would help him by not going against him.
A similar sort of thing to a foul on Grealish not being punished properly in the first quarter as it then gives the official a decision he doesn't want to have to make later in the game.

Online nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #246 on: January 21, 2021, 01:51:53 PM »
Rodri is offside, he never becomes onside. You are not allowed to be active if you are offside.
Its fucking nuts and dishonest.

Everyone understands that so why they are talking about phases and receiving the ball is all smoke and mirrors. A player has to get back onside to be active in the game again otherwise he is gaining a potential unfair advantage from being in that position. That’s always been at the core of the offside laws. The only exception is where a pass is intercepted (pretty much always to a goalkeeper).

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #247 on: January 21, 2021, 01:56:45 PM »
I thought it was a penalty tbh even with the rule change that stopped the joke early season ones being given.

Yes close range but Cash didn't have his hand down, it was above his head and header was going back across goal towards another City player so don't have a big issue with that.

It was different to the incident first half when I think ball hit knee of one of their defenders and bounced up towards the hand.

He gave away a similar one just outside the box v Southampton I think which Ward Prowse scored from.

If it was 0-0 though I doubt that sort of incident would've occurred anyway as we'd have had more defenders in the box so all on the joke first goal.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #248 on: January 21, 2021, 03:03:45 PM »

Just seen Mings twitter post about it. "In Hindsight I should have cleared it". Yes Mings, maybe if you realised that a lot the last two seasons we would have probably 10 goals less against us. Last night the Offside should have saved him but we wouldn't be talking about it at all if he remembered this more.

Offline Clive W

« Reply #249 on: January 21, 2021, 03:49:06 PM »
Interesting to read the offside rule introduced in 1925 (and which stood until 1990) and compare it with the current version.
The 1925-90 version was clear and unambiguous whereas the current version is a complete horlicks and can be interpreted to suit any agenda.

Incidentally I think under the old rule the goal would have stood as Mings “played” the ball and put Rhodri onside

Link to minutes of 1925 FA meeting adopting the new law
https://ssbra.org/ifab/assets/pdf/1925min.pdf

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #250 on: January 21, 2021, 10:12:21 PM »
Burnley got what we didn't get last night - a decent ref.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #251 on: January 25, 2021, 11:37:04 PM »
Some interesting points raised on here.

Here's my take:

1. Having Halsey in our corner really isn't much of a help with his own history of crushing ineptitude.

2. If some see us as hypocritical VAR whiners, perhaps they might like VAR to review the two penalty shouts we had in the same game. Thanks, once again, Michael Oliver!!

3. Re Mings's sending-off v. Palace; had the VAR official wound the play back a few seconds, he would have seen borderline sociopath Zaha smack Mings in the stomach before the incident which saw both players booked. Zaha's was a clear red-card offence.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal