collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle post match thread  (Read 21137 times)

Offline DrGonzo

Re: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle post match thread
« Reply #300 on: January 24, 2021, 06:50:46 PM »
We are amazing.  I just watched the highlights, missed the game because we were doing an online performance thing for our mate's 50th.  In the 3 minutes there was not one Newcastle effort shown.  Our defence is ticking I don't care what any of you may think of Mings, he is the organiser and the beating heart of that back 4.  Did anybody read the Guardian article about Konsa?  He rates Tyrone so highly abd credits him and Terry as the major factors in his continuing improvement.

The mids get there game on, Luiz is unfussy and holds the the rest in shape, McGinn runs all day long....

Traore may not track back as much as we like but he adds another dimension going forward and maybe we should accept his frailties and adapt to them?

This team is, in terms of ability, probably the best I have seen.  I am so proud to be a Villa fan at this time.  We are exemplary.

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #301 on: January 24, 2021, 06:59:37 PM »
It was a 2-0 thrashing! Delighted with how we play, our togetherness, our skill!

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #302 on: January 24, 2021, 07:56:35 PM »
Our team are currently one of the most entertaining teams to watch in the country. Talented players all over the pitch who are growing match by match and a manager and coaches that want to win in an entertaining way, wow aren’t we lucky

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #303 on: January 24, 2021, 08:00:29 PM »
I never noticed this until I have just this on Twitter. All eleven Newcastle players were in the box when Jack found Traoré.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #304 on: January 24, 2021, 08:27:57 PM »
I completely agree with the decision to sub Jack.  The game was finished - result not in doubt - a few minutes left to play and obviously tiredness beginning to creep in.  Jack had just had a little bit of "afters" with Shelvey and it only needed him to make a challenge that was a fraction late or something similar and it would be a yellow card and out of the Burnley match. Far better to upset him and bring him off and be available for Turf Moor than to be sitting in the stands for 90 minutes that night.
Hadn’t really thought of that, but think you have nailed why they took him off. Just need to get him and Targett through the next two games without a booking and the slate is wiped clean I think.
In terms of goalies, I’ve seen Rimmer albeit sparingly in the early 80s, through Spink, Poole, Butler, Bozzie, Sorensen, Carson, James, Friedal, Guzan, Given, Collini, Nyland, the fat sub fella, Steer, Heaton, there’s probably a few I’ve missed.
Not fair to judge them all to the same criteria as some weren’t there long enough, or like Heaton got badly injured. Bozzie was always my favourite, but as mad as it sounds, only 17 games in, Martinez is fast becoming my favourite ever villa keeper. He just never looks like he’s  not going to catch a cross, his long range passing is mostly sublime, he also seems to be a key character in the dressing room and seems to love playing for us.
Martinez has everything. But the standout features for me are his positional sense and his ball control and distribution. He can pass a ball way better than some of the outfield players we’ve had in the recent past. It’s almost like having a sweeper as an extra player. I think it was the City game where he came charging out and headed the ball away and he came out and cleared against Newcastle at least once. This puts him ahead of Bossie in my view.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #305 on: January 24, 2021, 08:48:58 PM »
Cruised to a win , 2nd half we over played as it was so easy.

Marv did very well but thats been a recurring theme , any player coming in Hause,AEG have all done well.In Jack ,Bert,AEG and Trez we have 4 players who can all score and create it gives us alot of options going forward.

Konsa tough not that tested was a rock , if Mings is England quality he is as well
Southgate could do a lot worse than pick the entire Villa back 4 on their current form.

Online Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #306 on: January 24, 2021, 09:25:43 PM »
Cruised to a win , 2nd half we over played as it was so easy.

Marv did very well but thats been a recurring theme , any player coming in Hause,AEG have all done well.In Jack ,Bert,AEG and Trez we have 4 players who can all score and create it gives us alot of options going forward.

Konsa tough not that tested was a rock , if Mings is England quality he is as well
Southgate could do a lot worse than pick the entire Villa back 4 on their current form.
The media would never allow that!

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #307 on: January 25, 2021, 12:43:24 AM »
If you discount the two dodgy penalties and the Rule 11 goal, that’s one genuine goal in two games against City and Utd. It’s not like we were lucky it wasn’t a lot more. Which it would’ve been in previous seasons.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #308 on: January 25, 2021, 08:16:40 AM »
On Friday night I really enjoyed the first half, but got very frustrated that we didn't go on to funeral them second half, but reflecting on it since, how refreshing is it to have an easy win where we can take our foot of the gas and be fancy dans due to a great first half performance.  And why should they go and risk injury/suspension etc. by going hell for leather 2nd half. 

Offline The Fish

« Reply #309 on: January 26, 2021, 09:42:33 AM »
....In the 3 minutes there was not one Newcastle effort shown.  ...

There's a really good reason for that. We had 1 shot on target from about 25yds, right at the beginning of the match. After that? Nowt.

It's so stark the difference between the two clubs. Both fairly recently promoted, one on the up with ambitious owners, the other heading down with barely a whimper.

No complaints about the result whatsoever, you lot absolutely deserved all 3 pts, if they handed out minus points we should have picked up a couple of them too.

Quite how Bruce has a Premier League job in 2021 is beyond me, he's proven over his career that he's not up to the rigours of the top flight. Hell, he couldn't even get you lot promoted from the Championship. I honestly had hoped that a loss to you would have been the final nail, but instead we've appointed another assistant coach and it appears Bruce's job is safe until the end of the season. Can only see the trigger being pulled early if we're in the bottom three for 2-3 fixtures.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal