collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Academy v Liverpool All Stars FA Cup 3rd Rd post match thread  (Read 20033 times)

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Aston Villa Academy v Liverpool All Stars FA Cup 3rd Rd post match thread
« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2021, 12:10:26 PM »
Last night was just the tip of the iceberg of how well our club is currently being run (after so long). From the top we have what seem to be a pair of committed owners who do their job and allow the rest of the hierarchy  to do theirs; we have a chief exec who speaks sparingly but eloquently and to the point when necessary; we have a media friendly manager who grew up supporting the club and has been given time to impose his mark on the playing staff, backed up by a team of assistants who seem to know what they're doing; we have a stalwart ex-player in Delaney (I used to love watching  him) who is developing a very young bunch of U-23s, some of whom will surely progress to greater things, whilst ensuring their educational needs are also catered for; we have a club captain who bleeds claret and blue and a 17-year-old young gun who looks as though he will follow in his footsteps. We have a training complex second to none and a 'proper' football stadium which is a delight to be in. But best of all, we have an approach to the game which respects the people who support the club, the local community and which has a 'let's-just-get-on-with-it' approach to the profession; no bleating, no histrionics, no petty mind games, just people in the right positions, doing what they know and at last getting results. As we saw last night, that wasn't just the academy, that was the whole club on show and I'm looking forward to following the group over the next few seasons when we get rid of this viral curse and slowly break into the hearts and minds of the media who currently fuel the hype surrounding the so-called big six. Well done Aston Villa.
(Written under the influence of no more than a black coffee and a couple of rounds of toast!)

I was thinking along very similar lines this morning, Martyn, but you have put it much better than I would have. Everything about the club feels right at the moment.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2021, 12:14:55 PM »
Superbly put Martyn, it’s all starting to come together, right though the club.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2021, 12:20:55 PM »
Yes, that's very nicely stated.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2021, 12:33:39 PM »
Excellent post, Martyn.

We endured the lost decade, but the next ten years look like they might be shaping up to be momentous for the club and its fans.  It'll be fun!

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #154 on: January 09, 2021, 12:39:01 PM »
Great performance from genuine kids. Klopp embaressed himself last night.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2021, 12:46:57 PM »
Interesting to see Michael Owen go from grumpy old pro to being lit up by young Louie.
Oh and Koop was dismissive and arrogant in his pre match interview.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2021, 12:52:35 PM »
Klopp is an absolute twat. Sorry VCTM, but he really is.

Shall we play a game of Guess When Klopp Next Moans About Playing Too Many Games or Not Having Enough Subs?

I'll go for Tuesday.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #157 on: January 09, 2021, 12:56:16 PM »
Liverpool have got 11 games in 34 days by the time they start playing ManUre. I hope they regret playing a squad of seasoned internationals against a weakened youth team and pick up loads of niggly little injuries. He can't have anything to say then, this was his chance to have a mid winter break.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #158 on: January 09, 2021, 01:01:09 PM »
Not sure if this has already been raised but if Klipperty Klopp had picked a weakened side then it wouldn't have been same experience for kids and show how damn well they did.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #159 on: January 09, 2021, 01:02:08 PM »
I’m 61, most of my worst Villa supporting memories involve the FA Cup... Oldham, West Ham, Wembley 2000, Wembley 2015, Millwall, Millwall again, Wimbledon, Wimbledon, bloody Wimbledon yet again (on penalties) and so on.
Last night was the 61st FA Cup defeat of my life and most definitely the only one where at the final whistle I’ve punched the air and shouted proudly “well played lads”.
Next year we’ll win it!

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #160 on: January 09, 2021, 01:04:30 PM »
Bet the youngsters that had been training with the first team were dead envious last night

Sickening for them really.  Feel for them.  And who knows, presumably with them have that little bit extra than those who took their positions last night, what might have happened?

Does anyone with a better knowledge of the U23s know who those few might have been? Aaron Ramsey & Kaine Kesler?

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #161 on: January 09, 2021, 01:05:46 PM »
Following on from Martyn’s post above.  Four years ago today was the debacle at Wycombe.  Fans and players tearing into each other at the side of the pitch and the players being roundly abused as they got onto the coach afterwards.  Probably the shoddiest excuse for effort I’ve ever seen in a first team game.  The transformation to today is monumental.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #162 on: January 09, 2021, 01:17:52 PM »
Bet the youngsters that had been training with the first team were dead envious last night

Sickening for them really.  Feel for them.  And who knows, presumably with them have that little bit extra than those who took their positions last night, what might have happened?

Does anyone with a better knowledge of the U23s know who those few might have been? Aaron Ramsey & Kaine Kesler?

Kaine Kesler played (and was given man of the match) had Hayden on his shirt though. The missing youngsters were Philogene-Bidace, Wright, Chukwuemeka, A Ramsey and DJ Sturridge.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #163 on: January 09, 2021, 01:19:04 PM »
Following on from Martyn’s post above.  Four years ago today was the debacle at Wycombe.  Fans and players tearing into each other at the side of the pitch and the players being roundly abused as they got onto the coach afterwards.  Probably the shoddiest excuse for effort I’ve ever seen in a first team game.  The transformation to today is monumental.

5 years ago but yes, it's a big turnaround.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #164 on: January 09, 2021, 01:22:53 PM »

Kaine Kesler played (and was given man of the match) had Hayden on his shirt though. The missing youngsters were Philogene-Bidace, Wright, Chukwuemeka, A Ramsey and DJ Sturridge.

Thanks paul_e. Looks like a fair few have been training with the senior group.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal