collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ian.
[Today at 07:50:17 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:39:20 PM]

Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:38:12 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by nigel
[Today at 07:34:30 PM]

Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 07:34:00 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 07:33:20 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Smithy
[Today at 07:26:06 PM]

Crystal Palace by Fingers
[Today at 07:18:14 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Chelsea vs Aston Villa Pre-Match Thread - December 28th - 5.30pm  (Read 10995 times)

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Chelsea vs Aston Villa Pre-Match Thread - December 28th - 5.30pm
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2020, 12:17:31 PM »
FIFA 21 predicts a 2-1 defeat, I’m afraid. Ziyech puts them in front, Jack equalises with a brilliant solo goal after 79 minutes but in the 94th minute (despite only 2 minutes being added on) Giroud nods home the winner from a corner. Martinez saves a first half penalty.

All sounds worryingly plausible. Particularly as Giroud always scores against us

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2020, 12:33:21 PM »
Maybe Lampard isn’t all that, talks a good game but I just can’t help thinking there is a touch of “I am Frank Lampard and therefore I am a great manager”
We might lose today, but I think there is some truth to this. I thought he completed bottled the play off final against us when at derby. They’d just put in a great performance at Leeds, he then went over cautious and decided to play without a recognised striker against us. I also think he was far too cautious in the cup final against arsenal earlier this year. He’s been handed a relative silver platter with no real evidence to suggest he’s got what it takes managerially. Think I’d rather have Smith and his experiences at scraping around at Walsall and Brentford.

Online Taylor

« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2020, 01:14:30 PM »
I remember when camp Lawro was on pointless celebrities - he had to name a country beginning with A. With a smug look on his face he said “Alaska”. Fool.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2020, 01:15:34 PM »
We battered Palace with 10 men, so imagine what we'll do to Chelsea with 11.  I feel sorry for them. 5-0 Villa.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2020, 01:18:55 PM »
Maybe Lampard isn’t all that, talks a good game but I just can’t help thinking there is a touch of “I am Frank Lampard and therefore I am a great manager”
We might lose today, but I think there is some truth to this. I thought he completed bottled the play off final against us when at derby. They’d just put in a great performance at Leeds, he then went over cautious and decided to play without a recognised striker against us. I also think he was far too cautious in the cup final against arsenal earlier this year. He’s been handed a relative silver platter with no real evidence to suggest he’s got what it takes managerially. Think I’d rather have Smith and his experiences at scraping around at Walsall and Brentford.

I don't know how widespread amongst their supporters it might be, but I have in the past seen some less than complimentary opinions of his style. Bit too latter-day Mourinho. I must admit that when I've happened upon one of their games, "cavalier" isn't a descriptor that springs to mind. A bit like our tangerine-clad neighbours, they're not hampered by a lack of talent, and you feel they could easily play a more expansive game than they do.

Online Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2020, 01:23:13 PM »
We'll lose 2-1, sadly. We never do well there.

Ollie for us, to go on a long scoring run...

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2020, 01:35:30 PM »
FIFA 21 predicts a 2-1 defeat, I’m afraid. Ziyech puts them in front, Jack equalises with a brilliant solo goal after 79 minutes but in the 94th minute (despite only 2 minutes being added on) Giroud nods home the winner from a corner. Martinez saves a first half penalty.

All sounds worryingly plausible. Particularly as Giroud always scores against us

Nah, Ziyech is out.

Offline Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2020, 01:36:50 PM »
I agree Footy - I don't think there's a better time to face Chelsea than now. They were in excellent form in October/November, but looked totally devoid of ideas v Arsenal two days ago.

With the quick turnaround between matches, there won't be a huge amount Lampard will be able to do to switch things up. On the other hand we're coming in incredibly confident. It might not mean we'll win, but form and the circumstances around both teams are certainly favourable towards us.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2020, 01:42:03 PM »
We'll lose 2-1, sadly. We never do well there.

Ollie for us, to go on a long scoring run...

Our record at Stamford Bridge was actually quite decent for a few years about a decade back. MON had a couple of draws, Houllier got a 3-3 when we were in bottom 3 in 10/11 and then McLeish fluked a 3-1 on new year's eve 2011, rare game where Nzogbia and Ireland both actually played well and in the same game.

8-0 the next season ended all that and don't think we've claimed a point there since.

Was always a fixture though where we'd give them a good game compared to our annual surrenders every year in Manchester with the same sides so hopefully the same today.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2020, 01:44:04 PM »
That NYE game was utterly joyful and the one stand out moment from McLeishs season.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2020, 01:56:59 PM »
Traore and Konsa ought to be pretty fresh. We've only played 13 games so we ought to be free of fatigue generally.

I might consider Ramsey for McGinn, but that would be it.

Barkely and Trez might well need to come back in against Newton Heath, but I'm not a huge fan of 4 or 5 changes as it disrupts the flow. I'm sure the sub zero room, massages and what appears to be our natural extra fitness compared against most sides, should pull us through.

Online Baldy

« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2020, 02:07:36 PM »
Just read the Chelsea Message Board, the Shed. There is tonnes of praise for the villa, great to see.

Some think, stop Grealish and you stop villa.

They forgot about (a selection from) Watkins, Traore, McGinn, El Ghazi, Trez and Luiz. Our attacking full backs and goal scoring center halves.

Exciting times  :)

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2020, 02:28:53 PM »
Chelsea, Man United, Spurs and Everton

I don't want to be too greedy, so out that lot I'm going for 10 points, starting with a win today by the odd goal, Ollie to score the winner.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2020, 02:53:02 PM »
I think we should rest Grealish, McGinn and Cash today. We need to keep in mind more important must win fixtures coming up on 1 and 8 Jan.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2020, 02:56:51 PM »
They're not a happy lot at the Bridge. Plenty calling for Fat Frank's head. It seems the ideal time to play them. That said I fear a 2-1 defeat. Tactically, today should suit our counter-attacking style as it did with Palace once we went down to 10 men. There's a lovely write up about us in the Atlantic but it focuses too much on our youthful fitness and ignores the skill and talent our lads have. We may be the hardest working team in the league but we're also a jot to watch and punish teams.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal