collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Calum Chambers -signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:52:03 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Drummond
[Today at 05:49:46 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by paul_e
[Today at 05:48:23 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Nii Lamptey
[Today at 05:48:08 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 05:46:12 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:42:02 PM]

Robin Olsen by AV84
[Today at 05:29:05 PM]

Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:27:35 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:52:03 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Drummond
[Today at 05:49:46 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by paul_e
[Today at 05:48:23 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Nii Lamptey
[Today at 05:48:08 PM]

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 05:46:12 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 05:44:20 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:42:02 PM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 05:39:45 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Magnificent Aston Villa 3-0 Crystal Palace Post Match Thread  (Read 22023 times)

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
Re: The Magnificent Aston Villa 3-0 Crystal Palace Post Match Thread
« Reply #270 on: December 27, 2020, 11:49:04 AM »
Nice writeup from F365

Very good write-up! Villa Verve has a nice ring to it.

Online Baldy

« Reply #271 on: December 27, 2020, 11:58:36 AM »
Proud, just so proud.  :)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #272 on: December 27, 2020, 11:59:09 AM »
I thought that if he signs a new contract at Villa (which is apparently being negotiated) it negates the buy back clause with Man City?

My thoughts would be that the contract containing the buy back clause would be separate from Duggies playing contract.

It all sounds very complicated. I wish someone would put in a bid just so's I can get a handle on where we actually stand.
its not complicated. Based on what we know, Man City have an option to buy the player. Anyone putting in a bid would have to get Man Citeh to forgoe their option as Man citys option takes precedent.

But what is their option? That's what I'd like to know, because I feel I'm six months away from one or two metaphoric sleepless nights about this. I need details. Is it in perpetuity? (1) Is there a fixed fee, or is it scaled or performance linked in some way (2)? Would he automatically fulfil work permit criteria at his new club (3)? Why are we bothering with a new contract (4)? And such forth.

Based on what was reported and not denied and how transfers of this nature work:

1 - it was for the first two years and expires this summer. So they take him back this summer, or it expires and he's just another player / transfer like any other.

2 - it was more in year two. Rumours at the time were £25m last summer, then £35m this summer. But that easily could be wrong. And it's lower. Or higher.

3 - maybe, maybe not. But he probably would. He's now first-choice for the Brazilian national team, so it would be a huge surprise if he weren't granted one.

4 - because they might not sign him. Until they do, we need to assume that he's our player. And if I were him and saw all my teammates get big pay-rises and I didn't because the club thought I might leave, then I'd probably feel a bit put out.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 12:02:00 PM by Dave »

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #273 on: December 27, 2020, 11:59:33 AM »
I thought that if he signs a new contract at Villa (which is apparently being negotiated) it negates the buy back clause with Man City?

My thoughts would be that the contract containing the buy back clause would be separate from Duggies playing contract.

It all sounds very complicated. I wish someone would put in a bid just so's I can get a handle on where we actually stand.
its not complicated. Based on what we know, Man City have an option to buy the player. Anyone putting in a bid would have to get Man Citeh to forgoe their option as Man citys option takes precedent.

But what is their option? That's what I'd like to know, because I feel I'm six months away from one or two metaphoric sleepless nights about this. I need details. Is it in perpetuity? Is there a fixed fee, or is it scaled or performance linked in some way? Would he automatically fulfil work permit criteria at his new club? Why are we bothering with a new contract? And such forth.
Without reading the Contract impossible to tell. But the likelyhood is that the option would have a start and end date and the fee to buy him would have been pre-determined and written into the contract.

We know his contract expires 30th June 2023 so the option is likely to start a lot sooner than that.
For Villa to extend or provide a new contract, they would need citys agreement.

Offline Zouch Villa

• GM : 12.02.2024
« Reply #274 on: December 27, 2020, 12:16:13 PM »
A couple of points came to mind after reflection. 

I do feel that it some ways, Mings getting sent off actually worked in our favour.  He made too many unforced errors for my liking, and always looked way off the pace which Zaha was bound to exploit further.  Our enforced change of formation and tactics meant we were more solid at the back (Mings is prone to wonder) and then suited our fast counter attack.

Secondly, although Grealish is clearly top class, we are now looking far more than just a ‘one man’ team, with options all over the pitch. We have been over reliant on Jack to just do something in previous seasons, where as some players have gained in confidence plus we’ve added some real talent.  Teams are now unsure how to contain us.

Still a long way to go, but well done Deano for building a squad we can all believe in.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #275 on: December 27, 2020, 12:17:02 PM »
Jack's lung bursting runs reminded me a lot of a former captain Dennis Mortimer who made his debut for Villa on Boxing Day 1975 in 4-1 victory over the Hammers.

We know how well that ended

Offline oldtimernow

« Reply #276 on: December 27, 2020, 12:23:42 PM »
We couldn’t could we?

Do you want to bet against us?

Bravo, Villa.

That's true Christmas spirit

Offline oldtimernow

« Reply #277 on: December 27, 2020, 12:52:54 PM »
I'm convinced Pingu the penguin makes more sense that Garth Crooks.

And is a better singer than Garth Brooks.

Agree on the first bit and as you're clearly a fan you'll be delighted to know that Garth Brooks has sold more albums in the US than Elvis (and is second all-time only to The Beatles). :)  Anyway after today I doubt we'll have to worry about being in low places this season.

Emi has a ring of fire around him too

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #278 on: December 27, 2020, 01:09:35 PM »
Jack's lung bursting runs reminded me a lot of a former captain Dennis Mortimer who made his debut for Villa on Boxing Day 1975 in 4-1 victory over the Hammers.

There are some bits of Dennis in Jack but they are completely different types of players. I would still like one of the other midfielders to be like Dennis. 

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #279 on: December 27, 2020, 01:25:11 PM »
Ive not been this impressed with the villa in years!

I was firmly in the Dean out camp this time last year. Thinking he had 1 tactic and couldn't turn a game around. He's now learning and improving week by week. I'm very excited to see where we finish this season and if we splash the cash in barkley in Jan.

Great job to all the backroom team involved with villa too

I think he just wanted consistency of the system and getting it embedded so it was second nature to the players. That seems to have worked and then they are able to change around when needed.

Plus we've got a number of players who are performing really well too and most of them are cutting out the serious errors.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #280 on: December 27, 2020, 02:26:21 PM »

But what is their option? That's what I'd like to know, because I feel I'm six months away from one or two metaphoric sleepless nights about this. I need details. Is it in perpetuity? Is there a fixed fee, or is it scaled or performance linked in some way? Would he automatically fulfil work permit criteria at his new club? Why are we bothering with a new contract? And such forth.
Without reading the Contract impossible to tell. But the likelyhood is that the option would have a start and end date and the fee to buy him would have been pre-determined and written into the contract.

We know his contract expires 30th June 2023 so the option is likely to start a lot sooner than that.
For Villa to extend or provide a new contract, they would need citys agreement.
We need concrete answers now! Thumps fist on table. 

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #281 on: December 27, 2020, 02:29:03 PM »

There are some bits of Dennis in Jack but they are completely different types of players. I would still like one of the other midfielders to be like Dennis.

Douglas Luiz gait and running style reminds me of Morty back in the day

« Reply #282 on: December 27, 2020, 02:30:24 PM »
Ive not been this impressed with the villa in years!

I was firmly in the Dean out camp this time last year. Thinking he had 1 tactic and couldn't turn a game around. He's now learning and improving week by week. I'm very excited to see where we finish this season and if we splash the cash in barkley in Jan.

Great job to all the backroom team involved with villa too

I think he just wanted consistency of the system and getting it embedded so it was second nature to the players. That seems to have worked and then they are able to change around when needed.

Plus we've got a number of players who are performing really well too and most of them are cutting out the serious errors.

Could agree more mate, belief and consistency were the missing ingredients

« Reply #283 on: December 27, 2020, 02:43:37 PM »
Nearly 24 hours on and I’ve still got a smile on my face

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #284 on: December 27, 2020, 03:23:47 PM »

Douglas Luiz gait and running style reminds me of Morty back in the day
Reckon you've got something there, WDV.....knew he reminded me of someone familiar!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal