collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: We're gonna need a bigger bench  (Read 2949 times)

Offline exigo

We're gonna need a bigger bench
« on: December 17, 2020, 02:50:30 PM »
Premier League has voted to increase the number of subs from seven to nine, although only three can still be used. Unless there's a head injury.
Time for Louie Barry to join the party?

BBC linky

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: We're gonna need a bigger bench
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 03:16:08 PM »
The 5 subs allowed rule will eventually come in by stealth.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 03:17:49 PM »
Five subs rule is already in place for the FA Cup. They will get rid of all reference to Covid and just bring it in as a permanent change. How it is supposed to help players' development being sat on a bench all season, to make up the numbers, rather than loaned out or sold, fuck know.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 03:49:49 PM »
The 5 substitutes rule that Klopp seems so desperate for and yet used zero subs last night against Spurs?

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 03:58:12 PM »
The 5 substitutes rule that Klopp seems so desperate for and yet used zero subs last night against Spurs?
But if they did bring it in , he can play second string with 5 ready to come on, This would inevitably favour the Clubs like Liverpool with deeper squads.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 04:03:16 PM »
I've argued in the past that the number of subs should be reduced back to 1 plus a goalkeeper as it would encourage players to join other clubs in order to get game time and as result make the league as whole more competitive and interesting for all concerned.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 04:21:22 PM »
I'm not sure why half the league agreed to this. It so clearly benefits the richest half dozen it seems barmy.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 05:14:51 PM »
I'm not sure why half the league agreed to this. It so clearly benefits the richest half dozen it seems barmy.
Agreed, it's madness.

As for 5 subs, Liverpool and City can change half their outfield players with world class replacements whilst the plebs have a bench full of kids and journeymen. 

If they're worried about player load they should rotate their fucking players.  Isn't pulling up the FFP drawbridge enough for these bastards?  How about they all get a two goal headstart too?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 05:21:30 PM »
Can we have a smaller bench please? We haven't got any available players!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 05:24:14 PM »
Signing for the bench will now be a valid transfer tactic.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 08:44:44 PM »
Premier League has voted to increase the number of subs from seven to nine, although only three can still be used. Unless there's a head injury.
Time for Louie Barry to join the party?

BBC linky

Would prefer to see Archer, personally. I just don't get this current obsession with Barry being 'the one'. One for the future definitely but is young and not yet ready.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 09:23:42 PM »
But if they did bring it in , he can play second string with 5 ready to come on, This would inevitably favour the Clubs like Liverpool with deeper squads.
I envisage top vs bottom games where you have two weakened sides starting and ten subs used because they've both got 'more important' games next.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 01:49:11 PM »
5 subs will eventually happen no doubt but it absolutely should not be allowed to happen during the season - I know integrity is not something the Premier League are overly familiar with but in this case it is blatantly obvious that the likes of Klopp are bleating about to gain a competitive advantage, absolutely nothing to do with player welfare at all.  Had they been a dozen points clear like last year he’d have been gurning into the cameras telling it ‘is what it is’ - they know that they have a bit of fight on to retain the title so gone full on whinging.

You never hear these hypocrites moan about the workload created by pointless rounds and rounds of group fixtures in Europe & the associated travel (particularly in a pandemic) they just want the rest of the domestic game to bend to their agendas....well I’m firmly behind likes of Dean or Wilder in telling them to do one. 

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2020, 03:25:16 PM »
What drives me mad about substitutions is the number of blatantly time wasting substitutions that are made in the last few minutes of games - and very often even the last few seconds of games.  I have seen games recently where a sub has come on and the referee has immediately blown the final whistle.  That practice should be outlawed and/or limited in some way.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 09:18:11 PM »
No subs in time added on there you go.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal