collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerard Houllier - the great imponderable  (Read 4775 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Gerard Houllier - the great imponderable
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2020, 03:48:02 PM »
Interesting post from a non Lpool fan who visited Mellwood during the time of RAFA. All the staff still spoke about Houlier how kind he was and knew the names of all the staff, door allways open and he had time for everbody at the Club. This was in stark contrast to FSW who was a miserable sod and pretty much displayed the opposite characteristics to that of Houlier.

Offline ez

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2020, 04:57:42 PM »
The run we went on at the end of the season was Gregory-esque as I remember, and at the time I would have been happy for Houlier to go upstairs and Gary Mac to keep the manager's job.

It wasn't that good. Before the amazing two wins v Arsenal and Liverpool we'd lost at WBA (who had 10 men) and had home draws with Stoke and Wigan.

Did Gary Mac actually go and manage anyone else after he left us? I can recall him losing to a non league team in the cup when he was Leeds manager so it never really took off like people expected.

I might be slightly wrong about this but I'd long thought we were more or less safe after Houllier's last game in charge when we beat West Ham in injury time. But looking at the fixtures McCallister took charge of we can't have been.

SHA went down on 39 points that year so you really did need 40 points to be sure of safety . We had 42 points going into the final two games so it was still possible if very unlikely.

Blimey. So we were only mathematically safe with 1 game left and yet we finished 9th.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2020, 08:55:57 PM »
The run we went on at the end of the season was Gregory-esque as I remember, and at the time I would have been happy for Houlier to go upstairs and Gary Mac to keep the manager's job.

It wasn't that good. Before the amazing two wins v Arsenal and Liverpool we'd lost at WBA (who had 10 men) and had home draws with Stoke and Wigan.

Did Gary Mac actually go and manage anyone else after he left us? I can recall him losing to a non league team in the cup when he was Leeds manager so it never really took off like people expected.

I might be slightly wrong about this but I'd long thought we were more or less safe after Houllier's last game in charge when we beat West Ham in injury time. But looking at the fixtures McCallister took charge of we can't have been.

SHA went down on 39 points that year so you really did need 40 points to be sure of safety . We had 42 points going into the final two games so it was still possible if very unlikely.

Blimey. So we were only mathematically safe with 1 game left and yet we finished 9th.

Yeah, it was a crazy finish really. After that Arsenal game it kind of felt like, "what were we worried about?".

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2020, 07:23:17 PM »
FFS!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2020, 10:17:37 PM »

SHA lost their last three hilariously so they still had a pretty good chance of finishing above us going into the last few games as given the way the season had gone most would've expected Arsenal and Liverpool to soundly beat us as happened in the first half of the season but Bent had some fun at the Emirates and defence was back to 09/10 brick wall in both games.

Wigan finished 16th on 42 points so that could've easily been us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal