collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: West Ham vs Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 16070 times)

Offline dave17

Re: West Ham vs Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2020, 11:24:54 PM »
Carragher just pointing out Watkins was fouled before the disallowed goal - he should have gone down if Ogbonna had both arms around his neck
That’s what I couldn’t understand, his arm was there because he was being dragged around. That’s a more obvious error than his arm being two inches offside

Offline Villatillidie1982

« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2020, 11:25:14 PM »
His thumb was offside but why should that matter when you can't score with your thumb and it can't "interfere with play"? The Watkins penalty appeal looked like a dive to me. Henri Lansbury's "goal" against Palace countered the Sheffield United "goal".

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2020, 11:31:01 PM »
If commentator was correct that he had missed three of his last five penalties before this one why was he taking it?
Why do we keep the bringing likes of el Ghazi on when is Ramsey is on the bench, and Hourihane is useless.
Surely we would be better trying a couple of the younger players than the very predictable no hopers.

Offline MalcolmP

« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2020, 11:32:08 PM »
Dean has to make a decision with the defence and shake things up because we're shipping goals like last season. i'd like to see someone dropped if he's got the bottle to do it. Defence cost us the game not VAR, or watkins miss. midfield poor. Grealish doing his party tricks and trying to beat half their team again. last season deja vu indeed.  I wouldn't mind so much but west ham were crap, really poor imo. Them being 5th is worthy of an episode of Arthur C Clarke's mysterious world (one for the kids etc..). Utter arse overall.

Two really soft goals, but have to disagree it’s anything like last season. We absolutely dominated that game, we never dominated any games like that last season that I can remember. A couple of sitters and a penalty missed, so architects of our downfall to an extent, but VAR did deny us a draw that was more than deserved.
On VAR in general, the absolute worst element of it, as Watkins scored, I celebrated, my 10 year old sat there and said ‘naw dad VAR will rule it out’. That’s before the replay. Totally taking the joy out of football for kids, that’s the worst bit.

smart kid. to be honest, the commentators were calling it. If they disallow stuff like the bamford goal, then Watkins was deffo offside by those standards.
Bamford didn't have an àrm round his neck

Offline Stinkin_Thinkin

« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2020, 11:32:21 PM »
The starting eleven had a look of last seasons strugglers about it and after 15mins I thought I was correct however we started to create from then on.
The reassuring thing is Villa are making loads of chances. At some point Trez, watkins etc will start to score and won't stop. Like Calvert LEwin used to miss at least 3 sitters a game last season and now he's clinical. Just hopefully we wont have to wait 40 games till we see it.
The defence is something that needs to be sorted out. I don't think Mings likes to go for headers.
Barkley is a massive miss.
Out of the lost games Leeds (2nd half only) is the only one we've not deserved anything.
Trez Traore and Gazi all seem to be typical archetype inconsistant wingers, Trez should keep the shirt because of higher work rate but the more the chances go begging the more Smith will be tempted to give one of the others a chance.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2020, 11:35:43 PM »
I detest VAR too, just adds another incompetent official into the mix and undermines the one on the pitch. Fine for binary decisions like is the ball over the line but that's it. Neville comparing football to golf or NFL says it all, they are trying to turn football into one of them but it's a dynamic team game.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2020, 11:35:56 PM »
On the positive.

We have not yet being completely been rolled over and well beaten this season. Even Southampton

We have been on the whole this season played very well at times.

And lost 4 points to shit VAR.

I have been probably for years the most sceptical fan on here for years. - but I can see the future is ours. 

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2020, 11:37:09 PM »
Imagine being at Goodison in November 2008 and VAR being a thing. I wouldn't have a dent in my shin is about the only consolation.

Fuck VAR.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2020, 11:41:56 PM »
It’s another one of our bad streaks under Dean though.  Four out of five defeats against teams we need to compete with.  Friday starting to look pretty important.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2020, 11:44:11 PM »
On the positive.

We have not yet being completely been rolled over and well beaten this season. Even Southampton

We have been on the whole this season played very well at times.

And lost 4 points to shit VAR.

I am have been probably for years the most sceptical fan on here for years. - but I can see the future is ours.

Leeds hammered us second half. That was rotten. Agreed on the rest. We have had breaks go our way this season too. Soft VAR call for Sheff Utd in the opening game against us. Couple of deflections helping us put away Liverpool. We are creating loads of chances to score which is a big positive, Watkins and Trez have missed numerous sitters. We have arguably the best player in our division in the team. Vastly improved goalkeeper. Much better at RCB with Konsa. Lots of reasons to remain positive.

McGinn's form still too patchy I think. Woeful effort with his right foot tonight. Mings patchy at best too. Bit more competition for their places would be good.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2020, 11:45:43 PM »
It’s another one of our bad streaks under Dean though.  Four out of five defeats against teams we need to compete with.  Friday starting to look pretty important.
Play well and lose soon becomes play bad and lose.
We go from optimistic to pessimistic.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2020, 11:48:56 PM »

Yes it is but generally we match up well against Newcastle and they were arguably the worst visiting team last season.

If reports are true and they can barely train and have lost half their team to covid there is simply no excuse for winning that one so I'd be far more negative if we can't get a win from that than tonight which overall had plenty of good stuff.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2020, 11:53:00 PM »
Not wishing to denigrate our goalkeeper, as I think he's looked like the best we've had in a while, but of the last 11 opposition efforts on target, he's had to pick 8 of them out of the net.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2020, 11:56:51 PM »

We did play well tonight but didn’t in the previous 3 defeats. The Liverpool and Arsenal performances are masking a really poor run of form

Online luke95

« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2020, 11:59:50 PM »
I also think that commentators might be influencing the fuckers watching the monitors too, oooh, that's offside, oooh, he scraped an eyelash so must be a penalty!  Slowing things down always makes it look worse than it is.  It's a shit system and if it's too close to call, don't bother with it.
I wondered this too regarding the commentary  because if they are it's only natural it's going to influence them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal