collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: When I was ten  (Read 1779 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
When I was ten
« on: November 23, 2020, 04:25:02 PM »

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
Re: When I was ten
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 09:11:52 PM »
Brilliant detail....and nice to hear a mention of COUSIN Frank, carrying not only his dad's name forward but also his never say die attitude.
Thank you John.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 09:19:06 PM »
Thanks John.

Offline tommy smart

• GM : 22.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 09:30:12 PM »
Another excellent read.Thanks

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 10:13:37 PM »
Great article, as usual.

The club deciding not to print the league tables must surely have given inspiration to Matt Hancock. Where else could he have conjured up the idea of ceasing to publish the number of people tested - as opposed to tests - all those months ago?

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 11:03:33 AM »
A great read.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 01:09:49 PM »
As a slight aside, it's hard to believe that as a ten-year-old I was allowed to travel from Sheldon to Villa Park on a two-bus journey unaccompanied. 

I got the bus to the Yew Tree, a penny child's please, the the number eleven, a threepenny child's please.  The excitement felt as the eleven crested the hill of Reservoir Road looking down onto Stockland Green and getting that first glimpse of the floodlights.

A shilling in, IIRC, no programme as I couldn't afford one and the full interest wasn't there anyway that came later.  The sheer joy on the return journey if we'd won and a slight upset if we hadn't, the ruination of a weekend also came later.  The whole experience cost one and eight 1/8d! Under 10p in today's loot.

I will be seventy-two this coming Saturday and those memories are as fresh in my mind now as if they were last week, so much so that I'm on the verge of welling up.  Now if I could only remember where I put the bird feeder.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 07:14:19 AM »
As a slight aside, it's hard to believe that as a ten-year-old I was allowed to travel from Sheldon to Villa Park on a two-bus journey unaccompanied. 

I got the bus to the Yew Tree, a penny child's please, the the number eleven, a threepenny child's please.  The excitement felt as the eleven crested the hill of Reservoir Road looking down onto Stockland Green and getting that first glimpse of the floodlights.

A shilling in, IIRC, no programme as I couldn't afford one and the full interest wasn't there anyway that came later.  The sheer joy on the return journey if we'd won and a slight upset if we hadn't, the ruination of a weekend also came later.  The whole experience cost one and eight 1/8d! Under 10p in today's loot.

I will be seventy-two this coming Saturday and those memories are as fresh in my mind now as if they were last week, so much so that I'm on the verge of welling up.  Now if I could only remember where I put the bird feeder.

That's a brilliant post Dave, may a wish you a very happy birthday for this coming weekend.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 07:48:20 AM »
Great post Dave- must be happy memories mostly back then. Happy Birthday too for Saturday! I was a bit older than 10 (15) when I was allowed to go by myself. 5 quid return on the Lloyds bus from Nuneaton and I think it was around 7 quid in the Holte for a kid late 80’s. Couple of quid for a programme and 1.50 for a Jumbo (they say they’re nice!) on Trinity Rd. About 15 quid all in. Just about covered by my co-op shelf stacking wages and paper round money! Heady days! Best memories for me if that one season in Div 2. The Platt header made it all worth it against Bradford. Think we had blues in the league cup that season and maybe Simod ? Cup too. Fkn scary night game on your own as a young pup.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 09:23:54 AM »
Thanks gents.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 09:42:10 AM »
Seventy two.  Happy Birthday.  Well played young Shelley.  My Auntie Doris probably shouted at you for kicking a ball about in Oakwood Rd.  She had the Green gob on her.  Shouted at everybody about everything all the time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal