collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 05:36:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:33:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 05:31:47 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by nick harper
[Today at 05:31:35 PM]

Re: The NFL Thread (with added College Football) by Rotterdam
[Today at 05:30:03 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Mellin
[Today at 05:29:21 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Rotterdam
[Today at 05:28:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by django
[Today at 05:26:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 174690 times)

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #1245 on: February 01, 2021, 12:51:08 PM »
I don’t understand why we haven’t or don’t appear to be in the market for another striker. Davis clearly doesn’t cut it in the PL, so if Ollie gets injured then we’re pretty screwed for forward options.
Nor me.  I can't see Wesley won't play any major part this season and we'll regret it massivly if Watkins picks up an injury.  It seems a crazy risk given the opportunity we have this season.

I guess FFP is still an issue.

I think Villa will get a loan in today. And that being a forward  attacking player
Going on what trusted source Fabrizio Romano said other day we could well do some business

"Yes I think some opportunities could arrive in the coming days, when I mention an opportunity I mean like loan deals with a buy option, this opportunity they will go for, just because they spent money on Sanson, so it won’t be easy to go for another top deal this January, just because as we mentioned in this transfer window it is really complicated,”

I’d be very, very surprised if we do (not unhappy either way), we certainly aren’t in a place where we need to do Baston style panic loans....if a striker that fits profile they want becomes available maybe but even then I’d expect Keinan would then be allowed to go get games somewhere as a result.

Ideal would be Josh King / Keinan loan swap for rest of season :-)

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1246 on: February 01, 2021, 01:55:57 PM »
I don’t understand why we haven’t or don’t appear to be in the market for another striker. Davis clearly doesn’t cut it in the PL, so if Ollie gets injured then we’re pretty screwed for forward options.
Nor me.  I can't see Wesley won't play any major part this season and we'll regret it massivly if Watkins picks up an injury.  It seems a crazy risk given the opportunity we have this season.

I guess FFP is still an issue.

I suspect it’s more likely that the player(s) we want aren’t available. Centre mid wasn’t an essential position, but an opportunity presented itself and we spent some money. I doubt that would have happened had FFP been a problem.

Either that or Hourihane and Lansbury going out on loan with the probability of them both leaving in the summer.

The forward area is a bit of as concern, especially as there doesn't seem to be any news on Wesley's return.  They obviously rate and have faith in Davis, but relying on him or Traore filling in there in the absence of Watkins doesn't fill me with confidence.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #1247 on: February 01, 2021, 02:12:38 PM »
I thought Lansbury had left on a free transfer to sign for Bristol CIty

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1248 on: February 01, 2021, 02:15:04 PM »
Yep Lansbury is gone, contract would've been up in the summer and it was ended early so he could leave.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #1249 on: February 01, 2021, 02:43:25 PM »
Is Louie Barry going to be in the 1st team squad next season? He's 18 in June, so surely can't be far off, I can't see him being loaned out.

I question what level of striker we will attract at the moment. Watkins is first choice every time for Dean, so whoever it might be is just a back up.

Offline frank black

« Reply #1250 on: February 01, 2021, 02:51:18 PM »
Is Louie Barry going to be in the 1st team squad next season? He's 18 in June, so surely can't be far off, I can't see him being loaned out.

I question what level of striker we will attract at the moment. Watkins is first choice every time for Dean, so whoever it might be is just a back up.

The Jamie Vardy conundrum. My mates a Leista fan and I always ask him why they’ve never successfully (IMO) got a ready made replacement in. He always says, it’s because they play with one up front and who would join knowing they are second choice. Personally that’s a bollocks excuse because good players back themselves.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1251 on: February 01, 2021, 02:52:32 PM »
SSN are so busy today that they're talking about Veganism.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1252 on: February 01, 2021, 02:55:45 PM »
{alt}
Yep Lansbury is gone, contract would've been up in the summer and it was ended early so he could leave.

Ah right.  That would have definitely freed.up some funds then.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1253 on: February 01, 2021, 02:57:52 PM »

The Jamie Vardy conundrum. My mates a Leista fan and I always ask him why they’ve never successfully (IMO) got a ready made replacement in. He always says, it’s because they play with one up front and who would join knowing they are second choice. Personally that’s a bollocks excuse because good players back themselves.

Suppose your mate does have a point though.  Same situation at Spurs with Kane. 

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1254 on: February 01, 2021, 03:16:44 PM »
I like quiet transfer deadline days

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1255 on: February 01, 2021, 03:26:11 PM »
Its not Veganism.  It's  Vega-Nism. He leaves defenders rooted to the spot and shoots on sight.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1256 on: February 01, 2021, 03:28:55 PM »
Benteke is staying at Palace.  Christian you’re still a hero. 

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1257 on: February 01, 2021, 03:30:12 PM »

I felt we were short of midfield options when the Leroy Fer deal (whatever happened to him BTW) died a death at the end of the Jan transfer window in 2019.

Felt we were short of forward options by the close of the summer window in 2019 and Jan 2020.

Yet we've had enough (sometimes just about) on each occasion.

Terry mentioned when we signed Traore that he can play out wide and through the middle. So that looks like our contingency should something happen to Ollie.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1258 on: February 01, 2021, 03:39:14 PM »

I felt we were short of midfield options when the Leroy Fer deal (whatever happened to him BTW) died a death at the end of the Jan transfer window in 2019.

Felt we were short of forward options by the close of the summer window in 2019 and Jan 2020.

Yet we've had enough (sometimes just about) on each occasion.

Terry mentioned when we signed Traore that he can play out wide and through the middle. So that looks like our contingency should something happen to Ollie.

On paper maybe.  Can you honestly see him putting in the work rate Ollie does for a full 90 minutes?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1259 on: February 01, 2021, 03:40:56 PM »
Benteke is staying at Palace.  Christian you’re still a hero. 

A real human being and a real hero.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal