collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 174564 times)

Offline Londonvilla

Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #1185 on: January 29, 2021, 08:00:06 PM »
Confirmed: Aston Villa sanction transfer

Latest Aston Villa news from BirminghamLive brings news of Indiana Vassilev's move to Cheltenham Town on loan after his spell at Burton Albion was ended on Thursday

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-confirmed-sanctioned-19731743

Has a contract until June 2022 the next pre-season will be big for him

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #1186 on: January 29, 2021, 08:02:30 PM »
Frederic Guilbert set to leave Aston Villa after loan move 'agreed'

The French defender has been linked with several clubs in the transfer window with Cardiff having been among those keen to land the defender who is now set for Strasbourg

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/frederic-guilbert-set-leave-aston-19732336

Why is this happening, someone please explain
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 08:04:17 PM by Londonvilla »

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1187 on: January 29, 2021, 08:09:49 PM »

The French defender has been linked with several clubs in the transfer window with Cardiff having been among those keen to land the defender who is now set for Strasbourg

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/frederic-guilbert-set-leave-aston-19732336

Because he probably wants to play football and Elmohamady is preferred as back-up to Cash, who is going to play whenever he's fit?

I mean, if Cash weren't here and pretty good then I'd start Guilbert over Elmo. But as Cash is, and is - Elmo sitting on the bench or Guilbert sitting on the bench isn't really much of an issue is it?

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #1188 on: January 29, 2021, 08:12:12 PM »
Of the two options for the bench Elmo is the better because of his delivery into the box.

Online Dave

« Reply #1189 on: January 29, 2021, 08:21:33 PM »
Of the two options for the bench Elmo is the better because of his delivery into the box.

That, and his experience. In the context of right-back substitutions, If you're trying to close a game out, you'd stick Elmo or Trezeguet in, in front of Cash. If you're chasing the game, you'd stick Elmo in to replace Cash to swing a few crosses in.

Guilbert's decent and seems like a good bloke, but this broadly makes sense.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1190 on: January 29, 2021, 08:26:23 PM »
Rightly or wrongly, the term is still applied to a player who's got through a lot of clubs.

Sure. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't be told what the word they are using actually means.

Edit - I only know it because I pompously used it incorrectly on here about a decade ago and (I think) gregnash pulled me up on it. The world gets better by learning things...

#facepalm

Online Dave

« Reply #1191 on: January 29, 2021, 08:33:23 PM »
Rightly or wrongly, the term is still applied to a player who's got through a lot of clubs.

Sure. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't be told what the word they are using actually means.

Edit - I only know it because I pompously used it incorrectly on here about a decade ago and (I think) gregnash pulled me up on it. The world gets better by learning things...

#facepalm

Larf!

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1192 on: January 29, 2021, 09:17:42 PM »

He was a suso signing not a Dean Smith signing .
Part of the old regime. Good luck to him on his loan

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #1193 on: January 29, 2021, 09:21:49 PM »
The decision to not recruit a forward( if that's the case ) could be costly if Ollie gets injured -

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1194 on: January 29, 2021, 09:24:22 PM »

#facepalm

Larf!

heh

Japes aside, I hope Greg is enjoying watching us play these days. I saw another old H&V name, Karl Bridges post something Villa-related on Twitter the other day.

And it would be nice if Brian had a word and got Damon back "on board" (litrilly).

Offline john2710

« Reply #1195 on: January 29, 2021, 09:27:23 PM »
Clearing the decks of players not at the level we’re aiming for. Will be followed up with a further clear out in the summer.

We’ll only bring in players the add quality or potential to the squad. For the first time in 5 or 6 years we’re recruiting from a position of strength & stability rather than desperation.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #1196 on: January 29, 2021, 09:35:39 PM »
Very good point John......I am just a little concerned that our impressive start to the season can't be maintained and we slide a little .....mind you that may not be a bad thing as qualification for Europe might be too early for this squad ...consolidation in the top ten needs to be the priority for a while

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1197 on: January 29, 2021, 10:22:24 PM »

Love Elmo but he isn't top division standard now nor has he ever been. Clearly Smith didn't rate Guilbert which to be honest I don't really understand. Defensively I don't think Cash is all that better than him though Cash is certainly better with the ball. Elmo is out of contract in the summer so it's a surprising one all round.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1198 on: January 29, 2021, 11:25:27 PM »
Guilbert hasn't played in the league this season, he'll go on loan, Elmo will leave on the summer and he'll be back for next season.

As for strikers, Davis, Traore, Wesley on a few weeks suggests we have options. And given the focus of our play is not to get the ball to a centre forward, I reckon there is no hurry.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1199 on: January 30, 2021, 07:43:50 AM »
Guilbert hasn't played in the league this season, he'll go on loan, Elmo will leave on the summer and he'll be back for next season.

As for strikers, Davis, Traore, Wesley on a few weeks suggests we have options. And given the focus of our play is not to get the ball to a centre forward, I reckon there is no hurry.

I'm a bit like this. If we can get in a triffic number 9, then great. If not, meh, we'll adapt if we have to. Centre-forwards are soooo last century.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal