collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:25:34 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 02:21:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:20:52 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 172332 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #945 on: January 19, 2021, 10:14:04 PM »
Yes, forgot about him. Actually have forgotten about him full stop since he left Arsenal.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #946 on: January 19, 2021, 10:16:40 PM »
Yes, forgot about him. Actually have forgotten about him full stop since he left Arsenal.

Doing okayish for Parma. Scored a blinding goal for them last season.

That's all I got.

Offline villabear

« Reply #947 on: January 19, 2021, 10:34:40 PM »
If it’s true about Sanson I hope he keeps up the tradition of French midfielders arriving at the training ground to sign adorned in hideous knitwear a la Berson and Makoun.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #948 on: January 19, 2021, 10:57:03 PM »
If it’s true about Sanson I hope he keeps up the tradition of French midfielders arriving at the training ground to sign adorned in hideous knitwear a la Berson and Makoun.

Is this what you have in mind? http://threebackpockets.com/portfolio/sansoncampagnolo-longsleeve-vintage-cycling-jersey/

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #949 on: January 19, 2021, 11:25:22 PM »
France hasn't exactly been a hotbed of Villa legends for us over the years, let's hope this chap puts that right.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #950 on: January 19, 2021, 11:40:04 PM »
France hasn't exactly been a hotbed of Villa legends for us over the years, let's hope this chap puts that right.

Ginola was the most disappointing. World class at Newcastle and Spurs, flabby and disinterested for us.

Don't think Berson had a fair run at. Veretout sulked and didn't fancy the second division, Gana was OK and went on to be better, amarvi was average, and Ayew did OK. Not a great record, but look at how many great French players other teams have found. It's about time we found a Vieira, Pires. Ginola or Cantona!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 11:42:10 PM by ASHTONVILLA »

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #951 on: January 20, 2021, 12:18:29 AM »
Not a great record, but look at how many great French players other teams have found. It's about time we found a Vieira, Pires. Ginola or Cantona!

I'm not greedy, an Henry would do for me.

Online FatSam

« Reply #952 on: January 20, 2021, 01:15:44 AM »
Ginola was the most disappointing. World class at Newcastle and Spurs, flabby and disinterested for us.

Don't think Berson had a fair run at. Veretout sulked and didn't fancy the second division, Gana was OK and went on to be better, amarvi was average, and Ayew did OK. Not a great record, but look at how many great French players other teams have found. It's about time we found a Vieira, Pires. Ginola or Cantona!

Ginola was already 33 when he arrived, so was always going to be past his best. I was frustrated with the transfer at the time, as we were taking a player off Spurs' hands, after they and Newcastle had already got the best out of him.

Gana and Ayew aren't French, but were obviously bought from the French market. I agree that we haven't had much luck with this generally. Paddy Riley was clearly onto something with Gana, Amavi, Veretout and to a certain extent Ayew. We were also linked with some good players when Houllier was in charge - Adil Rami amongst others from memory. Steve Mandanda had an unsuccessful trial under O'Neill before he joined Marseille. It would be good to have some of the success that clubs like Newcastle and Leicester have had and pick-up a Sissoko or Kante.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 01:22:15 AM by FatSam »

Offline villabear

« Reply #953 on: January 20, 2021, 07:07:54 AM »

Is this what you have in mind? http://threebackpockets.com/portfolio/sansoncampagnolo-longsleeve-vintage-cycling-jersey/

I was more remembering this

Offline manic-road

« Reply #954 on: January 20, 2021, 07:29:09 AM »

Can't recall Ginola being flabby to be honest.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #955 on: January 20, 2021, 08:06:42 AM »
Gregory accused him of being unfit/tubby. Ginola promptly responded by scoring a late equaliser in a 2-2 at home to Man City and whipping off his shirt to angrily flex his pecs to the Holte End.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #956 on: January 20, 2021, 08:16:19 AM »
It would be good to have some of the success that clubs like Newcastle and Leicester have had and pick-up a Sissoko or Kante.

It was supposedly us or Newcastle for Sissokho but we would pay the wages he was looking for.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #957 on: January 20, 2021, 08:57:34 AM »

We wasn't a media favourite like Newcastle or Spurs were back then so Ginola probably saw us as a bit of a meh move but no doubt the money was good. In fact we've never been a media favourite or sexy club have we? Nowadays Leeds are the media darlings. For some inexplicable reason commentators can't wait to cream themselves over them because they don't stop running about a lot. I think that media perception of us is changing now thanks to to our recent exploits and the fact that love him or hate him you can't ignore Jack Grealish.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #958 on: January 20, 2021, 10:26:53 AM »
I quite enjoyed watching Ginola for us past his best and not massively effective but some of his touches were sublime. As for him "carrying a bit of timber" that was a nonsensical dig by Gregory who seemed miffed that Ginola had been signed by Doug rather than him, and disproved when Ginola took his shirt off after scoring.  It seems to have become accepted truth for some though.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #959 on: January 20, 2021, 10:41:38 AM »
If there's any truth in the paper talk about us having an interest in Bournemouth's David Brooks, letting Hourihane go to Swansea could be a smart move. If Bournemouth fail to get promoted this season, Brooks may be available for a fair price.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal