collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Gareth
[Today at 08:33:33 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 08:32:13 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 08:31:53 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 172369 times)

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #915 on: January 19, 2021, 07:36:44 AM »
Rumours of Drinkwater coming back on a perm.
Great news and Smith has also agreed to give McCormack anther run in the first team squad.

I'm not sure I saw him run the first time to be honest.

If ever there was a case for the grass isn’t always greener, then Danny is the bright shining example.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #916 on: January 19, 2021, 08:54:59 AM »
Can't help but have a small chuckle that Dan Crowley (much too good for the Villa) has gone from  being not good enough for Small Heath to soon being not good enough for Hull City, following his loan.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 12:17:58 PM by Big Ming »

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #917 on: January 19, 2021, 09:21:32 AM »
Saka and Smith Rowe kept William Pepe out of the team.
I want Villa to eventually have that opportunity afforded to some of our young and up and coming players.
The fullbacks in the summer  has to be a position we could look to promote from within as back up to Cash and Targett.
Though I'm ultimately all for having a strong squad as possible I think Villa will look to develop academy players into first team villa players over coming seasons so be interesting to see which moves are made in the transfer windows for every player signed means less opportunity for a young player.

On outgoings the loan system should be used wisely and maybe have some decent contacts with Walsall locally but also say a few other league clubs.
Dominic Revan who I found most excellent vs Liverpool in Cup and captained team , has been afforded bench and squad selection in past I was intrigued to see him go out on loan to a non league team Weymouth

I hoping especially at this time can get our academy players who do go on loan into league football
With due respect to Weymouth would want at least league 2 high end for Revan and if clubs struggling to buy players in efl leagues hoped for a higher or more established football club to aid his development
Personally, I'm not too fussed if a player goes on loan to a non-league side initially.  Seems to have done Tyrone Mings and Ollie Watkins no harm at all to have some experience from even further down the pyramid.  I'd suspect, at that age, playing regular, competitive, senior football is really the key to them developing.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #918 on: January 19, 2021, 09:33:23 AM »
The potential Sanson signing looks a very good opportunist deal again, a bit like Cash.  Quality player available in a position we don't necessarily need at the moment, but the club are happy to invest to improve the overall quality of the squad as and when available, rather than out of desperation.  I like this new Villa.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #919 on: January 19, 2021, 10:17:58 AM »
Sanson looks like a right footed McGinn. I think Ramsey is now the alternative to McGinn and Sanson will be the alternative to Luiz. If City do come back for Luiz in the summer then Sanson will have had time to acclimatize and we can then find someone to be an alternative to him.

They obviously appreciate they need a bit more depth, especially if we have ambitions of being in Europe next season. And now is a good time to be adding to the squad. We'll be playing twice a week most weeks now, we will be an attractive prospect now to players and Covid has left many clubs in a weakened position.

Offline Eckybloke

• GM : 06.06.2019
« Reply #920 on: January 19, 2021, 10:20:58 AM »
Different league and different standards but up here, Louis Appere went from Dundee Utd youths to a local junior team for a chunk of a season and it did him the world of good.

So maybe the level is ideal because it might be more physical for Revan him and that’s what has been earmarked for development.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #921 on: January 19, 2021, 11:28:10 AM »
Saka and Smith Rowe kept William Pepe out of the team.
I want Villa to eventually have that opportunity afforded to some of our young and up and coming players.
The fullbacks in the summer  has to be a position we could look to promote from within as back up to Cash and Targett.

Saka and Smith-Rowe got in because Willian is in semi-retirement and Pepe is fucking shit (and probably the worst signing in history). We're not in the same position.

On full backs I suspect that's exactly what's happening at right-back, by all accounts Kesler-Hayden is seen as a top prospect. On the left we don't really have many options, Callum Rowe did well against Liverpool so maybe he's worth a look but Seb Revan has been playing at left back ahead of him so maybe even though he looked decent the club don't see much in him.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #922 on: January 19, 2021, 11:35:24 AM »
Connor has gone, so would expect an incoming today too.

Offline billhicks

« Reply #923 on: January 19, 2021, 12:12:36 PM »
Rhys Williams from Liverpool spent last season at Kiddy in the same league didn't do him any harm

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #924 on: January 19, 2021, 12:16:54 PM »
Thinking that Villa are expecting Citeh to trigger the buy-back for Douglas Luis and the move for Sanson is to get ahead of the game.

He is primarily a ball winner.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #925 on: January 19, 2021, 12:44:48 PM »
It would be a good signing if we get Sanson just need Delilah now.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 01:05:42 PM by darren woolley »

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #926 on: January 19, 2021, 01:07:03 PM »
Thinking that Villa are expecting Citeh to trigger the buy-back for Douglas Luis and the move for Sanson is to get ahead of the game.

Is this the case? Villa Analytics seemed to suggest he compares more to John McGinn as a good ball carrying, box to box midfielder who can also play a bit further forward. Either way he sounds like a decent signing and will add much needed depth in there.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #927 on: January 19, 2021, 01:16:16 PM »

Is this the case? Villa Analytics seemed to suggest he compares more to John McGinn as a good ball carrying, box to box midfielder who can also play a bit further forward. Either way he sounds like a decent signing and will add much needed depth in there.
To repeat myself.
A total all round midfielder. Box to box.  Offers a competition to several positions and can play Douglas Luiz role alongside deep lying or further up. And can get up and down the pitch no problem.

Certainly an energetic upgrade to Hourihane . Will offer a great option to press in final third
A technical upgrade to Nakamba.
Direct running with the ball puts him in a McGinn mode with touch more flair and grace that the bustling SJM but will carry the ball better than Nakamba and Hourihane and plays off both feet.

As say he could play alongside and deep like Douglas Luiz but like Dougie he can be played higher up and thus be a goal threat a ball-winner and can offer creativity

Would be a great signing providing he settles certainly a quality addition to the midfield engine room
Offers plenty.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #928 on: January 19, 2021, 01:58:09 PM »

It feels like an excellent additon to the squad, but yes getting someone who can back Doug up if City do the inevitable seems very sensible.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #929 on: January 19, 2021, 02:30:32 PM »
The 'French Football expert' on Sky makes Sanson sound more like McGinn than Luiz.

"He’s definitely an exciting player on his day, action-packed, and he’s better further up the pitch than defensively. He’s more end-to-end, and has a good shot from range on him. Similar to John McGinn, I would say."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal