collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 172304 times)

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #780 on: January 14, 2021, 10:29:35 AM »
https://www.footballinsider247.com/bristol-city-middlesbrough-cardiff-city-race-to-sign-aston-villa-ace/

Apparently Freddie rejected a loan move to Besiktas, but instead might go to Bristol City, Middlesbrough, or Cardiff for the rest of the season. 

They're reporting that it's so that he can come back as 2nd choice right back for next season.  I'm not sure - maybe, but in that case why is he behind Elmo in the pecking order now?

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #781 on: January 14, 2021, 11:18:41 AM »
Because elmo is here where as he'll be either a coach or moved on in summer as out of contract. Or Bruce will sign him perhaps!
For me I can't do no wrong for elmo and I don't see Guilbert as part of Smith plans as he's part of old regime signed by Suso.
Villa tried to move him on in summer but a deal collapsed.  He was told he was 3rd choice.
Good luck to him but he clearly in no plans and don't see him doing an Alan Hutton
No, that's what I'm saying.  If he's already behind Elmo, I can't imagine he's got much of a future at the club.  It's not as if he's a 20/21 year old who's likely to become drastically better as a result of a 6 month loan in the Championship.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #782 on: January 14, 2021, 11:45:47 AM »
I would love it if we kept Guilbert.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #783 on: January 14, 2021, 11:49:27 AM »
Elmo is getting on and out of contract in the summer though, so in theory he would just have Cash to dislodge/provide competition for. We're at the stage of our progression where the first XI are quality and pretty much set in stone.

Beyond that are players who are half-decent but will feel they deserve or need more game time. If we were in the Europa League/one of the domestic cups and Dean was more of a rotater, there'd probably be enough games to keep a squad happy and on their toes. But we're not and he sees a core of 15 or 16 only that should be in or around the team.

Offline WassallVillain

« Reply #784 on: January 14, 2021, 11:52:02 AM »
I would love it if we kept Guilbert.

He should be IMO

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #785 on: January 14, 2021, 12:56:03 PM »
I wouldn't be keeping any back up players that we can shift. We're in a position where we have a very strong 11 and not much beyond that. The next stage of development is slowly signing players who can put genuine pressure on our first teamers. Guilbert is a fine back up for a midtable side but to be top 8 or beyond we need a genuine alternative to Cash.

Upgrades to the likes of Engels, Taylor, Nakamba, Conor and Davis that will put pressure on the first teamers. Particularly if we're in Europe.

Particularly at fullback, in our system the fullbacks are asked to support high up in attacks and tuck narrow when we're defending. We need 2 for each of those spots IMO. The options Spurs and Leicester have at fullback are what we should strive for.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #786 on: January 14, 2021, 01:48:13 PM »
I wouldn't be keeping any back up players that we can shift. We're in a position where we have a very strong 11 and not much beyond that. The next stage of development is slowly signing players who can put genuine pressure on our first teamers. Guilbert is a fine back up for a midtable side but to be top 8 or beyond we need a genuine alternative to Cash.

Upgrades to the likes of Engels, Taylor, Nakamba, Conor and Davis that will put pressure on the first teamers. Particularly if we're in Europe.

Particularly at fullback, in our system the fullbacks are asked to support high up in attacks and tuck narrow when we're defending. We need 2 for each of those spots IMO. The options Spurs and Leicester have at fullback are what we should strive for.

Of the people you've named I'd keep Nakamba, he's done a good job when he's had to come in. I like Engels and Conor but I think both can be replaced fairly easily so if there's offers I'd let them leave to get the game time they want, Conor in particular is out of contract soon anyway (as far as I can tell) so thank him for everything he's done and wish him well. I'd do the same with Taylor but look for a replacement.

Right back is the bigger one, if the plan is to let Guilbert out on loan whilst Elmo is around and then review it in the summer I can sort of understand that if they see a future with us for Guilbert (which I hope they do, he had more good games for us than bad last season and seems to have a good attitude from what I can see). If they don't want Guilbert then there's no value in loaning him out. My opinion is that Smith really rates Kesler-Hayden and wants to get him involved before long and therefore doesn't see room for Guilbert in the squad. Keeping Elmo as cover this year, given he's nearing the end of his contract, makes sense in that case but it relies on K-H being ready to join the first team squad in the summer. If we're now wanting to loan Guilbert I'd suggest it's because they think it might take a little longer so we need cover for another 6-12months.

Davis is frustrating, I said a week or so back that he's the sort of striker you'd want in a front 2 with someone like Watkins next to him and I stand by that, he does a lot of things that I really like to see in a striker but even with my opinion that 20 a season strikers are a dying breed you need them to be a threat and to be looking at scoring 10-15 and I just don't know if he'll become that. I think he can, watching him reminds me of calvert-lewin a couple of years back where he did everything right until he got in the box and we can all see what happened there. The difference is Davis just isn't getting enough games to try to find that confidence. I'd keep him but loan him out to a championship side and see if he can get a run of 15-20games in the 2nd half of the season.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #787 on: January 14, 2021, 04:51:06 PM »
It seems we may be stepping our interest in the Reading kid Olise. Release clause is apparently £8m. Let the bidding war begin.

Offline Astnor

« Reply #788 on: January 14, 2021, 05:07:20 PM »

He seems to have something. Music as bad as ever.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #789 on: January 14, 2021, 05:13:45 PM »
He has lovely close control and it always looks better with a left peg. Some of things he does in tight spaces is very impressive.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #790 on: January 14, 2021, 05:21:15 PM »
He likes a trick that's for sure.  Never seems to be much end product though, but looks a decent prospect.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #791 on: January 14, 2021, 05:27:05 PM »
He likes a trick that's for sure.  Never seems to be much end product though, but looks a decent prospect.

He is 19 and playing with Reading. We don't need the finished article. He has a lot of natural ability. We would be the perfect environment to develop him.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #792 on: January 14, 2021, 05:29:09 PM »
If he was one of our youth players and out on loan doing as well as he is, we would be getting a bit excited.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #793 on: January 14, 2021, 05:37:54 PM »

He is 19 and playing with Reading. We don't need the finished article. He has a lot of natural ability. We would be the perfect environment to develop him.
I would imagine playing regularly in the Championship rather than our u23's with an occaisional sub appearance would be the perfect way for him to develop.  But even so, yes he looks a very good prospect and for the right price I'd be keen to see what he can do with us.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #794 on: January 14, 2021, 05:39:08 PM »

I would imagine playing regularly in the Championship rather than our u23's with an occaisional sub appearance would be the perfect way for him to develop.  But even so, yes he looks a very good prospect and for the right price I'd be keen to see what he can do with us.

£8m these days is buttons, I'd be all over that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal