collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 173803 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #375 on: December 24, 2020, 11:59:49 AM »
Has anyone ever been able to come up with a list of things (football related) that Wesley is good at? I can't think of one attribute of his that makes me say ''Yeah he's really good at that''. He's alright at some things and shite at a lot of others. Looks nowhere near a £20m+ player and unless we see a major improvement, which is possible, although unlikely, will be a dud.

Seemed really poor scouting for him, and when we went back to Samatta who we deemed not as good as Wesley the previous summer, made me think wtf is going on.

Being absolutely shit at almost everything (apparently) and still scoring 1 in 4 in a new league as a 22 year old is a pretty good attribute to have I'd say.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #376 on: December 24, 2020, 01:16:40 PM »
You would think we would give the guy a chance after seeing the improvement in Luiz, Konsa, Trez, Targett, El Ghazi etc. When Wes was last fit all the aforementioned looked poor and so did we as a side. They've improved, we've improved and he would be coming back into a different team now. It was a bad injury and he's going to need time.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #377 on: December 24, 2020, 01:18:44 PM »
You would think we would give the guy a chance after seeing the improvement in Luiz, Konsa, Trez, Targett, El Ghazi etc. When Wes was last fit all the aforementioned looked poor and so did we as a side. They've improved, we've improved and he would be coming back into a different team now. It was a bad injury and he's going to need time.

People are just giving their opinions.  It's the only the management who can decide to give him a chance this season when he's fit.  Like they didn't with Jota and Samatta.

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #378 on: December 24, 2020, 02:16:49 PM »
Watched the first half of Boca v Racing last night. Boca had a couple of Colombians that looked useful, Fabra who played left back who I’d heard of before and some bloke called Villa who played further forward.
I know Fabra has been there a while so not sure why he’s not moved as he’s an international.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #379 on: December 24, 2020, 02:49:23 PM »
I suppose with Wes at least you can say he managed a reasonable goal return despite his limitations, so maybe he'd do even better now our overall team is much better.  I can't say I fancy the idea of going back to him being our main striker though later in the season if anything happens to Ollie.
Isn't that the point? - he scored despite the limitations people seem to want to highlight. And he scored for a team that was finding its way in the top tier, and without having had experience at this level.
I'm intrigued to see how he fares now that we have a better quality first XI and greater confidence running through it. I hope he gets the chance, given the apparent severity of the injury.

As an aside, the Mee tackle - which happened right in front of where I was standing at Burnley - is all the evidence needed for some sort of citation system in football.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #380 on: December 24, 2020, 03:01:30 PM »
I suppose with Wes at least you can say he managed a reasonable goal return despite his limitations, so maybe he'd do even better now our overall team is much better.  I can't say I fancy the idea of going back to him being our main striker though later in the season if anything happens to Ollie.
Isn't that the point? - he scored despite the limitations people seem to want to highlight. And he scored for a team that was finding its way in the top tier, and without having had experience at this level.
I'm intrigued to see how he fares now that we have a better quality first XI and greater confidence running through it. I hope he gets the chance, given the apparent severity of the injury.

Goals are goals I guess, but two of them were against Norwich, after which he didn't score again for 12 games, and hardly had a shot worthy of the name in that time. He will get a chance again I suppose, but hard to see him fitting into this new and improved high tempo, end-to-end style of play.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #381 on: December 24, 2020, 03:14:27 PM »

Goals are goals I guess, but two of them were against Norwich, after which he didn't score again for 12 games, and hardly had a shot worthy of the name in that time. He will get a chance again I suppose, but hard to see him fitting into this new and improved high tempo, end-to-end style of play.

He’s Brazilian he will adapt

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #382 on: December 24, 2020, 03:37:01 PM »
"hard to see him fitting in... " that's why I'm intrigued. Some of his positional play and desire to move the ball first time may work well for us now. I always had the impression that the only player on his wavelength last season was Luiz: perhaps we'll see greater connection between him and the other players.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #383 on: December 24, 2020, 03:45:18 PM »

I completely disagree with the last bit, I think the way we're playing now will be much better for him, last time he was spending a lot of time around halfway waiting for support and then struggling to find space in the box because he was the only Villa player in there. Most of the improvement in our general play has been fixing those 2 issues (which are largely the same anyway) and getting more people moving around the main striker in good areas.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #384 on: December 24, 2020, 04:21:39 PM »
We've created more chances than any other side in the league. That will help Wes, as it ought to any striker.

Would love to see us thrash a deal out in the summer for Barkley, tie down Dougie now and pick up a bit of an all action number 8 and a forward to add cover.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #385 on: December 24, 2020, 05:02:38 PM »
We've created more chances than any other side in the league. That will help Wes, as it ought to any striker.

Would love to see us thrash a deal out in the summer for Barkley, tie down Dougie now and pick up a bit of an all action number 8 and a forward to add cover.

Add a quality young left back and that's most of the shopping list for January and the summer.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #386 on: December 24, 2020, 07:47:34 PM »

Yeah, for me the big 2 to get sorted out are Ross & Dougie. After that, I'd towards replacing Lansbury with someone who could provide a bit of competition to SJM, Dougie, and Marv.

Offline charleeco7

« Reply #387 on: December 24, 2020, 08:22:24 PM »
I think if we could have tied Douglas down to a new deal we would have done already, for me he’s been outstanding and makes a massive difference when he’s in the team. I think he’s gone in the summer to Man City and they’ll be little we can do. Bit of a shame but there you go.

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #388 on: December 24, 2020, 08:24:48 PM »
I would love us to get some searing pace.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #389 on: December 24, 2020, 09:29:32 PM »
OK.  Tin Helmet?  Check.  Hoping for some Xmas softening.... not so much.

This season's Danny Drinkwater....

Delle Alli.

The lad has some talent and has shown it at the highest level.  He doesn't like, respect or wish to play for Bourinho... no blame there imo... just a thought... don't crucify me at christmas, wait until easter =P

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal