collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 172428 times)

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #330 on: December 22, 2020, 09:47:15 AM »
At the risk of getting battered, I wouldn’t mind going for Dwight Gayle. He is something different to what we have, he scores goals and he’s out of contract in the summer (I think). Good off the bench.

Runs for cover...

He is a funny one as looks a goal scorer but never seems to tie down a starting place

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #331 on: December 22, 2020, 10:08:33 AM »
I never understand why people think Dwight Gayle would add goals, he is, at best, 1 in 5 in the premier league. His record in the championship is great but he's proven repeatedly he's not good enough for the top flight but somehow people still bring his name up whenever there's talk of a shortage of goals up front, it's bizarre and applies to a few other strikers as well (Mitrovic being the other common one).

If we're after a forward it needs to be someone on a short deal who brings experience and quality, Mandzukic is the obvious choice if he's interested and isn't asking for stupid money.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #332 on: December 22, 2020, 11:41:49 AM »
Still think we need another central defender. Hause has played well, but Engels is out of favour so not much cover. Someone less error prone that relegates Mings to backup center half would be great.
Also think we need another option up front to compete with Watkins, one that isn't Wesley who wasn't very good before a bad injury.
Same old narrative for a player whose goalscoring last season was tracking at 15 for the season.
I'm looking forward to seeing him and Watkins play together.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #333 on: December 22, 2020, 12:07:14 PM »
Dwight Gayle is a championship player.

Let's not undersell ourselves. Like hiring Mcleish after we'd just finished in the top half. We are on the up and capable of attracting much better players than a diving, Championship bully.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #334 on: December 22, 2020, 12:52:12 PM »
Still think we need another central defender. Hause has played well, but Engels is out of favour so not much cover. Someone less error prone that relegates Mings to backup center half would be great.
Also think we need another option up front to compete with Watkins, one that isn't Wesley who wasn't very good before a bad injury.
Same old narrative for a player whose goalscoring last season was tracking at 15 for the season.
I'm looking forward to seeing him and Watkins play together.

I doubt we will see Wesley playing with Watkins, it will be either / or as he is not suited to playing on the wing. If we do see him it will be because Watkins is injured so lets hope we don't!

We will never know if he would have got 15 last season had he not got injured, but I doubt it. He was extremely poor for most games and has had a bad injury which oftentimes players come back from at a lower standard. Add to this that has not played for a year and will not be hitting the ground running. Whilst I have been pleasantly surprised with improvements from other players that did not play well last season (Trezeguet and Targett) I really don't think we should be risking that with Wesley who was comfortably our most lacklustre singing last season and lacked effort as well as looking devoid of any of the attributes that make for a good striker.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #335 on: December 22, 2020, 12:56:15 PM »
Don't like him much do you ASHTONVILLA?

Offline ASHTONVILLA

« Reply #336 on: December 22, 2020, 01:08:26 PM »

I like him well enough, seems a nice lad and has a lovely backstory. I don't rate him much as a footballer though on the evidence thus far. I would be delighted to be proven wrong on it though, and have been proven wrong a lot lately on Smith (wanted him gone before our remarkable recovery), Targett (had him down as the weakest link but has been great), Trezeguet (been good this season), Konsa (didn't rate him before his post lockdown improvement in form).

Things are going really well at the moment, and a bit of backup at centre half and centre forward would help in the event of any injuries.

Offline Eckybloke

• GM : 06.06.2019
« Reply #337 on: December 22, 2020, 01:08:31 PM »
I thought Wesley looked like a guy struggling to adapt to a new league and country. I thought he looked like he struggled to create chances for himself when Jack and McGinn were off form or out.  There didn’t seem to be a massive amount of creativity around at the time to get him the chances.

I feel glass more than half full. I think coming into this team, in this form and with the multiple threats we create from the left, the right and down the middle will hopefully see him right. I think like many others from last season he feeds off the confidence of the whole team. Nobody seems nervous, nobody feels that your striker has one chance and they have to take it...we’ve shown we almost create them at will, like buses another will be along shortly.

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #338 on: December 22, 2020, 01:19:49 PM »
Maxi Gomez from Valencia, 24 Uruguayan international striker, better than a 1in 3 strike rate in his career to date.

Seem a bit of him on TV looks decent has a big buy out clause but could be got on the cheap due to Valencia's financial problems.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #339 on: December 22, 2020, 01:59:05 PM »
It will hopefully be a good situation for Wesley to come back into.  Watkins is clearly first choice, so he can be eased back in gradually and there won't be too much pressure on him. 

If he looks useful in the second half of the season then great.  If not, I still think we would get a decentish fee for him from abroad.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #340 on: December 22, 2020, 02:03:11 PM »
Maxi Gomez from Valencia, 24 Uruguayan international striker, better than a 1in 3 strike rate in his career to date.

Seem a bit of him on TV looks decent has a big buy out clause but could be got on the cheap due to Valencia's financial problems.

That's more like it.

Fucking Dwight Gayle, honestly...

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #341 on: December 22, 2020, 02:18:54 PM »

He's one of a number who would happily write off a 22/23 year old after 20 games because improvement can't possibly happen and anything Wesley did well was just an accident, it's beyond dull.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 02:47:36 PM by paul_e »

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #342 on: December 22, 2020, 02:22:02 PM »
I reckon a lot would have written off Douglas based on his first 6 months. Players take time to adjust sometimes. It’s mad to write Wesley off.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

« Reply #343 on: December 22, 2020, 02:53:10 PM »
I reckon a lot would have written off Douglas based on his first 6 months. Players take time to adjust sometimes. It’s mad to write Wesley off.

I am not assuming he wont improve, he might. However it is just as likely that he wont and it's reckless to assume he will improve when he is returning from a major injury, and to have him as the only backup.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #344 on: December 22, 2020, 02:55:47 PM »
You could see that Luiz had the talent to be a success in his position, he was just inconsistent and playing with Nakamba which didn't help him at all.  I don't mind admitting that I just don't get it with Wesley.  He's not very quick and not very good in the air.  I hope I'm wrong and probably will be, but I don't really see what he offers.  Everything you get with Ollie; in pace, ability to run the wings, being good in the box and strength in the air, you just don't get with Wesley.  Like Joelinton at Newcastle, I just don't think he looks suited to the Premier League.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal