collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 172461 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #240 on: December 16, 2020, 11:09:00 AM »
Probably because Brentford were already pulling our pants down. How much was the Benhrama fee? Another £30m? He's hardly pulled up any trees since moving.

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #241 on: December 16, 2020, 11:30:09 AM »
The pandemic and the citeh case has blown FFP out of the water.

Not really.  THere are still stated limits but based on a 2 year period instead of the usual 1.  Any club that deliberately goes and flouts these on a big scale will be gambling with their future in the league.  No respnsible owner is going to go and do that unless and until FFP is formally scrapped.   

Whose FFP are we talking about: UEFA's, the Premier League's or the Championship's? Does the PL even have FFP? If it's UEFA, we could always sacrifice a year in the Europa League if it meant getting the players in to make us top 4 contenders.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #242 on: December 16, 2020, 11:57:12 AM »
The pandemic and the citeh case has blown FFP out of the water.

Not really.  THere are still stated limits but based on a 2 year period instead of the usual 1.  Any club that deliberately goes and flouts these on a big scale will be gambling with their future in the league.  No respnsible owner is going to go and do that unless and until FFP is formally scrapped.   

Whose FFP are we talking about: UEFA's, the Premier League's or the Championship's? Does the PL even have FFP? If it's UEFA, we could always sacrifice a year in the Europa League if it meant getting the players in to make us top 4 contenders.
Yes the PL has FFP as does UEFA & the Championship.  All can impose santions.  With Covid there will be some ammending of the rules (accounting over 2 years etc) and I presume there will be some margins for error in the circumsatnces.  But if a club tries to take the piss I'm pretty sure there will be sactions and responsible owners would be daft to take that risk.  As such, wealthy as we are I just can't see a big spending spree in Jan and we will probably be fairly limited in what we can do in summer 21 too.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #243 on: December 16, 2020, 01:14:38 PM »
UEFA FFP will be changed, they've backed themselves into a corner over  it because they've already deferred 19/20 and 20/21 to a single review in July and another 6 months without fans since and no clear end to restrictions means that deferral isn't of much value to anyone. I doubt they'll announce anything until after the window though to head off teams using it as an excuse to go mad with spending but almost every club in Europe will have seen a drop in revenue but won't have had a comparable drop in costs and that is going to have to be reflected in the review.

That said I disagree with Chris' suggestion that we'll be 'fairly limited', certainly in the summer I can see another window of spending £100m-ish because that window will be the first where FFP isn't including a championship season, given the difference in income between the leagues that dropping off will be huge. That lines up with a comment from Purslow as well where he talked about it talking 2-3 years before the club is fully reintegrated into the premier league from a financial perspective.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #244 on: December 16, 2020, 01:45:12 PM »
Probably because Brentford were already pulling our pants down. How much was the Benhrama fee? Another £30m? He's hardly pulled up any trees since moving.

He got the assist for the winner against us!  He's got pace and is willing to take people on, something I've yet to see Traore even attempt.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #245 on: December 16, 2020, 02:06:08 PM »

He got the assist for the winner against us!  He's got pace and is willing to take people on, something I've yet to see Traore even attempt.

I think if Benrahma was at any other club than Brentford we'd have signed him
think we got fed up and maybe a little embarrassed just handed over multi millions of pounds to them

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #246 on: December 16, 2020, 03:37:23 PM »
Traore is work in progess just like Trez was this time last year. No guarentee he'll come good but we need to give him time, he's had flashes in games so far like so many of last year's signings.

We must get a new striker in January given the latest Davis knock is predictably keeping him out for weeks on end so we don't have a plan B striker option to come off bench for last 30 minutes of games like Brighton and West Ham.

Beyond that I think we can wait for say a left back until the summer. Can see another CB in January aswell if Engels is moved out.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #247 on: December 16, 2020, 05:04:05 PM »
Traore is work in progess just like Trez was this time last year. No guarentee he'll come good but we need to give him time, he's had flashes in games so far like so many of last year's signings.

We must get a new striker in January given the latest Davis knock is predictably keeping him out for weeks on end so we don't have a plan B striker option to come off bench for last 30 minutes of games like Brighton and West Ham.

Beyond that I think we can wait for say a left back until the summer. Can see another CB in January aswell if Engels is moved out.
Agree on all the points there.  I think Traore's being written off too early.  There's flashes of brilliance there.  Much like Trez, I think we'll only begin to have a good idea of how good a signing he is in 9-12 months time.

Offline Risso

« Reply #248 on: December 16, 2020, 05:11:07 PM »
Flashes of brilliance?  When were those exactly?  Nobody's writing him off, but he's looked rubbish so far.  I'd be happy with flashes of competence.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #249 on: December 16, 2020, 05:12:38 PM »
I'm with Risso on this one.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #250 on: December 16, 2020, 05:13:41 PM »
His goal in the cup and his delivery for our goal against Brighton weren't bad, to be fair.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #251 on: December 16, 2020, 05:25:40 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure anyone can ignore that goal as a flash of brilliance, there was a perfect first touch to open wolves up at the weekend as well.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #252 on: December 16, 2020, 05:32:51 PM »
Traore isn't being written off, it just felt like a strange signing and use of funds given our thin squad.

As for Trez, yes he's had some really good moments, he's likeable and his work ethic is outstanding.  But I just dont think he's creative or clinical enough to be a long term solution on the right wing.  I watch players like Jack Harrison at Leeds (yes I know he plays mainly on the left but he's left footed and can play on the right) and just wish we had someone direct and creative like him on the right.   I don't mean we should go and buy him, I just think he's better than Trez at the moment.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #253 on: December 16, 2020, 05:59:38 PM »
We are looking for somebody capable of playing either flank to allow Grealish to play in the middle when needed and more options up front.  I'm happy to see Ramsey get the game in the middle this season, there's not too much pressure due to our excellent start and the confidence of the team around him will only help.  Oh and a goalkeeper....

Offline Risso

« Reply #254 on: December 16, 2020, 06:00:43 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure anyone can ignore that goal as a flash of brilliance, there was a perfect first touch to open wolves up at the weekend as well.

One of his coaches did.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal