collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 173699 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #195 on: December 15, 2020, 01:17:55 PM »
Our owners are worth a combined 10billion

so instead of listening to where Jack Grealish might be off to all the time why don’t we put the cat amonst the pigeons if ffp is relaxed
unlikely it they would ever come off but would make headlines and if it did happen we’d be taken seriously for champs league football

100mill for Son
80 mill for Greenwood

FTF

I don't see them cancelling FFP or even watering it down to any great extent - they have to protect the chosen ones.  There will obviously be tweaks to reflect reduced income but there's no way we're going to be allowed to go on a sweet shop spending spree.  That drawbridge is well and truly up.

Oh Balls.... do you mean to say my Bid for Son and Greenwood is a non starter

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #196 on: December 15, 2020, 01:54:51 PM »
Well yes it's obvious your comment is a joke in terms of the players mentioned, but the issue applies to all the wishlists being posted.  We have fantastically wealthy owners, but they're just not going to be allowed to spend the money the way we (and hopefully they) would like.  Given our summer spending it's hard to imagine we can spend much in Jan without being way of track with FFP and leavng ourselves with no room for manouvre next season.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #197 on: December 15, 2020, 01:55:26 PM »
Two of those for their song potential alone. Lala la Bamba!
this is an excellent spot btw.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #198 on: December 15, 2020, 02:08:31 PM »
Well yes it's obvious your comment is a joke in terms of the players mentioned, but the issue applies to all the wishlists being posted.  We have fantastically wealthy owners, but they're just not going to be allowed to spend the money the way we (and hopefully they) would like.  Given our summer spending it's hard to imagine we can spend much in Jan without being way of track with FFP and leavng ourselves with no room for manouvre next season.

I was actually semi serious
Man City and Chelsea are where they are because they have owners with money not because they are naturally bigger clubs than Villa

we now have owners with money
I don’t know or understand all the data with ffp and if as you say the drawbridge has been pulled up then there’s nothing we can do

but the difference in players we will need to get to the next level (top 4/6) will cost big money along with those coming through the academy and the bargain punts that turn out good from a professional scouting network

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #199 on: December 15, 2020, 02:20:32 PM »
The pandemic and the citeh case has blown FFP out of the water.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #200 on: December 15, 2020, 02:25:10 PM »

Not really.  THere are still stated limits but based on a 2 year period instead of the usual 1.  Any club that deliberately goes and flouts these on a big scale will be gambling with their future in the league.  No respnsible owner is going to go and do that unless and until FFP is formally scrapped.   

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #201 on: December 15, 2020, 02:55:09 PM »
As much as I want to see the squad strengthened (really like the ward-prowse call earlier), the two deals I'd really like to see us do, and that wouldn't actually change the squad this season at all, would be to negotiate away Luiz's buy-back option from Man City, and make the Barkley deal permanent. 

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #202 on: December 15, 2020, 03:00:41 PM »

FFP didn't come in until after Man City won the lottery.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #203 on: December 15, 2020, 03:25:15 PM »
Tammy or Eduard should be get able.

Tammy is still getting regular game time with Chelsea, albeit mostly off the bench. Ollie Watkins is our number one striker now so why would Tammy leave title contenders and come here to do a similar sub job?

A player I'd like to see us go for would be Ward-Prowse. Could play the Douglas Luiz holding role, with the bonus of his amazing dead ball delivery from corners and in particular free kicks around the penalty area won by Jack.
  Eduard/Tammy would replace Ollie as first choice centre forward. Ollie can move to wide left or regular sub after 60mins. Not sure Ward-Prowse would leave Saints in top 4 to join us but I wouldn't be against it. That would cost mega millions though.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #204 on: December 15, 2020, 03:33:40 PM »
Tammy is still getting regular game time with Chelsea, albeit mostly off the bench. Ollie Watkins is our number one striker now so why would Tammy leave title contenders and come here to do a similar sub job?
A player I'd like to see us go for would be Ward-Prowse. Could play the Douglas Luiz holding role, with the bonus of his amazing dead ball delivery from corners and in particular free kicks around the penalty area won by Jack.
  Eduard/Tammy would replace Ollie as first choice centre forward. Ollie can move to wide left or regular sub after 60mins. Not sure Ward-Prowse would leave Saints in top 4 to join us but I wouldn't be against it. That would cost mega millions though.
Eduoard is the only feasible option of those mentioned here, at this time. Summer? - different scenario.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #205 on: December 15, 2020, 04:30:46 PM »

There's really no need to replace Watkins. Give him some competition perhaps, but he doesn't need replacing at all. The only gettable players who have more goals/assists would possibly be Ings or Zaha.

Offline Bryan

« Reply #206 on: December 15, 2020, 05:04:51 PM »
Whats the situation with Josh King? Isn’t his contract up soon?

Would be useful as he can play across the front, although David Brooks is the one guy I’d really want from the Championship

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #207 on: December 15, 2020, 05:16:31 PM »
I think we should be done shopping in the Championship to be honest. The attacking difference that Barkley has given us is precisely why we need to shop higher up the food chain.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #208 on: December 15, 2020, 06:14:53 PM »
We definitely need to strengthen in January.

Suspensions are already starting to bite and who knows what injuries will transpire.

If we haven't got huge amounts to spend,  then going after players like King and Brooks is a decent option. They are not staple Championship players and would give us better strength in depth.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #209 on: December 15, 2020, 07:02:34 PM »
Do you know how much Brooks would cost?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal