collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 172325 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2020, 12:36:07 PM »
I think Konsa could well become a Villa legend for years to come, he just needs somebody as good as he is to play next to.

I very nearly mentioned him in my post, I agree completely. I disagree with you on Mings though, I think he's good enough for where we are and want to be for the next couple of years. He's had a couple of bad games but he's still a mid-table premier league player.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2020, 12:55:56 PM »
I think Konsa could well become a Villa legend for years to come, he just needs somebody as good as he is to play next to.

I very nearly mentioned him in my post, I agree completely. I disagree with you on Mings though, I think he's good enough for where we are and want to be for the next couple of years. He's had a couple of bad games but he's still a mid-table premier league player.

He's had dozens of bad games.  He must have been responsible for more soft goals conceded than anybody else.  I really think he's living off his reputation from the year when we came up, because he's been mostly poor since then.  If he played for one of the teams at our current level we wouldn't want him.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2020, 01:10:21 PM »

konsa was quality against west ham

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2020, 01:11:21 PM »

He's had dozens of bad games.  He must have been responsible for more soft goals conceded than anybody else.  I really think he's living off his reputation from the year when we came up, because he's been mostly poor since then.  If he played for one of the teams at our current level we wouldn't want him.

I'm sorry but this isn't right.  Mings has made mistakes at times, but he has effectively has 1 full season at centre-half in the Premier League, in a team that struggled and had injuries.  He is now 9 games into a season with a new goalkeeper behind him, right back and for the first time has a settled centre-half partner.  Even Virgil Van Dyke looked shite against us early in the season, it happens.

Also, where are these mythical centre-backs who are so much better than him.  As far as I can see you have the likes of John Stones and Nathan Ake at Man City, Eric Dier at Spurs and Harry Maguire at Man Utd getting regular games, and yet none of them look any better than Mings to me - in fact, given the option how many would you honestly pick ahead of him for England at the moment?

Offline Risso

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2020, 01:20:01 PM »

I'm sorry but this isn't right.  Mings has made mistakes at times, but he has effectively has 1 full season at centre-half in the Premier League, in a team that struggled and had injuries.  He is now 9 games into a season with a new goalkeeper behind him, right back and for the first time has a settled centre-half partner.  Even Virgil Van Dyke looked shite against us early in the season, it happens.

Also, where are these mythical centre-backs who are so much better than him.  As far as I can see you have the likes of John Stones and Nathan Ake at Man City, Eric Dier at Spurs and Harry Maguire at Man Utd getting regular games, and yet none of them look any better than Mings to me - in fact, given the option how many would you honestly pick ahead of him for England at the moment?

Sorry, wasn't aware that we had to have English centre backs.  The fact that they're all mediocre doesn't excuse Mings in any case.  He has all the attributes to be an amazing centre half, in strength, height and speed, but also all the failings that will stop him achieving what he should be capable of. He can't concentrate for a whole match, he loses the player he should be marking over and over again, he's rubbish at defending corners and set pieces and he tries too many daft things when in possession.  You don't see Konsa making the mistakes that Mings does time and time gain, and he's much younger and has even less experience.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2020, 01:34:17 PM »

I meant in the last couple of games not since we got the premier league.

I like him not because of the promotion season but because I think he's a good player that needs to work on a few things in his game. I think he's on a similar level to most central defenders in the top half of the premier league.

Offline trinityoap

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2020, 01:35:58 PM »
Are we being linked with Carlton Palmer?

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2020, 02:14:02 PM »

Sorry, wasn't aware that we had to have English centre backs.  The fact that they're all mediocre doesn't excuse Mings in any case.  He has all the attributes to be an amazing centre half, in strength, height and speed, but also all the failings that will stop him achieving what he should be capable of. He can't concentrate for a whole match, he loses the player he should be marking over and over again, he's rubbish at defending corners and set pieces and he tries too many daft things when in possession.  You don't see Konsa making the mistakes that Mings does time and time gain, and he's much younger and has even less experience.

So where are the foreign centre-backs that are playing for other teams that are so much better then?  Pretty much everyone is conceding a lot more goals this season, it will be interesting to see how many of these lapses in concentration reduce when there are crowds back in the stadium screaming at the centre backs.

As for losing his man,  given we seem to mark zonally most of the time surely this is a collective thing - I don't see how Mings is any more culpable for the goals we've been conceding than Konsa is(or the rest of the team for that matter).  Konsa has been great this season and is a real prospect, but we seem to be getting back to finding a scapegoat for all of our ills when in reality there is collective blame.  Last season Targett was the main focus of everyone's ire, now he appears to be more settled we've moved onto someone else.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2020, 02:15:07 PM »
With Wes being back soon a striker not so pressing. For me a massive upgrade needed on Trez/El Ghazi and a decent CB to properly challenge Konsa and Mings. Hause not good enough and Engels made of glass.

A new left back would also be great but that can always wait till the summer

Offline Risso

« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2020, 02:15:56 PM »
Ah the old scapegoat nonsense.  At that point, any further debate becomes pointless.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2020, 02:16:33 PM »
Players like Charlie Taylor and the rest listed on expiring contracts such as Lundstrum are players who are a decent age and deserve a big time move for being steady and effective at Premier league level.
Either of these would add the competition to places at left back and central midfield.

Ok so maybe they are the type of signings Newcastle or Palace may make rather than ourselves but its good to have a solid back up player who understands he's part of a squad

Like the gk position having someone who can do a job is important to be a solid back up in a tricky season.
We also need the added quality to improve the squad which would come with bigger signings but the out of contract players are more supplement to the squad.

Jesse Lingard and Damaru Gray would be gambles who can produce but also careers have been stitled and a change can encourage them to be better performers again

I'm not against either as in the right system and team they would be very effective.

Striker wise Giroud would be the only one for a shirt term nove as a central striker.

Lundstrom would be a very astute move. Ive heard Demari Gray is Spurs bound on a free come the summer

Offline paul_e

« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2020, 02:22:33 PM »
I'm surprised that so many people think a midfielder who's been a regular for a team with 1 point in 10 games who have been over run in midfield in most of those games would be a good signing. From what I've seen of him I'd say he's nowhere near good enough to be playing in the premier league let alone for a team that is trying to push into the top half.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2020, 02:30:40 PM »
Ah the old scapegoat nonsense.  At that point, any further debate becomes pointless.

Why?  You said Mings has had dozens of bad games for us.  To date he's made 57 appearances for Villa, which means you think he's been shit in at least half of his games for us - if that was the case then how on earth did we get promoted, stay up and Mings force his way into the England squad?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2020, 02:35:39 PM »
With Wes being back soon a striker not so pressing. For me a massive upgrade needed on Trez/El Ghazi and a decent CB to properly challenge Konsa and Mings. Hause not good enough and Engels made of glass.

A new left back would also be great but that can always wait till the summer

Is Engels injured or just still out of favour?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2020, 02:58:34 PM »

As for losing his man,  given we seem to mark zonally most of the time surely this is a collective thing - I don't see how Mings is any more culpable for the goals we've been conceding than Konsa is(or the rest of the team for that matter).  Konsa has been great this season and is a real prospect, but we seem to be getting back to finding a scapegoat for all of our ills when in reality there is collective blame.  Last season Targett was the main focus of everyone's ire, now he appears to be more settled we've moved onto someone else.
I agree with this. Against BHA, the first goal was down to the defence as a whole being AWOL. The first goal that WetSpam scored was down to a lack of collective awareness of what was going on. Perhaps Martinez ain't quite the communicator we thought he is ...
It's corny but true: we win together / we lose together. We should be taking collective accountability for games.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal