collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 10:16:54 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:08:40 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:40:37 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 09:40:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by algy
[Today at 09:18:36 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by AV84
[Today at 09:01:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 0 v Stoke 1 Post-Match Thread  (Read 15647 times)

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
Re: Aston Villa 0 v Stoke 1 Post-Match Thread
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2020, 10:51:39 AM »

Shows how light up top we are. Smith has very few alternatives. Glaringly obvious that another striker is needed. Will he act before Monday's deadline??

Agreed. Archer from the U23s, but Smith is no longer interested in him.

So has something happened/been said that makes you have this opinion, Legion?  Thought Cameron was one of the up and coming hopefuls?

He is (or was) as Smith prefers Ramsey and Vassilev.

Surely if they are all good enough there will be room for all of them?  Send him out on loan and see how he develops.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2020, 11:00:46 AM »
Agreed. All would benefit greatly, Bridge as well.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #182 on: October 02, 2020, 11:04:04 AM »
Early days yet and I am not for one moment writing him off, but I was massively unimpressed with Traore last night.  Hopefully he'll come good when surrounded by the likes of Jack and Luiz, but he didn't seem very interested in trying to beat some average Championship defenders last night.  Can't see him dislodging Trez from the first team for a while yet.

I agree. Just for his work rate alone Trez deserves to keep his place. There also seems to be a good understanding growing between him and Cash on that right side, so I only see Traore coming off the bench in the next few games.

Jesus, £19m on someone not capable of displacing the utterly underwhelming Trezeguet.  Come back Suso all is forgiven.

Traore just looked so disinterested last night and not the type of performance you would expect from a player who had just joined the club and was looking to cement a place in the team.

I may be wrong and I hope I am, but he will need to step up with better performances than he did last night.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #183 on: October 02, 2020, 11:11:40 AM »
Thankfully didn't see the match but Villa Talk are saying Jota was man of the match and he was only on for about 15 mins of the match, just shows how bad we must have been.

Online Legion

« Reply #184 on: October 02, 2020, 11:16:00 AM »
Man of the Match? Hardly. Watkins offered far more when he came on.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #185 on: October 02, 2020, 11:24:37 AM »
Given the quality teams left in the competition and our struggles in the league last season I am quite comfortable with us going out of the cup and concentrating on the league.

richtheholtender

« Reply #186 on: October 02, 2020, 11:35:15 AM »
Thankfully didn't see the match but Villa Talk are saying Jota was man of the match and he was only on for about 15 mins of the match, just shows how bad we must have been.

Can’t say I’ve watched Jota and thought he has massively let us down. The only thing I would say is that he clearly with never complete 90 minutes in a Villa shirt. There have been time’s though where we’ve needed a goal, not used him and I feel we could have.

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #187 on: October 02, 2020, 12:16:53 PM »
Well said Footy...this season must be about the league..I don’t want cup runs as I want us to consolidate and make ourselves a permanent fixture in the too division

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2020, 12:47:17 PM »
Bridge is another one that could have been tried instead of Hause yesterday. Just my opinion of course.

Hause could have been moved over to left back where he's possibly had his best performances in a Villa shirt.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #189 on: October 02, 2020, 01:01:24 PM »
We must, too, remember we are still in league fighting for the title (well at this time) and have a major match in the league Sunday . Any chance of a pre match thread today.(please ,it so makes sense)
Then we can put that Cup game aside and focus on what sort of Line up and performance Vs Liverpool!
Beat Liverpool then this Stoke cup thread means nothing!

How about we all move on to the next game?
And see the bigger picture. Because that's why yesterday's team were on the field.
And now it's gone . No need to dwell when we have a big game on Sunday

Bring on Liverpool - I think we can get a result!
Yours optimistically (for a thread some time today)
FV!

Some of us used to like winning cups not finishing 17th in the league.  Even the Peace Cup win was exciting.  Okay so I might have overegged that.

Online Legion

« Reply #190 on: October 02, 2020, 01:04:31 PM »
The highlight of NRC's career.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #191 on: October 02, 2020, 02:09:58 PM »
We must, too, remember we are still in league fighting for the title (well at this time) and have a major match in the league Sunday . Any chance of a pre match thread today.(please ,it so makes sense)
Then we can put that Cup game aside and focus on what sort of Line up and performance Vs Liverpool!

And see the bigger picture. Because that's why yesterday's team were on the field.

FV!

Some of us used to like winning cups not finishing 17th in the league.  Even the Peace Cup win was exciting.  Okay so I might have overegged that.

but the point is that finishing 17th isn't good enough. If the manager thinks he can't afford to put out the string team in the cup, and 11 changes from Monday tells you that as clearly as can be, then that's fair enough. He'll be judged on our league position this year, just like a cup final last season wouldn't have been enough to save his job if we'd gone down.

Our aim, if you believe the owners/CEO, is to re-establish ourselves in the top half of the premier league, to do that we need to attract better players and to do that we need to improve our league placing to show we're moving in the right direction. finishing 10-12 in the league and being safely out of the dog fight with 5-6 games to go will do more to show our progress than another league cup run. If we're looking on target for that when the FA cup comes around then lets put out a stronger team in that and go for the cup that we all actually want to see Jack lift.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #192 on: October 02, 2020, 02:55:07 PM »

FV!

but the point is that finishing 17th isn't good enough. If the manager thinks he can't afford to put out the string team in the cup, and 11 changes from Monday tells you that as clearly as can be, then that's fair enough. He'll be judged on our league position this year, just like a cup final last season wouldn't have been enough to save his job if we'd gone down.

Our aim, if you believe the owners/CEO, is to re-establish ourselves in the top half of the premier league, to do that we need to attract better players and to do that we need to improve our league placing to show we're moving in the right direction. finishing 10-12 in the league and being safely out of the dog fight with 5-6 games to go will do more to show our progress than another league cup run. If we're looking on target for that when the FA cup comes around then lets put out a stronger team in that and go for the cup that we all actually want to see Jack lift.

Guess so Paul and cup competitions have sadly long paled into insignificance compared to a spot in the Premier League.

The aim surely is to build a squad that can be competitive in all competitions (including Europe hopefully), but we are a way off that at the moment.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #193 on: October 02, 2020, 03:23:20 PM »
Guess so Paul and cup competitions have sadly long paled into insignificance compared to a spot in the Premier League.

The aim surely is to build a squad that can be competitive in all competitions (including Europe hopefully), but we are a way off that at the moment.

The 2nd line is the key here, we don't have the depth right now so what focus gives us the best chance to build that depth of quality over the next few windows? I think everyone knows it's all about league placing if they're honest with themselves.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #194 on: October 02, 2020, 03:29:13 PM »
We’ve spent £200m and don’t have the depth. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal