collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 0 v Stoke 1 Post-Match Thread  (Read 15638 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Aston Villa 0 v Stoke 1 Post-Match Thread
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2020, 08:06:12 AM »
We have 2 realistic chances to win a trophy and last night we chucked 1 away

Still in the title race.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2020, 08:21:11 AM »
Cups matter, what is the point of supporting a club, if it is not about winning things. I understand the debate about staying in the premier league or winning a trophy, because of the money, but if we think we will be ok this season, why not try to win something? I would rather be in the quarter finals and give this a go than beat Liverpool. Personally I would rather finish 16th and win the League Cup than finish 8th.

The attitude of cups don't matter is silly. Some of best Villa memories have been in the League cup. Listening on the radio with my Dad to the third replay v Everton as a six year old, 1994, 1996, Leicester away last season, Arsenal away and Dwight Yorke in 1996, plus loads more. Personally I am very disappointed.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2020, 08:50:14 AM »
Credit to Stoke, they deserved that. We are stuck with so much dead wood. Who in their right mind would want any of that lot. Headless chickens without a sign of any tactics. Shocking performance.

Agree. I don't blame Dean, the games have been coming thick and fast. If any of these players wanted to prove they are good enough for the first team tonight was the night. Obviously they are not. Anyway, we are more interested in the FA Cup this year.
Everton played a near first team two nights ago and had two injuries to key players. That's the risk.   

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2020, 08:55:19 AM »
Credit to Stoke, they deserved that. We are stuck with so much dead wood. Who in their right mind would want any of that lot. Headless chickens without a sign of any tactics. Shocking performance.

Agree. I don't blame Dean, the games have been coming thick and fast. If any of these players wanted to prove they are good enough for the first team tonight was the night. Obviously they are not. Anyway, we are more interested in the FA Cup this year.
Everton played a near first team two nights ago and had two injuries to key players. That's the risk.

As someone else pointed out, that can happen in any game

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #154 on: October 02, 2020, 08:59:46 AM »
On the evidence of last night we can expect a struggle again this season if we suffer two or more injuries to our first team. 

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #155 on: October 02, 2020, 09:18:10 AM »
Deleted.  What's the point?

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #156 on: October 02, 2020, 09:25:28 AM »

I like your posts.  What did you say? 

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #157 on: October 02, 2020, 09:31:06 AM »
I can imagine the meltdown on here if he had played a near strength full side three days before playing the League Champions and we go on to pick up or or two injuries. It would have been 'Why didn't he go with the same side that beat Bristol City so easily'.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #158 on: October 02, 2020, 09:32:51 AM »

I like your posts.  What did you say? 
Nothing of any great wit or substance.  Something about that team not being good enough for the Championship, but it felt a bit like gloating after a discussion yesterday and I didn't want to be that guy.

It's too easy to lash out after performances like that, so I'm going to take a deep breath.

richtheholtender

« Reply #159 on: October 02, 2020, 09:37:48 AM »
Cups matter, what is the point of supporting a club, if it is not about winning things. I understand the debate about staying in the premier league or winning a trophy, because of the money, but if we think we will be ok this season, why not try to win something? I would rather be in the quarter finals and give this a go than beat Liverpool. Personally I would rather finish 16th and win the League Cup than finish 8th.

The attitude of cups don't matter is silly. Some of best Villa memories have been in the League cup. Listening on the radio with my Dad to the third replay v Everton as a six year old, 1994, 1996, Leicester away last season, Arsenal away and Dwight Yorke in 1996, plus loads more. Personally I am very disappointed.

100%

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #160 on: October 02, 2020, 09:37:50 AM »
I'm pissed off more with the lethargic performance than being out of the cup.  In the last round, albeit against a second string Bristol City side, the backups played with energy, movement and creativity which made us think we had the basis of a squad.  This poor performance gave the opposite impression.  The truth is probably somewhere in between but Traore didn't exactly shine in a £19m kind of way and Davis struggled against a couple of big strong centre backs.   Despite being crap we created at least two clear chances - on another day one or both of those sitters get tucked away and maybe we go through.  Many of us have been saying for a while we are light on cover for CB and LB - I think last night underlined the case.     

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #161 on: October 02, 2020, 09:44:46 AM »
On another day those chances go in because on an(y)other day it's not Davis and Lansbury on the end of those chances.

Offline cdward

« Reply #162 on: October 02, 2020, 09:59:07 AM »
It was the walking pace of the game that pissed me off, in the first half we kept recycling the ball backwards and sideways, we weren't even putting a glove on them, and allowing them time to organise themselves.
At least in the 2nd half we showed a bit more intensity, but we can all see why Lansbury and AEG will not be regular PL starters, no consistency.
We definitely need another striker IMO. I like Davis' work rate, but my god he misses some sitters.
Oh well, it would have been rubbish playing a final in an empty Wembley anyway, you can keep your Covid Cup.
Looking forward to a better league performance on Sunday.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #163 on: October 02, 2020, 10:05:01 AM »
Early days yet and I am not for one moment writing him off, but I was massively unimpressed with Traore last night.  Hopefully he'll come good when surrounded by the likes of Jack and Luiz, but he didn't seem very interested in trying to beat some average Championship defenders last night.  Can't see him dislodging Trez from the first team for a while yet.

Online Clampy

« Reply #164 on: October 02, 2020, 10:08:21 AM »
I don't think anyone came out of last night with too much credit really, apart from Ramsey and Watkins when he came on. Even Jota tried to make things happen.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal