collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

July 26, 2021, 10:29:34 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 371 | Comments: 1

One or two reading this may re...
July 03, 2021, 09:28:05 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1165 | Comments: 15

It would have been fitting if ...
June 23, 2021, 06:40:04 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 710 | Comments: 2

Having a total aversion to Sub...
June 15, 2021, 06:18:19 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 793 | Comments: 2

It is not unknown for us to le...
June 07, 2021, 11:24:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 883 | Comments: 3

The money had almost run out b...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ross Barkley - signed  (Read 107303 times)

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 19.03.2022
Re: Ross Barkley - signed
« Reply #705 on: January 24, 2021, 01:43:35 PM »
I wouldn’t be in for him this window. If he stays injury free and gets back to the level before his injury then it’s a consideration at the right price. £30 Million ish

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #706 on: January 24, 2021, 01:52:14 PM »
Understandably still looked a bit off the pace last night, but had some sublime touches at times. 

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #707 on: January 24, 2021, 01:53:40 PM »
I think we look a better attacking team with him in it.

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #708 on: January 24, 2021, 01:56:20 PM »
TBH, before Ross joined on loan I'll happily say never a fan. The Liverpool and Arsenal games swayed me to change my mind a little but other times I watch him I'm back to not sure again.

It's his decision making in that role, something you cant afford to be is indecisive, and throughout his career I think that's his downfall. You can hear without fans the screams and gestures from Jack and Ollie when he holds onto the ball, stutters and doesn't release it at the right time.

I'm not too sure about him, I don't think we'll pay anymore than £20-£25 million for him if it comes to that. Possibly Sanson coming in releases McGinn in a role he favours and we see Luiz, Sanson and McGinn as the three in the long term. I dunno.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 19.03.2022
« Reply #709 on: January 24, 2021, 02:01:29 PM »
We do look better going forward and he has a great understanding with Grealish. My only concern is his injury record. It doesn’t matter how good any player is if they are susceptible to hamstring issues. It will be continually stop start.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 16.05.2022
« Reply #710 on: January 24, 2021, 02:10:58 PM »
The likes of Alli and Eriksen to mention two will be available come summer time too. With our improvement a lot more players will be interested in coming our way. Sanson will add competition until the season end too, plus Jack is more than capable of playing at 10. Maybe some hard competition for his place will see the best of Barkley. But it needs to start from Wednesday night.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #711 on: January 24, 2021, 02:15:10 PM »
The likes of Alli and Eriksen to mention two will be available come summer time too. With our improvement a lot more players will be interested in coming our way. Sanson will add competition until the season end too, plus Jack is more than capable of playing at 10. Maybe some hard competition for his place will see the best of Barkley. But it needs to start from Wednesday night.

No, it doesn't need to start from Wednesday at all. He's just trying to find his sharpness after a while out. It'll come, he needs time. 

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #712 on: January 24, 2021, 02:17:43 PM »
We do look better going forward and he has a great understanding with Grealish. My only concern is his injury record. It doesn’t matter how good any player is if they are susceptible to hamstring issues. It will be continually stop start.

Any player can pick up an injury.  It's when they are in and out of the team through injury that is the problem.  If he goes the rest of the season only missing the odd game through knocks, I would go for him at the end of the season for anything less than £30m.  Running with the ball through midfield is something we have lacked and can open up the defence.  Barkley has this ability to drive at defenders with pace and power.

Online nigel

« Reply #713 on: January 24, 2021, 02:23:07 PM »
There's a bit of the flat track bully about Barkley. I think he has all the physicality and technique to be a consistently high performer but he could definitely improve off the ball and quicker at releasing the ball. He's still not fully fit though so I'm sure there's more to come from him.

I wouldn’t say that, mate.
His 3 best games have come against Liverpool, Arsenal and Leicester.
A flat track bully would have disappeared in those games.

He’s coming back from an injury, so he’s building his match fitness back again.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #714 on: January 24, 2021, 02:23:17 PM »
I like him, there are concerns about his injury record for sure BUT he's got intent in him, he's always looking to drive forward and that's something we've missed in midfield for years.

A sensible transfer fee (if there is such a thing these days) and I'd be all over it.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 16.05.2022
« Reply #715 on: January 24, 2021, 02:28:11 PM »

No, it doesn't need to start from Wednesday at all. He's just trying to find his sharpness after a while out. It'll come, he needs time.

He might not get too much time though. If Grealish, Luiz and McGinn are nailed on starters when fit, there are only two other spots available. Traore, AEG and Trez (who looked sharp when he came on) are all in decent form for arguably one wide spot but with the option of switching Jack inside. Sanson, Ramsey and even Nakamba after last night other options in the middle. McGinn has played for us in Barkley's position before too so Smith has loads of options. I don't think Barkley will have the luxury of another four or five games to play himself back into form and fitness.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #716 on: January 24, 2021, 02:29:43 PM »
I like him, there are concerns about his injury record for sure BUT he's got intent in him, he's always looking to drive forward and that's something we've missed in midfield for years.

A sensible transfer fee (if there is such a thing these days) and I'd be all over it.

It’s obviously something to be aware of, but is his injury record really that bad?

I know he had that bad injury three season ago, but he made the vast majority of Chelsea’s Premier League match day squads in the last two season (I think it’s about 85%). That doesn’t strike me as too bad.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #717 on: January 24, 2021, 02:44:18 PM »
He did ok yesterday, just lacked bit of sharpness. He linked up with Jack, Luiz and Traore really well at times and nearly scored with that overhead flick so provided he stays fit he should do well.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #718 on: January 24, 2021, 03:22:37 PM »
The sharpness with his touch will come. Ball getting stuck under his feet a bit and easy passes going astray. That's just lack of match sharpness really.

My problem with Barkley is that he is a ball hog. I know Jack can be at times but Barkley can just be so ponderous on the ball. Holding onto the ball far too long with players left and right of him. Also, he really offers zilch without the ball. Ive never thought he was a good enough player to get away with either flaw really. If he pressed hard like Watkins we would turn a lot of defenders over.

Burnley might be a good game for him though. They will sit deep so we will need guys comfortable at shooting from distance which he is capable of.
So you don't think he's brought us up a level?

Not really, has played well in three big wins for us alright (Liverpool, Arsenal particularly and Leicester) but been very poor in others and obviously missed a lot of games with injury. 

Yeah, I wish we still had a choice between Connor or Lansbury for that role too.

I miss Bjarnason and Jota, honest.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #719 on: January 24, 2021, 04:55:14 PM »
I don't think Barkley will have the luxury of another four or five games to play himself back into form and fitness.

I think he will as just like SJM, Dean will give him games to bring him up to speed. We're certainly a better team when he plays though I'm yet to decide just how good he is. We certainly need a player like him, whether he is that player only time will tell. The one characteristic he has that would be difficult finding a better alternative is experience. I think Dean highly values that given the youth of our squad.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal