collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fulham 0-3 Aston Villa Post match thread  (Read 17472 times)

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: Fulham 0-3 Aston Villa Post match thread
« Reply #165 on: September 28, 2020, 11:20:21 PM »
I think we need to calm down a bit. At the end of September last year we had 5 points - so we are only one point better off!  :)

Next 2 games we face teams teams in the top 4. But is nice to be one of the other 2.

Early days.

Offline Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #166 on: September 28, 2020, 11:22:38 PM »
I think we need to calm down a bit. At the end of September last year we had 5 points - so we are only one point better off!  :)

Next 2 games we face teams teams in the top 4. But is nice to be one of the other 2.

Early days.

Hang on... we'd played SEVEN games by the end of September last year! We're one better off and we've only played two!

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #167 on: September 28, 2020, 11:26:52 PM »
Yes, I'm not getting carried away at all. But every point we accumulate early on is one we don't have to make up later in the season. I'm pleased with the signs that this season we won't have to deal with the anxiety of potential relegation quite so relentlessly.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #168 on: September 28, 2020, 11:30:48 PM »
Anybody else think the criticism of Targett is both predictable and excessive?

No. He is terrible.
Yes, terrible. And it’s not one game either - been saying it since last season.
His job, first and foremost is to defend, not look fancy doing cheeky one/twos with Jack on the touch line. You could drive a bus through the gap between him and the guy he should be closing down. If he can’t stop Fulham’s supply line, we’re in for a rude awakening on Sunday when he’s up against Trent Alexander-Arnold.
I’d love to play that game back and see how many successful attempts at blocking a cross he made. From memory, it was one.... with his arse. Even Mings was heard screaming at him at one point.
I’d play him again against Stoke and stick Freddie at LB against Liverpool. Guilbert is the best option we currently have for that position, even as a right footer.

The defensive side of it can be subjective, as the modern fullback plays in a different way to the traditional one whose sole purpose was not to get beaten by the opposing winger.

They generally play higher - and that will lead to people getting in behind.  Kyle Walker was as good a fullback as he had in recent years and you could see the attacking quality from the outset. But he was caught out on plenty of occasions.

It's often risk and reward now - you hope the attacking fullback has enough quality or ties up the opposition winger enough to offset the few times he's caught out - and even the very best ones do get caught high. With Targett, the current problem is as well as being a liability defensively he isn't offering a whole pile in the final third either.  His distribution tonight - when we were 2-0 and cruising - was also shocking. Just miscuing simple passes under no pressure.

I still think there's quality there. And if we played a formation where he became the free man either in a back three or wide of the left in midfield, he could be effective for us. But he shouldn't be starting at fullback.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 11:40:50 PM by KevinGage »

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #169 on: September 28, 2020, 11:31:01 PM »
A few posts saying cant remember the last time we won at Fulham. Only one I can remember was Gabbys first half double in a 0-2 win.

Yes, I vaguely recall that too. It's funny, but if you look at the times we won at bogey grounds, Gabby seems to be a consistent factor. He scored the winner at OT just off the top of my hesd.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #170 on: September 28, 2020, 11:37:29 PM »
A few posts saying cant remember the last time we won at Fulham. Only one I can remember was Gabbys first half double in a 0-2 win.

Yes, I vaguely recall that too. It's funny, but if you look at the times we won at bogey grounds, Gabby seems to be a consistent factor. He scored the winner at OT just off the top of my hesd.

And off the top of his!

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #171 on: September 28, 2020, 11:47:59 PM »

No. He is terrible.
His job, first and foremost is to defend, not look fancy doing cheeky one/twos with Jack on the touch line. You could drive a bus through the gap between him and the guy he should be closing down. If he can’t stop Fulham’s supply line, we’re in for a rude awakening on Sunday when he’s up against Trent Alexander-Arnold.
I’d love to play that game back and see how many successful attempts at blocking a cross he made. From memory, it was one.... with his arse. Even Mings was heard screaming at him at one point.
I’d play him again against Stoke and stick Freddie at LB against Liverpool. Guilbert is the best option we currently have for that position, even as a right footer.

How do you know? Yes, Fulham swung plenty of balls into our box, but I don't recall him being skinned for any that they pulled back from the byline, they were almost entirely all hopeful lobs in from 30 yards back up the touchline towards one bloke being more than ably marshalled. To me that looked like a calculated tactic, and with it we pretty much negated their primary weapon. They couldn't turn us and Mitrovic wasn't coming on to anything, all his ammunition had no pace and was coming from behind him.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 11:52:03 PM by Lastfootstamper »

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #172 on: September 28, 2020, 11:51:17 PM »

No. He is terrible.

How do you know? Yes, Fulham swung plenty of balls into our box, but I don't recall him being skinned for any that they pulled back from the byline, they were almost entirely all hopeful lobs in from 30 yards back up the touchline towards one bloke being more than ably marshalled. To me that looked like a calculated tactic, and with it we pretty much negated their primary weapon. They couldn't turn us, and Mitrovic wasn't coming on to anything, all his ammunition had no pace and was coming from behind him.

I had not even considered that when I was balling at him to stop the bloody cross at 3-0 up, but then I did notice that he did block 2-3 late in the game that were past the 18 yard line. Maybe you are right, they were told to let them sling it in from there for the centre backs to deal with, but block anything beyond a certain point. I don't think it will stop me berating him in the next game from my sofa to stop the cross mind lol

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #173 on: September 28, 2020, 11:55:31 PM »
Someone from the pitch or touchline was audibly berating him for not getting close enough to his man in the first half so it doesn't sound like him letting crosses come in all night was part of any plan.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 11:58:12 PM by KevinGage »

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #174 on: September 29, 2020, 12:26:38 AM »
Enjoyed that. Onwards!

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #175 on: September 29, 2020, 12:52:40 AM »
All good. Missed the lot. Catching up now.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #176 on: September 29, 2020, 01:57:17 AM »
Fulham's Denis Odoi was very fortunate not to be sent off. I think the ref actually felt sorry for them.

Offline pelty

« Reply #177 on: September 29, 2020, 05:32:58 AM »
If you want to change a defence that keeps getting clean sheets so you can shoehorn in a right back at left back, then I'm glad you're not the manager.
Not taking it away from the efforts of the rest of our back line, but if our opponents don’t score a hatful from our LB position over the course of the next four games, I’ll hold my hands up and say I was wrong.

The team have put in magnificent shifts since the restart, but those two clean sheets have come against  Fulham and a misfiring Sheff Utd.

Hopefully Targett has got this recent brain fart out of his system, because we’re about to come up against a whole different kettle of fish.

I agree with both these posts. The crosses bug me, but at least I can count on competent defenders to deal with them. My issue is that he does not cover the back door on a regular basis and goals get scored or penalties given as a result (see v Sheffield and an arseload of games last year). It is absolutely unacceptable to switch off and not know where that man is... and there a numerous times he has NO idea where that man is.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #178 on: September 29, 2020, 06:16:23 AM »
thought we did okay - gave the ball away too much, and Watkins on the last 2 games I have seen is not a centre forward, he lacks the physical presence to play that position

If we could sign Mitrovic - for me he would be ideal.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2020, 07:02:51 AM »
That’s harsh on Ollie. In the last two games I have been surprised how strong he is. It was his strength and pace that got the Utd player sent off. At times last night he lead the line very well, hitting the channels, linking play and also got into some good scoring positions. My only criticism was he should have had a couple more goals than he has already.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal