collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fulham 0-3 Aston Villa Post match thread  (Read 17469 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Fulham 0-3 Aston Villa Post match thread
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2020, 07:50:52 PM »
Very very easy, if Watkins had been at his best we could have given our goal difference a real boost. Fulham haven't a prayer staying up with that defence. Mings was very dominant in the air. Jack won't have easier nights at this level but the big plus was the return to form of SJM. Only negatives, were I thought we let crosses into our box far too easy at times, though Cash/Trez certainly worked harder at stopping them in the second half. I also didn't think Luiz was great and I'm not sure the two number 8s suit him. Think he prefers someone sitting alongside him.

Martinez 6, Cash 7, Konsa 7, Mings 8, Targett 6, Luiz 6, Hourihane 7, McGinn 9, Trez 7, Watkins 6, Grealish 9.

Subs :Ramsey 6 (mobile but needs to fill out a bit still), Traore 6 (tidy cameo)

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2020, 07:50:55 PM »
Bit of an odd one. Comfortable thanks to the timings of the goals. Ruthless in attack with the first two. Perfect time to seal the game just after the break and from then on we were second best having come down a gear or two.

I know it's unrealistic to dominate a game for 90 minutes at this level unless you're Man City but during the second half I forgot Hourihane and Luiz were on the pitch for quite a long spell. Would be interested to see Dougie's possession stats and how much he touched the ball. We need more quality in the centre positions to help him, a bit of physical presence that can also pass the ball.

One of those nights for Ollie when nothing came off. I'm sure it will come. His movement is innate and his strong suit which can't be coached. Thankfully decision-making can, he looks the type that might need his confidence propped-up a wee bit too but I'm confident he'll get into his stride.

Didnt think much of the pony-tailed chap in midfield for Fulham recommended by Footy Vill. Sorry mate.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 07:54:27 PM by eamonn »

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2020, 07:51:09 PM »
We've got our Villa back, no criticism of anyone tonight. Shout outs for Konsa and Targett , the latter is learning well.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2020, 07:52:12 PM »
The backtracking and tacking and cutting out of passes was superb.  Not seen the like for years

Trez especially worked his socks off cutting out numerous passes.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2020, 07:52:18 PM »
What a difference having an assured keeper makes. I can really see progress with this team now. Definitely need an extra midfielder and striker, in case of injuries though.

Offline exigo

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2020, 07:52:52 PM »
Special mention to Trez tonight as well. Knows his shirt is at risk with a new signing, and put in a lot of yards tonight, cutting out passes, defending from the front.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2020, 07:52:53 PM »

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2020, 07:52:59 PM »
Defence looking solid. McGinn looking like he’s back too his best. Only worry is Watkins no way is he a 30 million pound striker.

That’s a bonkers conclusion to draw so ridiculously soon.

Offline supertom

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2020, 07:53:30 PM »
Two games you should expect to win and we've won them (4 if you count potentially tricky cup ties we've had). That's a good sign of progress. Two clean sheets today. We targeted Fulhams weaknesses and exploited them well.

There's a zip about us and confidence, but moreover we actually look well organised. Watching Fulham defend brought back painful memories of pre-Covid last season. We were as bad as that. Today we were very well drilled. I think we were fortunate with the VAR decision but that wouldn't have effected the result.

Most pleasing was McGinn looking like McGinniesta again. My only worry on todays display really, is Targett is still prone to reckless challenges and will become a clear target for the opposition. Cash looks more assured on the other flank, and puts in nice deliveries.

Martinez, one mistake aside, was very composed and he produced a fantastic save, so we'll let him off.

I feel sorry for Watkins, he was close to a goal from the Trez cross (and it's that back post position where he's scored from already in the cup), but the goal will come. I thought he did well otherwise, and he's got a good awareness of his teammates too. Also, it's not really his game, but he won a decent amount of headers today, and in that regard seemed to do better than Wesley and Samatta generally did on that front.

4 wins on the spin to take us into a more challenging run. It's a cracking start.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2020, 07:53:56 PM »
The backtracking and tacking and cutting out of passes was superb.  Not seen the like for years

Trez especially worked his socks off cutting out numerous passes.

Yep and you could hear the urgency of instruction from the sideline as well.

Online Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2020, 07:54:03 PM »
Can't complain. When was the last time we beat Fulham at their ground. Before the moon landings?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2020, 07:54:27 PM »
Win on Thursday night and it will have been an excellent start to the season and we can go and have a real crack at Liverpool.

Got a bit sloppy at times, but overall I thought we looked pretty solid and were always a threat going forward.  Thought the work rate was really there tonight and although Watkins is a bit raw, he's the kind nuisance we have needed up front for some time.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2020, 07:54:46 PM »
Can't complain. When was the last time we beat Fulham at their ground. Before the moon landings?

Before the moon was discovered.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2020, 07:54:50 PM »
We've got our Villa back, no criticism of anyone tonight. Shout outs for Konsa and Targett , the latter is learning well.

Are you his Dad? ;)

Offline colin69

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2020, 07:55:26 PM »
Not used to these stress free games.

I said exactly the same thing to my son as we watched it totally stress free. Targett the only weak link tonight imo.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal