collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Rory
[Today at 02:36:36 AM]

Do it thr Frnch way - Lill away by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 02:14:03 AM]

Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:44:12 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by tomd2103
[April 17, 2024, 11:32:24 PM]

Brighton (a) by sonyhill
[April 17, 2024, 11:15:10 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulTheVillan
[April 17, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Teams we'll finish above next season  (Read 44099 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Teams we'll finish above next season
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2020, 02:31:58 PM »
Two from Palace, Newcastle, West Ham and Burnley please. Should mean we're hitting a mid table spot if we can do that. Certainly won't be getting relegated as think WBA and Fulham are nailed on to be the bottom two.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2020, 02:33:22 PM »
We will win the league.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2020, 03:17:54 PM »
Right now I feel we'll be in the relegation mix.  If we make at least 4 very good signings then 13-17th.  I'd like Watkins, as well as another striker and another winger and a solid midfielder at the very least.

Online Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2020, 03:45:23 PM »
Might be a bit premature seeing as we hope our squad will look different in four weeks' time, other teams will be thinking the same I am sure.

Nonetheless the season is only a week away from starting so I have got to thinking where we might finish. Hoping it won't be a struggle again but most sensible approach would be looking at it from the bottom up, who will we be better than.

The newbies

Fulham
Leeds
Albion

One of these will go down, could well be two, maybe all three. It's imperative we use our extra season's experience and finish above all these lot.

My tips to struggle

Palace
Sheff U

Palace finished the season abysmally and could well carry that forward into the new season (like Watford last year). Hodgson is a wily manager but this might be the year they are in a prolonged struggle. Personally I think Sheff U will have second season syndrome and I think they'll go down with two of the promoted teams. Wilder is a genius with what he's done but I think the difference in playing budget will start to tell. So above these two as well.

Relatively comfortable last season, might drop off this season

Brighton
Newcastle

I think last summer I would have been confident of finishing above both these two. Newcastle in particular were a surprise. I think the fallout of another failed takeover might take its toll and hopefully Bruce will produce one of his dire runs to send them plummeting down the league. Brighton are a bit of a nothing team but were never in too much bother last year. I reckon they'll be around 15th/16th again this time. I was wrong last summer about us being better than these but I'll be right this time.

More established teams we can catch

Burnley
Southampton
West Ham

Perhaps a bit generous to West Ham putting them in this bracket given their struggles last season but looking at their squad they really underperformed. Southampton had a great second half of the season and Ings is a quality striker. Burnley are just a really solid team, always do enough to be comfortable. Realistically this is the bracket we should be looking to finish in. One of these lot could easily drop off this season, like West Ham in season just gone, so not inconceivable we can finish above one of them. We'll have done well to finish above all three I think.

"Levels"

Everton
Leicester
Wolves

Would dearly love the wheels to come off for Wolves but I still think they'll be better than us next season. Hopefully not for much longer. I think Leicester might have a hangover from blowing CL last season but again a bit too soon to catch them. James looks a good signing for Everton. Could be a flop but I'd be very pleasantly surprised if we finished above them next season.

Snowball's chance in hell

Man City
Liverpool
Chelsea
Man U
Arsenal
Spurs

Enough said.

So 10th to 13th is plausible. Maybe a bit optimistic in light of lack of transfer activity but I'm hopeful we've got some irons in the fire. The kind of season we'd have been pissed off about a decade or so ago would do just nicely now.

Jack to win player of the year.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2020, 03:46:00 PM »
Last season we were playing every game with 3 players not of PL standard in Midfield and attack. Crucially we never had a PL level centre forward.
So unless that is rectified this window we will go into the next season vulnerable to a relegation campaign.
A slight improvement at RB is not going to do the trick.

Online Edvard Remberg

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2020, 03:48:16 PM »
Last season we were playing every game with 3 players not of PL standard in Midfield and attack. Crucially we never had a PL level centre forward.
So unless that is rectified this window we will go into the next season vulnerable to a relegation campaign.
I feel if we keep Jack and Douglas,  we will do fine.  If not,  we are fucked

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2020, 03:51:57 PM »
same as last season then, he’ll of a gamble.

Online Edvard Remberg

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2020, 03:55:04 PM »
same as last season then, he’ll of a gamble.
Im thinking post covid - we were better. DL was awesome and lifted the team.  Also Konsa lifted his level

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2020, 04:44:00 PM »
I think we will definitely finish above Tesco Bags, Fulham, and Brighton.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2020, 05:06:15 PM »
To me we're in the group from 13th down. I can't see any club above that who's lost players or will decline enough to finish 15 points lower. As it stands we're not much different from last season apart from hopefully having a bit more self-belief and experience. I expect leeds and Newcastle to stay up, so palace, brighton, us, west ham, Fulham, and wba is the group of doom. I'd go for Fulham, wba and west ham to go down.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2020, 09:19:48 PM »
I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess before the transfer window closes, but as things are today, then I don't think we'd be finishing above many teams at all.
The current squad is bottom 6, add a proper centre forward and it’s mid tableish.

Agreed. We also need to cut out the mistakes made for a lot of last season plus learn how to hold on for a win/draw in the latter stages of a game and not Villa it all up like we did a few times in 19-20.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2020, 09:23:19 PM »
As things stand I think I'd go for a couple of places higher.

West Brom will be this season's Norwich, which will be fun. Then I reckon Fulham and West Ham will be the other teams to go. With Brighton and for 'second season syndrome' reasons Sheffield United also in the mix.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2020, 09:40:50 PM »
Without enforcements we are a bottom 6 team. If we defend better as we did in the last few games we are towards the top of that bottom 6. With the right additions we can secure a mid table spot. But it’s going to be very tough.

Offline mike

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2020, 09:41:44 PM »
Given how shit we were last season and were dead and buried until post Covid Bournemouth and Watford made a spirited and determined bid to be even worse allowing us to scrape survival, I can’t see us being above three teams unless we make some very good signings.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2020, 09:42:08 PM »
Can't say at this stage but it will take 3-4 quality signings for progress to be much more than incremental.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal