collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Winning The League. 1981.  (Read 3723 times)

Offline kippaxvilla2

Villa Winning The League. 1981.
« on: September 05, 2020, 12:16:00 AM »
As the link suggest this is footage I have never seen before.  It’s quite incredible.  Hats off to Villa Boy again.  God knows how he gets hold of this material.  Which as far as I know has been hidden for nearly 40 years!

https://youtu.be/YiqL7efT-rM

Offline The Left Side

Re: Villa Winning The League. 1981.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 01:05:42 AM »
Amazing video from Villa Boy, enjoy.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 12:46:54 PM »
Brilliant unseen footage, well done Villa Boy

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 12:52:46 PM »
Never seen that before, any idea who was filming it?  There were a lot of faces I didn't recognise.  Bloke called Bomber seemed popular whoever he is.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 01:41:24 PM »
Well that footage certainly seems to reflect the disorganised and chaotic nature of the day!

We were sat amongst the Arsenal fans near the foot of the North Bank, and they were in no mood to simply stand by and let us enjoy our triumph.  We had bought seats for this game some weeks beforehand, from a bloke my dad knew, having seen how the last day would be likely to play out.  I may be wrong, but I recall that the game was only made an all ticket affair a week or so before the game itself.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 01:43:37 PM »
Well that footage certainly seems to reflect the disorganised and chaotic nature of the day!

We were sat amongst the Arsenal fans near the foot of the North Bank, and they were in no mood to simply stand by and let us enjoy our triumph.  We had bought seats for this game some weeks beforehand, from a bloke my dad knew, having seen how the last day would be likely to play out.  I may be wrong, but I recall that the game was only made an all ticket affair a week or so before the game itself.

The Sunday before. It was, indeed, chaotic.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 02:11:17 PM »
The crush coming out of the ground that day was terrible. Amazing footage, for some reason my Dad allowed me and brother to go on the pitch that day.

Offline dave shelley

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 02:29:45 PM »
As I've posted many times about this, me and my mate did what we never did and that was to leave just before the end.  We avoided the crush and just as we got down the steps at the clock end the roar went up, I thought we'd scored and hung back a bit and asked who'd got it only to be told 'Boro had scored a second!  A surreal day for certain.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 02:34:23 PM »
I’m struggling to work out which is which.  I can’t see the clock easily.  We’re we the ones mostly still in the stands at the end or the ones on the right on the pitch?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 04:51:18 PM by kippaxvilla2 »

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 02:43:25 PM »
I’m struggling to work out which is which.  I can’t see the clock easily.  We’re we the ones mostly still in the stands at the end of the ones on the right on the pitch?

Clock end is to the left

I was on the pitch somewhere at the end taking a bit of turf. I’d forgotten how many fans were on the pitch at the end but do remember random scuffles. Great memories including being v close to Pele as he walked past before the match

With both this and Rotterdam I don’t recall what we did after the game other than being herded onto the coaches and driven away ASAP given the hooliganism at the time. If it happened now I don’t think I’d be sober for a week!

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 05:32:04 PM »
Historic footage.Remember being stuck on the North Circular and worried we'd miss kick-off.Then the madness of the Clock-end- the full spectrum of emotions in a few minutes. Once out of the ground it was Villa everywhere. Thick traffic all the way back and a lovely touch when the coaches got back to Villa Park- the Holte End floodlights were on. We ended up in The New Bell -just beat last orders! One of the great days!

Offline dave shelley

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 05:51:28 PM »
Historic footage.Remember being stuck on the North Circular and worried we'd miss kick-off.Then the madness of the Clock-end- the full spectrum of emotions in a few minutes. Once out of the ground it was Villa everywhere. Thick traffic all the way back and a lovely touch when the coaches got back to Villa Park- the Holte End floodlights were on. We ended up in The New Bell -just beat last orders! One of the great days!

By getting out those few minutes early, we beat all that and coincidently, we too got back to the New Bell and were also back in time to buy the Argus.

One of the things that stick in the memory is stopping at lights on the North Circular and a car full of Arse fans pulling up alongside and gesturing to wind down my window(they knew we were Villa as our scarves were hanging out of the back windows) and I thought here we go but despite that I wound down my window and to my surprise they all started yelling congratulations and how they were delighted we'd won the league as they didn't want Ipswich to win it as they hated them.  Happy days.

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 06:31:58 PM »
 Wow, if I'd known you then Dave I'd have rung ahead to get us a round in! It was touch and go that we'd make it! 😃

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2020, 07:16:32 PM »

By getting out those few minutes early, we beat all that and coincidently, we too got back to the New Bell and were also back in time to buy the Argus.

One of the things that stick in the memory is stopping at lights on the North Circular and a car full of Arse fans pulling up alongside and gesturing to wind down my window(they knew we were Villa as our scarves were hanging out of the back windows) and I thought here we go but despite that I wound down my window and to my surprise they all started yelling congratulations and how they were delighted we'd won the league as they didn't want Ipswich to win it as they hated them.  Happy days.

Gents, do you mean The New Bell at the bottom of Booths Farm Road, Great Barr by any chance?

Offline dave shelley

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2020, 07:37:59 PM »

Gents, do you mean The New Bell at the bottom of Booths Farm Road, Great Barr by any chance?

That's the one.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal