collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 50 years ago  (Read 13215 times)

Offline steamer

Re: 50 years ago
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2020, 06:33:44 AM »
And that night will never be forgotten along with the second Leg at VP

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2020, 10:56:21 AM »
So today it's exactly 50 years to the day since we beat Manchester United 2-1 in the second leg of the League Cup semi-final, to make it through to the final.  23 December 1970 was truly one of the great nights in our history.  I was 10, and the most specific memory of the night that I have is of after the game, and of running along the concourse under the Trinity Road stand with arms aloft, and Dad (bless him) following on.

I'm actually feeling quite emotional today.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2020, 02:40:27 PM »
The greatest night ever at Villa Park.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 02:54:15 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2020, 05:29:06 PM »
Brilliant post! Some great images.

I have a framed shot of Pat McMahon's winner at home.

A memory that will last forever...

Offline GXVilla

« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2020, 06:38:31 PM »
What a night! if I was allowed to relive just one game in nearly 55 years of attending Villa Park, this would be the one.
Never known an atmosphere like it, before or since. Nearly 30k in the Holte alone that night and it rocked. To a 10 year old who was just used to us losing and getting relegated, seeing us beat the Utd of Best, Law and Charlton was magical, topped off with my favourite player Pat McMahon getting the winner.

Charlton, Grandad, that's what we all think of you!! Appropriate at the time but very sad to see him suffering from dementia now.

The night I completely and utterly fell in love with the Villa and the Holte End.

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2020, 06:50:22 PM »
Love those two dressing room photos. The first captures early seventies football perfectly- paper cups, John Dunn celebrating with a bottle of Skol lager and a ciggie, Doug controlling the champers and great to see Fred Turnbull -someone who gave his all for the team. Nice to see Pat Matthews in the other Shot too.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2020, 07:00:07 PM »
Oh what a night...late December back in
Myself and my mate made a beeline straight for the ground after school finished. No idea of time but we had no other intention and no idea that Turnstiles are open or not. It took us about  30 minutes to walk from Nechells Elliott Street to the ground. We had tickets in the Trinity Road Enclosure. Waited an hour and half before they opened up at around 5.30. After going through the turnstiles made our way to the front and stood right behind the benches. It's funny how as a kid you just stand and wait no worries about time or wanting to eat, drink or go to the loo.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2020, 07:13:24 PM »
It doesn't get better than that, remember it as if it were yesterday.

Dunn, Bradley, Aitken, Godfrey, Turnbull, Tiler, McMahon, Gibson, Lochhead, Hamilton and Anderson all heroes that night. The attendance was given as 62,500, but I expect it was more than that. It has to be the greatest ever night at VP.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2020, 07:28:42 PM »
Brilliant post! Some great images.

I have a framed shot of Pat McMahon's winner at home.

A memory that will last forever...

I think that McMahon picture is one of the best Villa photos ever. I may be wrong but it could be John Fitzpatrick (who passed away the other day) who he beats in the air. The Trinity stand at it's very best, the Lion is almost lighting up and he must have jumped a few seconds later from the noise that broke out. The terraced enclosure is absolutely rammed and you can almost picture those at the very back 4 or 5 deep as the terrace levels out craning their necks to see.
There are also the two weirdly shaped shadows of forward and defender almost in combat on the ground itself as they are suspended in mid air a second before the ball hits the net.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2020, 08:58:33 PM »
Thanks for posting.

My first big game at Villa Park and my first time up the Holte - I was agog the whole evening like a young lad out of a comic.

My dad had been off work for 6 months after falling off a ladder on a building site and he kept his promise to get tickets and put me on his shoulders for the game but sometime late on he did say to me that if it went to extra time we’d have to leave as he was in agony. Luckily Pat McMahon came up with the winner. I remember his mate driving us back to the working men’s club he ran in Chase Terrace and I was able to stay up and watch the highlights since it was school holidays. A truly amazing night for an 8 year old and probably the Xmas highlight that year.

Those 11 men were absolute legends in any reckoning of our history. Does anybody have the team from that nigh - looks like Rich and Tyler were in civvies in the above photo.

And I love Wolstenholme simply referring to us as the Villa, like a true connoisseur would do.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2020, 09:13:59 PM »
My best time ever at Villa Park!!!

We were magical that night.
To a 16 year old who had just broken up for Christmas and been to Old Trafford the week before this was simply HEAVEN!

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2020, 09:19:05 PM »
What was the away game like Frank? I know we had a good following there but was it a backs to the wall game?

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2020, 10:01:23 PM »
What was the away game like Frank? I know we had a good following there but was it a backs to the wall game?

No.  We held our own for all of that match, they thought they would steamroller us but they got a fucking rude awakening as they well and truly found out in the second leg.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2020, 10:49:53 PM »
Thanks for posting.

My first big game at Villa Park and my first time up the Holte - I was agog the whole evening like a young lad out of a comic.

My dad had been off work for 6 months after falling off a ladder on a building site and he kept his promise to get tickets and put me on his shoulders for the game but sometime late on he did say to me that if it went to extra time we’d have to leave as he was in agony. Luckily Pat McMahon came up with the winner. I remember his mate driving us back to the working men’s club he ran in Chase Terrace and I was able to stay up and watch the highlights since it was school holidays. A truly amazing night for an 8 year old and probably the Xmas highlight that year.

Those 11 men were absolute legends in any reckoning of our history. Does anybody have the team from that nigh - looks like Rich and Tyler were in civvies in the above photo.

And I love Wolstenholme simply referring to us as the Villa, like a true connoisseur would do.

I've posted the team above Pat

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2020, 08:02:50 AM »
A young Jimmy Rimmer in goal for United before he went on to bigger and better things ten years later.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal