collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Claret & Blue Brum/Midlands  (Read 19417 times)

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

Re: Claret & Blue Brum/Midlands
« Reply #210 on: August 08, 2020, 08:28:35 PM »
The south west from Birmingham to Bristol to Cornwall has huge Villa support.   Probably only beaten by Liverpool now as the ManU fans seem to have evaporated.   

I’ve never met a Wolves fan ever. 

Villa are by far the biggest club between London and the North West of England.

We should be the team mopping up the gloryhunters/casuals from the south and west of Birmingham. 

Offline Aldridge Villa

« Reply #211 on: August 08, 2020, 08:49:19 PM »
At a slight tangent, didn’t bump into too many Villa during my travels in Oz in 1990/91. However did spend a few weeks in Bundaberg QLD picking tomatoes. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I now notice that there is a “Brothers Aston Villa” football team based in Bundaberg , formed in 1967 no less. Anyone shed any detail on the origin of this team and their current well being ? Gutted to think I wandered around “ Bundie” all those years ago proudly wearing my “Mita Copiers” shirt without bumping into a fellow Villain !

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #212 on: August 08, 2020, 09:50:38 PM »
Very south Brum, ie Gloucester

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #213 on: August 09, 2020, 11:15:47 AM »
Budleigh Salterton always struck me as the kind of name that would be played by Terry-Thomas is a film on Boxing Day.

Budleigh Salterton is lovely.  And, dare I say, not a place where one would expect to see a fellow attired in a football top.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #214 on: August 09, 2020, 01:11:10 PM »
Unable to submit a vote in the above poll. Born in Saltley so wouldn't really be able to put it in any of those options. Maybe an inner city option could be added?

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #215 on: August 09, 2020, 01:15:02 PM »
At a slight tangent, didn’t bump into too many Villa during my travels in Oz in 1990/91. However did spend a few weeks in Bundaberg QLD picking tomatoes. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I now notice that there is a “Brothers Aston Villa” football team based in Bundaberg , formed in 1967 no less. Anyone shed any detail on the origin of this team and their current well being ? Gutted to think I wandered around “ Bundie” all those years ago proudly wearing my “Mita Copiers” shirt without bumping into a fellow Villain !

https://www.bavfootball.org.au/about-2/our-history/

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #216 on: August 09, 2020, 05:45:57 PM »
I remember an article in H and V years ago that commented on Villa support in Bristol and the south west and it noted how several streets had names with Villa links.

Offline dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #217 on: August 09, 2020, 07:15:00 PM »
Apart from the glory hunters I think it would be fair to say Villa have the next biggest support in Dorset, Devon and Cornwall. Those you meet actually make the effort to go to games. Stopping at services on the way up to games you see so many Villa fans making the same journey.  Just imagine if we were any good!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #218 on: August 09, 2020, 08:04:53 PM »
There's a newish estate in Northampton that has Holte End, Trinity Road and Ellis way as street names.  All three are right next to each other.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #219 on: August 09, 2020, 08:12:08 PM »
Villa supporters in Italy is amazing, I do know it’s a thread about Villa in Brum, but thought they deserve a mention. Check out the Latin Lions. I had the pleasure of having a beer with one of the Latin Lions recently in Italy. They have the most active supporters club in Italy.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #220 on: August 09, 2020, 09:19:16 PM »
I had a quick look at their website but it's mostly in Italian. As Ian Rush noted it must be "like living in a foreign country" over there.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #221 on: August 09, 2020, 10:07:43 PM »
I'm surprised they don't support one of the top Italian sides like Milan or Barcelona.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #222 on: August 09, 2020, 10:49:11 PM »
Born in Hockley, just off Summer Lane, in a back to back in Rodway Street.
Villa was just what we did. We were already solid claret and blue but Auntie Jessie marrying Frank was definitely icing on the cake.
Moved to Tamworth as part of the Brum slum clearance and Brum overspill.
Mates at school in the 60s were a mix of Villa and that lot with the odd baggy or doghead thrown in. Lots of the lads at school followed Yanited/Leeds but hardly any of them went to games. It was a bit of a badge of honour with me that on a Monday morning I would talk about the game I'd been to, the "trouble" I'd been involved in and the whole away game experience. They talked about watching Match of the Day!
Lived on Castle Vale (more Villa than them) when I taught there (70s), then North Warwickshire (all Villa!),then Stourbridge ( mostly Villa, some Tesco bags, some dogheads).
Now Pershore. More Villa than I expected, 1 Nose, 1 baggy, 1 doghead, everyone else Liverpool! I only know one of them who goes to games - a really dedicated L'pool fan. The rest just watch "the footy" on the telly and pretend to be experts.
Made contact with my old school mates from Tamworth about 6 years ago. Most of the noses are still very gobby but none of them go to games. The Villa fans do!
Speaks volumes!

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #223 on: August 10, 2020, 07:08:23 AM »
I'm surprised they don't support one of the top Italian sides like Milan or Barcelona.

They are nearly all Italian, but for various reasons they are mad about Villa. One guy started watching English football on the TV in the 80s and 90s, went to the San Siro to see V Inter and thought our fans were the best he had ever seen. He spoke passionately about walking along the Trinty Road and seeing the majestic Holte End rise up. It was beautiful ha ha

Offline Allan C

« Reply #224 on: August 10, 2020, 02:19:58 PM »
My dad and his brothers were from Aston originally while my mom was a Black Country girl from Kingswinford. They moved to Kingstanding when it was built up and I was born there. My dad and his brothers were all Villa fans and he took me to my first game in the relegation season to the third division when I was 8.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal