collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Claret & Blue Brum/Midlands  (Read 19407 times)

Offline rob_bridge

Re: Claret & Blue Brum/Midlands
« Reply #180 on: August 05, 2020, 03:08:00 PM »
In my experience the majority of Brummie Red Man Utd fans are of Small Heath origin and moved to Utd because Blues were so bad. Hence the needle between Villa fans and Brummie Reds (at least in the late 80s and early 90s).

Correct. An even sadder and more pathetic bunch one could never meet.

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #181 on: August 05, 2020, 03:25:15 PM »
‘My Dads family are all B’lose so I hate Villa’ has been a conversation stopper for many decades when talking to first Liverpool, then Man U, Chelsea and now City fans. Even if these people are still known to me I have no need to ever discuss footy with them. Although every four years I may go with the old ‘your dad’s an England fan so you support Germany or Brazil I take it?’  Always good for a reminder of their glory hunting status. Some actually do as well!

The only time I've ever been involved in a fight over football was after the England/Brazil game at the 2002 World Cup. I don't follow international football now, but I was a kid back then and was disgusted when walking into school to see the number of lads - all glory hunting plastic twats when it came to domestic football - wearing Brazil shirts, draped in Brazil flags, you name it. A lot of them had spent the previous three years wearing France gear.

We all watched the match in our form room and there was some fierce stick towards us outnumbered lads supporting England, and it all got nasty after Brazil's second and towards FT.

I'm still dismayed by it, to be honest, but it opened my eyes to the psyche of plastics. The lack of loyalty and the extent to which their self-worth is dependent upon the continuing success of a side they have chosen purely on the basis of them being successful. It must be a meaningless, grim and empty existence.

Offline russon

« Reply #182 on: August 06, 2020, 10:44:59 AM »
The Russon roadshow has hit the following towns and cities since inception, fifty years now -

Streetly,Sutton,Aberdeen,Stonehaven,Walsall,Perry Barr,Erdington,Halesowen,Tamworth,Aldridge,Auchenblae,Laurencekirk and now Stonehaven again. I’ve moved 31 times in my life, Villa on tour and no mistake!

I’m often impressed by the number of Villains from Gloucestershire/Forest of Dean kind of area. Ok so we’re the closest big club but they could have plumped for others.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #183 on: August 06, 2020, 02:00:07 PM »
I'm from Walsall originally and I was christened in West Heath.

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #184 on: August 06, 2020, 04:23:36 PM »
I'm from Redditch and lived here all my life.  I would say the blues quota is pushed up here due to the influx of families from South Birmingham in the 70's, as my parents did, but I'd say there is more Villa overall.  It's just bloody annoying that my local (The Oast House) is the home of the Redditch branch of the blues supporters club.

Not many albion or wolves and far too many Liverpool and Man U.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #185 on: August 06, 2020, 09:05:41 PM »
Inspired by the off topic conversation about random Birmingham places, I must confess I find the geography of God's own back garden pretty intriguing. I've been to random islands in Thailand but was in my 30s before I'd heard of Stockland Green.

So I'm penning this thread with a bit of a census in mind to find out what is "ours". Where are you from in Brum or the West Mids, where have you lived and whats the anecdotal split of Villa?

I'll start with Halesowen. Parents live up Lapal way. I'd say Halesowen is a pretty even split between Villa and Albion, with more Stripey Filth towards Cradley.

Quinton I'd say was largely Villa, but with a Nose problem. 60/40 Villa I'd say. Can only remember 2 from Primary School.
There was a bar on Koh Samui that was owned by a Villa fan - you weren’t allowed in if you were a nose.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2020, 10:39:30 PM »
Inspired by the off topic conversation about random Birmingham places, I must confess I find the geography of God's own back garden pretty intriguing. I've been to random islands in Thailand but was in my 30s before I'd heard of Stockland Green.

So I'm penning this thread with a bit of a census in mind to find out what is "ours". Where are you from in Brum or the West Mids, where have you lived and whats the anecdotal split of Villa?

I'll start with Halesowen. Parents live up Lapal way. I'd say Halesowen is a pretty even split between Villa and Albion, with more Stripey Filth towards Cradley.

Quinton I'd say was largely Villa, but with a Nose problem. 60/40 Villa I'd say. Can only remember 2 from Primary School.
There was a bar on Koh Samui that was owned by a Villa fan - you weren’t allowed in if you were a nose.

Do you know who owned it?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2020, 10:41:28 PM »
Ronnie Pickering?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2020, 10:41:47 PM »
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2020, 10:50:36 PM »

On Chaweng Road? Where abouts? Soi Green Mango area?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:52:14 PM by Ads »

Offline TonyD

« Reply #190 on: August 06, 2020, 10:58:41 PM »

Never got his name.  The bar called Fawlty Towers on Chaweng Beach.  Near the Green Mango club.  He had lists of rules on the walls that mostly ended with “unless you are a bluenose”.   I think he was responsible for making most of the island Villa fans. 

I also stumbled on another bar owned by a mad Villa fan on the Cook Islands.  We were told there was a bar about mile inland up in the jungle.  A group of us found it.   Totally surreal.   We came across what we thought was empty bar with music playing only to find that there was about a dozen locals so pissed they had fallen asleep been the benches.  The music was from a gramaphone and then out popped Mr Villa.  He got us utterly shitfaced on the Christmas Beer.   God knows how we made back down the hill.  It had become pitch black and you could barely make out your feet. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 11:03:38 PM by TonyD »

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #191 on: August 06, 2020, 11:01:40 PM »

Never got his name.  The bar called Fawlty Towers on Chaweng Beach.  Near the Green Mango club.  He had lists of rules on the walls that mostly ended with “unless you are a bluenose”.   I think he was responsible for making most of the island Villa fans. 

I also stumbled on another bar owned by a mad Villa fan on the Cook Islands.  We were told there was a bar about mile inland up in the jungle.  A group of us found it.   Totally surreal.   We came across what we thought was empty bar with music playing only to find that there was about a dozen locals so pissed they had fallen asleep been the benches.  The music was from a gramaphone and then out popped Mr Villa.  He got us utterly shitfaced on the Christmas Beer.   God knows how we made back down the hill. 

Was he as broad as he was tall, perfectly friendly and leaving you in no doubt that misbehaviour would likely prove fatal?

Offline TonyD

« Reply #192 on: August 06, 2020, 11:08:30 PM »

I also stumbled on another bar owned by a mad Villa fan on the Cook Islands.  We were told there was a bar about mile inland up in the jungle.  A group of us found it.   Totally surreal.   We came across what we thought was empty bar with music playing only to find that there was about a dozen locals so pissed they had fallen asleep been the benches.  The music was from a gramaphone and then out popped Mr Villa.  He got us utterly shitfaced on the Christmas Beer.   God knows how we made back down the hill. 

Was he as broad as he was tall, perfectly friendly and leaving you in no doubt that misbehaviour would likely prove fatal?
He was a big chap.   Seemed very at ease with his standing in the community.   He organised a football match with the backpackers.   England v The Rest of The World.   We won.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #193 on: August 06, 2020, 11:23:02 PM »
What years we talking?

Offline TonyD

« Reply #194 on: August 07, 2020, 09:13:08 AM »
I was there 94 and 99. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal