collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Claret & Blue Brum/Midlands  (Read 19400 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Claret & Blue Brum/Midlands
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2020, 12:48:38 AM »
Was it Pheasey the 33 went to back in the late 80s/early 90s? Seemed to be a 33 bus every other minute back then.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2020, 12:49:36 AM »
Born Heathfield Road. Have that!

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2020, 01:39:38 AM »
Walsall born and (in) bred.

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2020, 01:48:22 AM »
Born Heathfield Road. Have that!

Although born at the Salvation Army Hospital for Fallen Women which I think was situated in Heathfield Road, lived at 19 Villa Road for the first 7 years of my life before moving to the leafy lanes of Olton, Solihull.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2020, 01:58:27 AM »
I lived on Crompton road, Handsworth before moving to leafy Chelmsley Wood,area 5 in 1969.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2020, 04:34:39 AM »
Nuneaton for me, so from the Shires. Never owned a Range Rover though. At school it was mainly split pretty evenly Villa / Cov / Redshirts. Never saw a blues or Albion shirt once.
When we went down in 87 I went to a lot of the Villa matches on the Lloyds bus, which was usually pretty full. There was also the Wainfleet that would go to Leicester and was always less full. First time I saw a baggies shirt was when I worked at a pub in town around 1990. Big fat lad called Beanie. First blues shirts I saw would’ve been early 2000’s after Nuneaton had gone downhill a bit (!).

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2020, 04:57:45 AM »
Kings Norton, Longbridge as a kid, Redditch through teens until 22 - then London (Croydon, Bermondsey).  Redditch back in the 80's/90's was either Villa or assorted red shirts with the odd stripey, hardly any Blues at all really. Early 90's Blues emerged more but still outnumbered by the Villa fairly comfortably in my experience.  I'd say after the Villa the next best supported were the usual assorted red shirted glory hunters unfortunately. Lived in a Palace area down the smoke so Palace or Chelsea mainly. Oz for 15 years and it's all utterly clueless Liverpool fans depressingly.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2020, 06:01:14 AM »
From East London, lived in Chasetown in the mid seventies and then back to London after two years.
Now reside in Lincoln, just outside Christchurch in New Zealand.

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2020, 07:15:30 AM »
Yardley/AG in the 70s. Pretty mixed but I have a theory that the closer you lived to a number 11 bus stop, the more likely you were to be a Villa fan.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2020, 08:43:31 AM »
Born and brought up in Shirley / Hall Green / Solihull.
Surrounded by them; but with a significant influence from the Elmdon Reds who used to drink the Solihull pubs I frequented. Reasonable Villa presence from Knowle / Dorridge (Ken Spires being one) and they would certainly see off both Bluenoses and Manure at local pubs and 'discos' (as they were called back in the 70's)
I found out about 15 years' ago that my father's family heralded from the Aston area. in the mid 1800's we apparently owned 3-4 pubs - one in Ladywood called "The Why Not"; another, "The Quinton Arms" - and my great-grandfather got married at Aston Church. A distant cousin of my father got to play for the Villa in the mid-to-late '50's - Billy Evans.
None this influenced my supportership of the club: that came from my best mate's dad bringing us to VP in 1967 to see Villa lose 4-2 to Everton sealing our relegation; didn't matter, I was hooked from the get-go.
At the other end of the spectrum, my son is a born-and-bred Yorkshire lad ... and is 100% Villa.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2020, 08:52:46 AM »
Was it Pheasey the 33 went to back in the late 80s/early 90s? Seemed to be a 33 bus every other minute back then.

Yes, I was born and bred in Pheasey which was probably 80-90% Villa in the 80s and 90s. You’d get a few Albion over the other end of Great Barr, beyond the Scott Arms. There were a few Noses, especially in the Old Horns or Cat and Fiddle.

I’ve lived in Knowle for 12 years now where I’d say Villa outnumber Blues however there’s not a huge majority for any one team as you get a lot of people who have moved to the area from elsewhere, meaning I know Spurs, Aberdeen, Sheffield Wednesday fans etc plus the usual smatterings of glory hunters.

Solihull itself possibly has more Blues than Villa however if you’d seen the size of the queues at Solihull station when we’re at Wembley then you’d realise how well represented Villa are.

I see more Villa players in Knowle and Dorridge than Albion or Wolves fans.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 08:55:19 AM by Marlon From Bearwood »

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2020, 09:09:48 AM »
West Bromwich in the seventies/eighties was as you'd imagine, a hotbed of Stripey injustice, and growing up there could have given any right-thinking and fully-functioning human deep psychological scars. Luckily I was left with no feelings of bitterness or resentment.

There were no Wolves or Small Heath around and I got to know a handful of Villa in Tipton - no more than half a dozen of us would be waiting for the 74 after the match. Then by about 1994 we suddenly had a claret & blue explosion and you'd see as many Villa as that lot. It didn't last long but apparently there's still a few of us there now.

Offline Luffbralion

« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2020, 09:34:28 AM »
Yardley/AG in the 70s. Pretty mixed but I have a theory that the closer you lived to a number 11 bus stop, the more likely you were to be a Villa fan.
Lived in Sheldon near the Coventry Road in the 1960s. Started going to alternate games at age 9 and my Mom wanted me to go to the dark side with the big boys over the road as it only involved one bus. My Dad had seen our 1957 cup run and told me we were, and always would be, the bigger club and the die was cast, mercifully. Consequently it was a bit of a walk up to the Swan in Yardley but then so many happy days on the outer circle route.
The lad I used to go with (r.i.p.) even bought me a model of the Number 11 for my 50th with the headboard proudly announcing Witton as its destination. So many great memories. And thank you, Dad!

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2020, 09:41:03 AM »

Yes, they changed the 33 bus route around that time to include the Pheasey Estate. Prior to that the bus terminated on Finchley Rd, Kingstanding.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2020, 09:47:01 AM »
Born London and lived various places, went to school in Slough  where rugger was the thing. Lots of Chelsea, I was the only Villa.
Then St Andrews Scotland, met a nice chick, got married and spent some time in Anglesey, mainly populated by sheep and red Scouse. Never saw a blose or Stripy shirt until I was in my twenties.
VTID, SOTC, UTV.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal