collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why are Aston Villa so unpopular with neutrals?  (Read 12541 times)

Offline Skerra

Re: Why are Aston Villa so unpopular with neutrals?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2020, 07:02:32 PM »
I think that it’s because, going forward, we are able to strengthen our team and, become a force to be reckoned with in a few years time. I’ve said all the way along that if we could stay in this division this season, then we will go from strength to strength. It wasn’t looking possible a couple of weeks ago but, having pulled off a minor miracle, we should all be looking for much better times for us to come. Don’t look back in anger says Sweet Caroline!!

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 07:03:06 PM »
I think we are a bit marmite. We invoke a reaction, whereas most people don’t give 2 flying fucks about most clubs. Who do you support?
Answer -Wolves
Going anywhere nice on your holidays?

Offline steamer

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 07:05:03 PM »
Most Neutrals I have ever met from outside the Midlands have never had a bad word to say about us.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 07:05:22 PM »
I would rather be unliked by the opposition , which in itself is a concession that they know we are about.

unlike say Crystal palace:)

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 07:10:16 PM »
You shouldn't give it a moment's thought.  In my experience, having lived in a few areas in this country away from the West Midlands, the football fans of other clubs that I have encountered as friends, acquaintances, colleagues or just 'people on our way through', have overwhelmingly expressed a high regard for the Villa.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 07:12:21 PM by Flamingo Lane »

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2020, 07:23:23 PM »
Who do you hate the most - Liverpool or Tranmere, Manchester United or Stockport, Arsenal or Barnet? 

Exactly.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 07:25:32 PM »
Why - because it's funny to see big clubs struggle - we've all took the p*ss out Leeds, Sunderland, Everton and Newcastle when they've been struggling - it's because they are relevant and have a presence.

I have family in Stoke - and even Vale fans like to have a dig at us... that's the impact and reach we have.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2020, 07:39:03 PM »
Outside of a couple of London Clubs, the two Manchester clubs and that red mob who play in Merseyside we are one of the biggest clubs in the country so fans of other clubs took great delight in our perceived downfall. They’d have sided with the underdogs last weekend so were upset when The Famous Aston Villa didn’t go down.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2020, 07:39:51 PM »
Why - because it's funny to see big clubs struggle - we've all took the p*ss out Leeds, Sunderland, Everton and Newcastle when they've been struggling - it's because they are relevant and have a presence.

I think that's basically it.  Until recently we were an ever present for the Premier League era, which much as we don't like to admit it is all anybody under the age of 40 or so is going to remember, and most fans of the big clubs hate all the other big clubs. I know I do.

Other than their traiditional local rivalries, does anybody give much of a toss about the likes of Norwich or Bournemouth?

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2020, 07:42:03 PM »
The vitriol has surprised me a bit. I think a lot of fans have got it into their heads that the hawkeye thing is akin to west ham cheating their way to survival, which it obviously isn’t, but then a lot of fans are thick as shit.

I always used to think we were a relatively likeable, at least inoffensive, team for neutrals. But I now suspect that’s just something a lot of fans mistakenly believe about their own team.

For what it’s worth I get a fair few up the villas and no aggro down here when I’m running in my shirt.

Offline themossman

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2020, 07:47:00 PM »
Also, it’s so easy to find reasons to resent other teams the law of averages says you’ll eventually hate and be hated by all other teams especially if you throw in a relegation or 2.

Look at barcodes and Bristol city as two examples of teams who hate us with a passion for laughably flimsy reasons.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2020, 07:48:36 PM »
If it bothers you what other fans think, you should take up Morris Dancing.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2020, 07:50:56 PM »
The vitriol has surprised me a bit. I think a lot of fans have got it into their heads that the hawkeye thing is akin to west ham cheating their way to survival, which it obviously isn’t, but then a lot of fans are thick as shit.

I always used to think we were a relatively likeable, at least inoffensive, team for neutrals. But I now suspect that’s just something a lot of fans mistakenly believe about their own team.

For what it’s worth I get a fair few up the villas and no aggro down here when I’m running in my shirt.

That's the flip side - you'll find Villa fans everywhere. Loads in London when I worked there, on my travels bump into fellow Villans all the time.  Look at the viewing figures and attendances for our Championship games.

Offline themossman

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2020, 07:51:19 PM »
My Morris dancing troupe is consumed with hatred for our local Morris dancing rivals.

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2020, 07:52:59 PM »
anyone who has a good football knowledge doesn't hate us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal