collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Deadline Day  (Read 5511 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Deadline Day
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2020, 10:43:57 AM »
The  tie break rules are:
1 - Goal difference
2 - Goals Scored
3 - Head-To-Head
4 - Play-Off
Thank God it won't go to Head to Head!!!

Are you ruling out a 1-0 Villa victory combined with a 7-5 Watford win?

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2020, 10:55:08 AM »
I'm sticking to my original prediction as its working out so far. We'll get a draw which will knock Bournemouth out of the equation. I think Watford have had the stuffing knocked out of them by the Pearson sacking so that should be enough to clinch it.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2020, 11:01:59 AM »
I've spent the entirety of restart being calmly 'guided by the maths', we've never been adrift, always tantalisingly within safety, those around us largely as calamitous as ourselves. But now we've finally dragged ourselves out of the bottom three, I'm terrified! I really need manure to batter the spammers tonight, sufficiently so that it's in our own hands, however unlikely that remains. I honestly don't think I'll be able to watch us on Sunday, I'll have to watch Bournemouth and Watford instead.

West Ham are surely out of the equation completely whatever happens?  They've got a +13 goal goal difference on us, so would need to lose 7-0 to Man U, then 3-0 to us.  Even then, they've scored more goals than us, so we'd actually need 4.

I'm praying for more than seven! Eight minimum, that at least gives us the tiny chance that if we somehow score just a meagre 3 for only the second time all season, and btw what a fucking shit stat that is, it's out of others' hands.

Granted, it's pretty fanciful stuff, but these are desperate times!

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2020, 11:47:08 AM »
With all the talk about how much opposition teams will "be on the beach" having nothing to play for, here is the ultimate ridiculous theory I have managed to conjure up.

As we won last night, this now means the following...

Westham are not 100% safe assuming they lose at Man U, therefore will still be up for it and beat us.

Arsenal now are unable to qualify for Europe via the league due to us beating them, therefore they will be on the beach leaguewise and Watford get a result.

Result..Relegation

What we actually needed to do was lose narrowly last night to be in the following situation.

Our defeat would have guaranteed Westham safety and they would have been on the beach, therefore we would go down there and beat them easily.

Arsenal beating us would have kept them in with a chance of Europe via the league, therefore they would be up for it and beat Watford convincingly. 

Result....Staying up

Conclusion...Due to Smiths game plan, inspiring the players , tactics, and substitutions last nights victory is a complete disaster and we should outwatford Watford by sacking him today and appointing Nigel Pearson for the final game. Better still call for Fat Sam.  ;)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 11:49:13 AM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2020, 11:52:27 AM »
With all the talk about how much opposition teams will "be on the beach" having nothing to play for, here is the ultimate ridiculous theory I have managed to conjure up.

As we won last night, this now means the following...

Westham are not 100% safe assuming they lose at Man U, therefore will still be up for it and beat us.

Arsenal now are unable to qualify for Europe via the league due to us beating them, therefore they will be on the beach leaguewise and Watford get a result.

Result..Relegation

What we actually needed to do was lose narrowly last night to be in the following situation.

Our defeat would have guaranteed Westham safety and they would have been on the beach, therefore we would go down there and beat them easily.

Arsenal beating us would have kept them in with a chance of Europe via the league, therefore they would be up for it and beat Watford convincingly. 

Result....Staying up

Conclusion...Due to Smiths game plan, inspiring the players , tactics, and substitutions last nights victory is a complete disaster and we should outwatford Watford by sacking him today and appointing Nigel Pearson for the final game. Better still call for Fat Sam.  ;)

What if west spam don’t lose tonight i.e. draw, surely that might work in our favour

Online Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2020, 11:56:50 AM »
Indeed, I'm keeping everything crossed that West Ham get something from their game with Manure and Sunday becomes a dead rubber to them.    I think mentally it is already, but it would be nice if they were 100% safe and thinking about their holidays.

It feels very strange to know that if Everton and Arsenal win, we could lose and still stay up.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2020, 12:01:47 PM »
I really can't see Man U blowing a CL place. That would probably do for OGS if they failed with all their sponsorships payments dependant on CL football. No way they're not gonna hammer the hammers :0(

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2020, 12:05:52 PM »

It feels very strange to know that if Everton and Arsenal win, we could lose and still stay up.

We've lost a game and won a league before now.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2020, 12:08:47 PM »
Not to tempt fate or anything, but Bournemouth and/or Watford might not have their Bosko Jankovic yet.

Offline Marton

• GM : 17.10.2016
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2020, 12:20:22 PM »
Just one more push and get a result against West Ham please... save us from a decade of trying to climb out of that Championship dredge.

Do not count on Arsenal or Everton to do the job for us.

Especially Arsenal is in danger of reverting back to sulking over a pretty bad season for them ... they only show up for the cup now.
When was the last time they didn't even manage a shot of target against Villa? Has it ever happend?

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2020, 12:20:37 PM »

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2020, 12:23:04 PM »
West Ham away is going to be very hard indeed. I don't think Watford will win and Arsenal after they waved the white flag by sacking Pearson and that display yesterday. But Bournemouth can win at Goodison. It's ot over by a long way but I fancy us to draw, them to beat Everton and Watford to lose. And all of us to die a little every minute of those final few as West Ham push us back to the final whistle.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2020, 12:26:45 PM »
It's little things about Watford which give you the feeling that they might just be done. Deeney's thousand yard stare on the bench yesterday; Foster saying their confidence is crazy low. It does only take a freak incident to turn all of that around, but God, you'd much rather be where we are.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2020, 12:31:13 PM »

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2020, 12:34:58 PM »
West Ham away is going to be very hard indeed. I don't think Watford will win and Arsenal after they waved the white flag by sacking Pearson and that display yesterday. But Bournemouth can win at Goodison. It's ot over by a long way but I fancy us to draw, them to beat Everton and Watford to lose. And all of us to die a little every minute of those final few as West Ham push us back to the final whistle.

Not as hard as it used to be, National Front Bulldog sellers, showers of coins raining down on the away end, the walk along Green Street, don’t miss that one bit.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal