collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 03:14:39 AM]

Champions League Contention by Rory
[Today at 03:07:22 AM]

Diego Carlos by VillaTim
[Today at 03:06:47 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by darren woolley
[Today at 02:45:39 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by darren woolley
[Today at 02:41:31 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by KevinGage
[Today at 01:57:17 AM]

Robin Olsen by colin69
[Today at 01:29:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:22:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Liverpool vs Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 14768 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Liverpool vs Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2020, 06:50:35 PM »
Last season was too early for us to get promoted. We needed the extra season to rebuild, gain understanding and develop.
I don't buy that I'm afraid.  The only thing to do in that division is get the fuck out of it as quickly as possible.  I don't buy the assumption we'd have come up the following season, almost certainly without at least one of our best players.   As it was we only finished 5th.

We got promoted, it was up to the management team to sort out our problems and they didn't.  They didn't solve any in January either.
agree Hilts, this we went up too early, ahead of schedule is complete bollocks. We had the resources to do what was necessary, get /retain some experience and get a decent centre forward in. How many teams come up with SJM Jack Mings ?
Our recruitment was lacking and our Manager has exacerbated the problem by being useless at game management.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2020, 06:51:01 PM »
If you want as vision of supporting Aston Villa, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

and that's on a good day...

Offline The_ads

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2020, 06:54:51 PM »
Last season was too early for us to get promoted. We needed the extra season to rebuild, gain understanding and develop.
I don't buy that I'm afraid.  The only thing to do in that division is get the fuck out of it as quickly as possible.  I don't buy the assumption we'd have come up the following season, almost certainly without at least one of our best players.   As it was we only finished 5th.

We got promoted, it was up to the management team to sort out our problems and they didn't.  They didn't solve any in January either.
agree Hilts, this we went up too early, ahead of schedule is complete bollocks. We had the resources to do what was necessary, get /retain some experience and get a decent centre forward in. How many teams come up with SJM Jack Mings ?
Our recruitment was lacking and our Manager has exacerbated the problem by being useless at game management.

I think the only defence on the game management theory is the options off the  bench are piss poor. I perhaps would have hooked Trez  at half time and replaced with Samatta, bar that there aren’t a lot of inspiring names

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2020, 06:55:01 PM »
Fuck me, old Souness is no fan of our Jack is he?!

Offline The_ads

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2020, 06:56:54 PM »

I think he’s spot on. I think he’s been average since restart. £75m looking a lot of money

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2020, 06:58:54 PM »
Was Nyland injured, or did we fancy giving Reina a day out to throw a goal in?

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2020, 06:59:36 PM »
Expected to lose. We weren't atrocious. The worst thing is watching two old Brummie Red school pals on Facebook giving it the casual: "3 points is 3 points. The spark needs to be reignited though. Definitely need Bobby on from the start too."

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2020, 07:01:00 PM »
So have we had a post-match from Dean yet?

Offline django

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2020, 07:02:07 PM »
I can't agree with all those slating Davis. It's highly likely that he's not going to be Premier league quality, most players aren't, but its almost impossible to judge him from the lack of service he gets.

He's 22 barely played cos of injuries and is not only leading the line on his own, he's playing miles away from our two wingers, neither of whom have pace or tricks, or an ability to put in one decent cross towards him each game. Our midfield is rarely involved in an attacking sense, our set pieces are woeful and our fullbacks don't overlap and get forward. And they're all out of form too.

He may be shit but I don't know how anyone could look good in this side. I think he does well to retain possession quite often and he allows his teammates to lumber up the field in his general direction more than when Samatta plays.

He's far from our biggest problem.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2020, 07:02:17 PM »

I agree with him on this at least. He's a quality player for sure but since the restart what has he done to warrant the attention he gets and talk of a £75 million move?

He needs to influence a game way more than he has been doing, way more..

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2020, 07:02:21 PM »
A better performance than expected, but they still didn't have to break into a sweat to beat us.  That's 2 points and no wins from 5 games now after the restart, and two goals scored.  Not nearly good enough, Dismal Dean out!

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2020, 07:02:37 PM »
I can't fathom why Smith persists with Trezeguet when he offers less than nothing.  I'd honestly rather we start with 10 men than play him, but then I suppose we effectively are.  Or preferably give Inidiana a start, or play AEM wide right for his crossing.  Neither could possibly be any less effective.

How did we manage to do a swap deal for Gary Gardner and still come off worse in the deal? 

Also can't fathom why Guilbert or AEM aren't playing at RB if they are fit enough for the bench.  At least with the latter we'd have a decent crosser in the side.

Limited personnel or not Smith doesn't do him self any favours.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2020, 07:06:30 PM »
Expected to lose. We weren't atrocious. The worst thing is watching two old Brummie Red school pals on Facebook giving it the casual: "3 points is 3 points. The spark needs to be reignited though. Definitely need Bobby on from the start too."

30 years of hurt guy? I don't know how you cope.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2020, 07:06:55 PM »
Aston Villa manager Dean Smith: "I'm disappointed. I don't want to be a valiant loser, we're scrapping for points. To out-shoot Liverpool at home at Anfield, in terms of efforts on goal, it's excellent - but need to take our opportunities. We never found the quality in the final third they did.

"Was it the best time to come to Anfield? Jurgen Klopp teams don't take their foot off the gas, I don't thank him [Klopp] for bringing the three subs on, that strengthened them but we were in the game the whole way through. Unfortunately they beat our press with their quality in the end.

"It's a tough task but we're still in it that's for sure. Our performances since the restart haven't got the results they deserved. We have got to make the most of our chances. We need to keep the belief in the dressing room, it's some achievement to come here and play as we did but we have to maintain the belief. I thought we more than matched them."

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2020, 07:09:10 PM »
I can't agree with all those slating Davis. It's highly likely that he's not going to be Premier league quality, most players aren't, but its almost impossible to judge him from the lack of service he gets.

He's 22 barely played cos of injuries and is not only leading the line on his own, he's playing miles away from our two wingers, neither of whom have pace or tricks, or an ability to put in one decent cross towards him each game. Our midfield is rarely involved in an attacking sense, our set pieces are woeful and our fullbacks don't overlap and get forward. And they're all out of form too.

He may be shit but I don't know how anyone could look good in this side. I think he does well to retain possession quite often and he allows his teammates to lumber up the field in his general direction more than when Samatta plays.

He's far from our biggest problem.

Completely agree with this. The kids has no one near him when he does win the ball. Judging after a handful of games in a struggling side seems beyond harsh.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal