collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 09:24:30 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 09:24:15 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 09:24:15 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 09:23:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Edvard Remberg
[Today at 09:23:31 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 09:22:41 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Pete3206
[Today at 09:22:04 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread  (Read 22339 times)

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2020, 03:32:50 PM »
I was clinging on some straws that teams playing their second game would be fitter however Arsenal defeat yesterday and Newcastle  winning ATM has destroyed that notion.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2020, 03:35:45 PM »
I was clinging on some straws that teams playing their second game would be fitter however Arsenal defeat yesterday and Newcastle  winning ATM has destroyed that notion.

I wouldn't worry too much about either of those, Arsenal look like they just can't be bothered with the games and Sheff U were fine unitl they lost Egan but now they're playing a back 4 with players who are used to playing in a 5 and there's big gaps all over the place.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2020, 03:37:36 PM »
That’s Samatta off to score goals elsewhere then

Why, just because he is on the bench?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2020, 03:38:57 PM »
Can’t see past a heavy defeat. 1-4.
I was thinking the very same.

I'm just hoping it's not a cricket score. Need a big step up from Wednesday.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2020, 03:41:17 PM »
Inevitably the same team.
And bench I think !

all so predicatable. Lampard likely knew what out team would be on Wednesday and that injuries aside we won't make a sub today until the 65th minute.

If he had made four changes he would be getting slaughtered by the "doesn't know his best team" moaners. We were generally alright, but lacking a bit of spark on Wednesday. No reason whatsoever to make wholesale changes or be whinging before a ball is kicked if we didn't make changes for the sake of it.

I can see the pros and cons really. Makes sense to keep the same backline given we finally kept a clean sheet. However I'd have left McGinn out for this one and put in Nakamba. Saved SJM for Newcastle as he really struggled to get into the game on Wednesday so think at this point he can be more effective off the bench.

Probably will be at 70th minute mark. We need to be winning.

We don't have a good enough squad to pick and choose who we play our best players against. If McGinn and Grealish are fit, they start, imo.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2020, 03:42:20 PM »
Can’t see past a heavy defeat. 1-4.
I was thinking the very same.

I really can't see the 11 they've started with coming close to anything like that scoreline. Chelsea really don't score many away goals. It does look like a game however where the 5 subs could make huge difference as their bench is in a different league to what we have as options.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2020, 03:44:14 PM »
Inevitably the same team.
And bench I think !

all so predicatable. Lampard likely knew what out team would be on Wednesday and that injuries aside we won't make a sub today until the 65th minute.

If he had made four changes he would be getting slaughtered by the "doesn't know his best team" moaners. We were generally alright, but lacking a bit of spark on Wednesday. No reason whatsoever to make wholesale changes or be whinging before a ball is kicked if we didn't make changes for the sake of it.

I can see the pros and cons really. Makes sense to keep the same backline given we finally kept a clean sheet. However I'd have left McGinn out for this one and put in Nakamba. Saved SJM for Newcastle as he really struggled to get into the game on Wednesday so think at this point he can be more effective off the bench.

Probably will be at 70th minute mark. We need to be winning.

And we don’t need wholesale changes. I thought Konsa was ineffective at RB. Much rather see Guilbert who was training and appears to be fit or Elmo. More balance. And play Samatta instead of AEG. But what’s maddening is that Dean Smith will play the same way. We’ve seen it all season. And we will lump the ball up to KD all game and a top side like Chelsea will hit us on the counter if he can’t make it stick and bring other players into the game

Guilbert and Elmo are both more attacking and less likely to start against an established top side like Chelsea. There is no evidence that Samatta will make a winger, they're too good to experiment against, and we need someone who will track back against these. Samatta for KD is the only change I'd have considered, but no harm in having him available to bring on if we need him.

I think you would be moaning whatever team we put out. Sticking with a team that played well is hardly the most controversial tactic.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2020, 03:48:38 PM »
Dropping El Ghazi and bringing in Samatta seems the obvious change.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2020, 03:49:23 PM »
I really, really cannot understand why Smith persistently uses probably the most gifted central midfield play in the league where opposition managers would want to see him... out chalking his boots on the left touchline.

Bloody clueless.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2020, 03:49:45 PM »
I get why he has gone for the same team, it does rather confirm the suggestion that Smith is a very cautions limited manager.
Let’s hope it works.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2020, 03:50:56 PM »
I really, really cannot understand why Smith persistently uses probably the most gifted central midfield play in the league where opposition managers would want to see him... out chalking his boots on the left touchline.

Bloody clueless.
I doubt many managers would deploy Grealish out wide.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2020, 03:53:14 PM »

Bloody clueless.
I think that was the point of Lam's post.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2020, 03:53:36 PM »
If anybody wants to kindly send me an alternative to hesgoals I'd greatly appreciate the gesture.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2020, 03:54:52 PM »

Bloody clueless.
I think that was the point of Lam's post.
That’s why I was agreeing with him. Is that not allowed?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2020, 03:55:34 PM »
Guilbert and Elmo are both more attacking and less likely to start against an established top side like Chelsea. There is no evidence that Samatta will make a winger, they're too good to experiment against, and we need someone who will track back against these. Samatta for KD is the only change I'd have considered, but no harm in having him available to bring on if we need him.

I think you would be moaning whatever team we put out. Sticking with a team that played well is hardly the most controversial tactic.

Without wanting this to turn into a 'better fan than yow' style argument I do think some people have decided Smith is done and therefore they are hyper critical of him regardless of what he does. I don't mean that as a criticism because it's exactly where I was with Bruce for most of the time he was here so I totally understand it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal