collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 872985 times)

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #9330 on: October 19, 2020, 11:14:39 AM »
I hope you're both right.

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #9331 on: October 19, 2020, 01:14:55 PM »
Maybe Dean wants to see how the team/squad looks before bringing anyone else in.
Or balancing the books!

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #9332 on: October 19, 2020, 01:38:27 PM »
From what I can make out Davis only just missed out and will probably be fit for Friday so for now it doesn't seem to be anything we need to worry about. Wesley is pretty much back training now so we're looking at 8-10 games where we need cover so, for me, it's not a topic worth getting too worked up over, I think we'll be fine.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #9333 on: October 19, 2020, 01:43:52 PM »
I thought Wesley was still months away. That's good news if he's already back training.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #9334 on: October 19, 2020, 02:14:01 PM »
From what I can make out Davis only just missed out and will probably be fit for Friday so for now it doesn't seem to be anything we need to worry about. Wesley is pretty much back training now so we're looking at 8-10 games where we need cover so, for me, it's not a topic worth getting too worked up over, I think we'll be fine.

It's only fine though, if you think that either Davis or Wesley could come in and do a job.  I don't think either of them are suited to the new look quick and expansive Aston Villa.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #9335 on: October 19, 2020, 02:15:24 PM »

It's only fine though, if you think that either Davis or Wesley could come in and do a job.  I don't think either of them are suited to the new look quick and expansive Aston Villa.

ok but I would have been thinking the same about trez , but look at him

Offline paul_e

« Reply #9336 on: October 19, 2020, 02:29:20 PM »

You've written off other players who are doing well now and wanted Smith sacked. I'm not having a dig with that, just pointing out that judging either of them on how they did when the squad looked a bit all over the palce and we were struggling isn't all that relevant because we're in a very different place now.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #9337 on: October 19, 2020, 02:44:41 PM »

You've written off other players who are doing well now and wanted Smith sacked. I'm not having a dig with that, just pointing out that judging either of them on how they did when the squad looked a bit all over the palce and we were struggling isn't all that relevant because we're in a very different place now.

The enforced break might have saved Dean Smith's career. Fair play to him for taking a good long hard look in the mirror and changing things drastically. Doesn't mean that he shouldn't have deserved the criticism. It's all turned out great and we are all happy about it. Including everyone who was critical of him.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #9338 on: October 19, 2020, 02:49:00 PM »

The enforced break might have saved Dean Smith's career. Fair play to him for taking a good long hard look in the mirror and changing things drastically. Doesn't mean that he shouldn't have deserved the criticism. It's all turned out great and we are all happy about it. Including everyone who was critical of him.

yep I think we were all worried in March I know i was and thinking how do we change this !!?

Offline paul_e

« Reply #9339 on: October 19, 2020, 03:01:32 PM »

Yeah, you've completely missed my point, I even said it wasn't meant as a dig so that wouldn't happen. My point was players who have been fit all through that time, and who were seeing similar criticism to Wesley, (for example Trez, Luiz and Targett) are now showing they have learned and adapted to become much better players. The same goes for Smith and the coaching team who are setting us up much better now. I personally see no reason why we shouldn't give Wesley that same chance to show he can improve. We signed very young players last summer clearly hoping they'd improve, we shouldn't write them off without letting them have a chance to.

Davis, on the other hand, has never played for us in a team that's getting men forward like we have the last few games so I'd like to see what he can bring now before assuming he's rubbish. Smith clearly rates him and given he sees a lot more of him than we do I'm going to trust his judgement. If Davis comes in and proves that wrong by looking out of place then it's a handful of games before we can look at addressing that.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #9340 on: October 19, 2020, 03:27:42 PM »
I haven't missed the point at all. If you're not having a dig then why point out he said it? It's like saying "no offence mate" when that's what it comes across as.

And my point was very specific to Dean Smith and not the players. I stand by that there is an element of good fortune (I'm not calling Covid itself good fortune) that we had the break and it allowed us to reassess things. As it was after Leicester we were headed towards relegation with little to stop it.

Offline garyellis

« Reply #9341 on: October 19, 2020, 03:37:18 PM »
I haven't missed the point at all. If you're not having a dig then why point out he said it? It's like saying "no offence mate" when that's what it comes across as.

And my point was very specific to Dean Smith and not the players. I stand by that there is an element of good fortune (I'm not calling Covid itself good fortune) that we had the break and it allowed us to reassess things. As it was after Leicester we were headed towards relegation with little to stop it.
Come on lads lets enjoy this it's special. I was dreading relegation after Leicester in March and no doubt the break let us regroup. But with football like most things sometimes you just need a bit of good fortune and then make the most of it. (Totally agree about Covid it just happened to cut in when it did)

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #9342 on: October 19, 2020, 03:41:32 PM »
Deleted. Wrong thread

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #9343 on: October 19, 2020, 03:43:57 PM »
Wez scored in 1 of his first 4 PL games, so has Ollie. 50m wasted right there.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #9344 on: October 19, 2020, 03:59:39 PM »

On the other hand, fancy saying this about Ross Barkley:

"I don't understand what people think Barkley would bring to improve us, for me he's one of the most overrated players in the league."  Not having a dig, no offence, etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal