collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 10:49:11 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by AV84
[Today at 10:36:29 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 10:32:50 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by AV84
[Today at 10:31:25 AM]

Championship Memories by Mellin
[Today at 10:14:25 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Ads
[Today at 09:59:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:42:20 AM]

FA Cup replays scrapped by tomd2103
[Today at 09:31:13 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 873282 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #7560 on: September 22, 2020, 04:04:11 PM »
Milner appeared in 22 Premier league games last season and plenty of cup games too. He has begun to be a bit part player at Liverpool but I reckon he has at least one more good season in him.

Offline danno

« Reply #7561 on: September 22, 2020, 04:04:36 PM »
Oh definitely. a one year deal etc would be fine.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #7562 on: September 22, 2020, 04:10:04 PM »
Would love him back......for the fourth time?

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #7563 on: September 22, 2020, 04:10:53 PM »
Yesterday is a perfect example of why we need someone like Milner in the squad. McGinn, by all accounts, did not have a stellar game and Douglas was left with the responsibility of protecting the back four. Being able to take McGinn off and put a disciplined+experienced player like James Milner in that spot would do a world of good when protecting leads.

I don't see it happening, but it'd be nice.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #7564 on: September 22, 2020, 04:12:45 PM »
Yesterday is a perfect example of why we need someone like Milner in the squad. McGinn, by all accounts, did not have a stellar game and Douglas was left with the responsibility of protecting the back four. Being able to take McGinn off and put a disciplined+experienced player like James Milner in that spot would do a world of good when protecting leads.

I don't see it happening, but it'd be nice.

Spot on, it is why I was happy with the McCarthy link from Palace too, nowhere near as good but gives a solid, hard working midfielder. Palace have played him in both games though so doubt that is happening. Type we need though.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #7565 on: September 22, 2020, 04:12:55 PM »
We can but dream. Unfortunately in the unlikely event of him going anywhere it would be back to dirty Leeds. He is a Horsforth lad.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #7566 on: September 22, 2020, 04:24:20 PM »
Miller - is that the unexpected shock signing we've been promised? I'd take him. He keeps himself in good nick. Him and Tony Daley will still have tummys like surfboards in their 70s.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #7567 on: September 22, 2020, 04:25:23 PM »
Couldn't see Milner getting past the club's strict recruitment policy seeing he's over *whispers* 3.0. There's a rumour Elmo and Taylor have already gone on the run

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #7568 on: September 22, 2020, 04:25:34 PM »
Looking at our sigings so far:

Smith wanted to sign Watkins and Cash - he knew how good they were from his time at Brentford in Div 2. The club went out and signed them. Job done.

We also identified the need a new keeper, a winger, a forward and a midfielder.

Johan Lange - our new scout chappie brings in:
Emi Martinez - looks like a winner.
Bertrand Traore - yet to play.
Two rabbits that he pulled out of the hat. Nobody was even talking about them as possibles until the respective deals were being firmed up.

Wonder who Lange has up his sleeve this time to surprise and delight us with in terms of a forward and midfielder?

Compare our transfer window to the acrimony Manchester United have had. Every attempted signing is immediately leaked to the press & very few deals have been completed

We've made some smart signings, all carried out in a professional manner.  Let's hope any further additions are as good as the first four.

It's a big improvement over last season (but then we needed a whole new team and had little time to act, so that I can understand).

Oh, and don't forget that at the same time we've made considerable progress on restructuring the player development set up with a new player progression philosophy in place and some  young prospects coming on board.

Plenty of reasons to be positive and although
I'm sure there will be the odd stumble along the way,  Villa look suspiciously well organised for the first time in ages.

UTV

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #7569 on: September 22, 2020, 04:29:17 PM »
Giggs was good enough to let the ball do his running for him, as well as having top six players in front and behind him.
Barry and Carrick both had excellent positioning off the ball, and could spray the ball about rather than expend lots of energy chasing the ball.

I like James Milner (a lot) but I think he'll age like milk once his energy levels drop.

I don't agree. You still need high energy levels to play in the world's best League.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #7570 on: September 22, 2020, 04:31:19 PM »
Looking at our sigings so far:

Smith wanted to sign Watkins and Cash - he knew how good they were from his time at Brentford in Div 2. The club went out and signed them. Job done.

We also identified the need a new keeper, a winger, a forward and a midfielder.

Johan Lange - our new scout chappie brings in:
Emi Martinez - looks like a winner.
Bertrand Traore - yet to play.
Two rabbits that he pulled out of the hat. Nobody was even talking about them as possibles until the respective deals were being firmed up.

Wonder who Lange has up his sleeve this time to surprise and delight us with in terms of a forward and midfielder?

Compare our transfer window to the acrimony Manchester United have had. Every attempted signing is immediately leaked to the press & very few deals have been completed

We've made some smart signings, all carried out in a professional manner.  Let's hope any further additions are as good as the first four.

It's a big improvement over last season (but then we needed a whole new team and had little time to act, so that I can understand).

Oh, and don't forget that at the same time we've made considerable progress on restructuring the player development set up with a new player progression philosophy in place and some  young prospects coming on board.

Plenty of reasons to be positive and although
I'm sure there will be the odd stumble along the way,  Villa look suspiciously well organised for the first time in ages.

UTV
This.

Plus the massive amount of effort that has gone into improving the youngsters.

Feels like a plan coming together.

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #7571 on: September 22, 2020, 04:39:27 PM »
Aston Villa have tied-up Keinan Davis for another four years after the striker penned a lengthy contract extension until 2024.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-news-davis-18978595

Happy with this as there is a good player in there the trick is can we bring it out....I would loan him out as he need to start scoring and it work  for Harry kane who was loaned out 4 times and Bertrand Traoré can play up front

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #7572 on: September 22, 2020, 04:41:06 PM »
Picking fullbacks to play on their 'wrong' side is (to me) a marker for being a poor manager - reference Bruce and Southgate.

Also Pep, Klopp, Jose and others have done it plenty in their careers, but sure.

As how they put together a balanced squad as opposed to a short-term measure to cope with injuries or suspensions, really?

Luke Young, for the most part, coped OK with being on his 'wrong' side, i.e. better than others in the same situation, though to suggest that that was better than finding a decent LB to do the job is a nonsense in my view (and at odds with the general sentiment on here from what I remember).

God, remember how many hundreds of hours we used to argue about this on here.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7573 on: September 22, 2020, 04:42:08 PM »
Giggs was good enough to let the ball do his running for him, as well as having top six players in front and behind him.
Barry and Carrick both had excellent positioning off the ball, and could spray the ball about rather than expend lots of energy chasing the ball.

I like James Milner (a lot) but I think he'll age like milk once his energy levels drop.

I don't agree. You still need high energy levels to play in the world's best League.

I don't fancy heading back to the Championship.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #7574 on: September 22, 2020, 05:06:30 PM »
Couldn't see Milner getting past the club's strict recruitment policy seeing he's over *whispers* 3.0. There's a rumour Elmo and Taylor have already gone on the run

They've been signed by York City?? They'd have been fine for this season, what's another year?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal