collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 10:44:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864623 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #675 on: July 26, 2020, 11:48:30 PM »
Who will replace Luiz when Man City buy him back, even if it is against his wishes?

Ha ha, wrong thread and aren't you bored of the debate? None of us know what the deal is.  Do they have to match the rival bid?  Is the fee already set at the £15m we paid them? They WILL struggle with the work permit for him as he will NOT be one of their main players.  I hope he stays.  He does need to show the same sort of form next season before we deem him fit for Manchester City.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #676 on: July 26, 2020, 11:51:56 PM »
Who will replace Luiz when Man City buy him back, even if it is against his wishes?

Ha ha, wrong thread and aren't you bored of the debate? None of us know what the deal is.  Do they have to match the rival bid?  Is the fee already set at the £15m we paid them? They WILL struggle with the work permit for him as he will NOT be one of their main players.  I hope he stays.  He does need to show the same sort of form next season before we deem him fit for Manchester City.

Wrong thread yes!!!

I do see the debate as a bit silly.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #677 on: July 26, 2020, 11:52:52 PM »

Wrong thread yes!!!

I do see the debate as a bit silly.

Me too and I was stuck in it.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #678 on: July 26, 2020, 11:59:57 PM »
I think Brookes at Bournemouth looks a decent player.

I reckon we need 5 or 6 in minimum, several of last year's intake and a few retained from the season before clearly aren't good enough or at least not on a consistent enough basis - players like Jota, Lansbury, Taylor,  probably Targett unless he converts to a left midfielder and I don't think AEG or Trezeguet are good enough either.   Maybe even Hause.  Certainly need two good forwards who can score, create and press, a left back who can both defend and contribute to the attacks, a centre back with pace and maybe another central striker or central midfielder. Hopefully they've done some groundwork already.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #679 on: July 27, 2020, 12:33:08 AM »
What I do know is that we will be talking about top level players joining us and not those we can attract to a Championship side.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #680 on: July 27, 2020, 12:38:06 AM »
Yep, I'm not sure we need to be looking at picking the bones out of the relegated teams.  As TV says, we should be looking at top level players.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #681 on: July 27, 2020, 12:42:07 AM »
In the mid-nineties, we signed Southgate and Draper from relegated teams and that turned out okay. If we had gone down, clubs wouldn't suddenly have decided that, for instance, Jack Grealish was rubbish.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #682 on: July 27, 2020, 12:46:04 AM »
In the mid-nineties, we signed Southgate and Draper from relegated teams and that turned out okay. If we had gone down, clubs wouldn't suddenly have decided that, for instance, Jack Grealish was rubbish.
Which relegated players are as good as Southgate and Draper?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #683 on: July 27, 2020, 12:49:18 AM »
1 goal and Grealish, Luiz, Mings, Heaton, SJM would have been relegated. We know the calibre of some the players in 87 and 2016. It can be fine margins and being a player that is relegated doesn't mean we shouldn't consider them. Obviously you don't really want to end up signing most of the Norwich side!

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #684 on: July 27, 2020, 12:51:56 AM »
Sarr we should be all over. Exactly the type we need - pace, direct, can cross. We should also take a look at Wilson for the £10 million touted. For that money, hes streets better than Samatta and Davis, and would be good competition for Wesley. I really like Brookes but think Bournemouth might hang on to him to help their promotion push.

Cantwell would be a good replacement for Jack but create a similar issue, as he has for Norwich, where do you play him? In a lower half team, you need to have a very rigid formation to cope, Cantwell and Grealish are constricted or become a tactical headache. Jack is so good you cope with that, but Cantwell isn't yet.

I hope we have a couple of punts for fairly low value up our sleeve to add some of that pace, and I hope we are looking for a central midfielder that can compliment Luiz in springing us from defence on the counter. Smith has got his team shape and tactics right now, he just needs some better players in certain areas to move it forward.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #685 on: July 27, 2020, 12:54:36 AM »
I’d rather be raiding the relegated teams than the Belgian league again if I’m honest.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #686 on: July 27, 2020, 12:54:46 AM »
Put it this way, having stayed up by the skin of our teeth I'd be disappointed if 2 or 3 of our new signings were from clubs even worse than we were.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #687 on: July 27, 2020, 12:59:23 AM »
I’d rather be raiding the relegated teams than the Belgian league again if I’m honest.

You mean for players that have actually played, understand and have performed in this league? Just because Howe sets up so open a bus drives through most weeks doesn't make Wilson or Brooks bad players, likewise Sarr at Watford. They are individually better than what we have and should be considered if they improve our 11. I reckon out of the 3 relegated sides I could put a squad together that would finish 10-12th in the prem. Indeed, Bournemouth and Watford have been in the prem for 5 years before going down today, so are not filled with total dross.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #688 on: July 27, 2020, 01:05:07 AM »
Sarr is exactly why I should never be in charge of transfers. I love players like him as i'm a sucker for pacey wingers (I even liked Bolasie early on with us!), but he's probably going to be £30m plus, as a player he excites me, but also scares me as a signing as it's a big chunk on the next big thing or the next flop.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #689 on: July 27, 2020, 01:06:16 AM »
Which relegated players are as good as Southgate and Draper?

Dunno, I don't really watch much non-Villa stuff. Cantwell, maybe? I was just refuting the argument that a player being relegated automatically makes them not good enough to play for any of the surviving seventeen. Roy Keane had a reasonable career, for instance.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal