collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[June 03, 2024, 10:41:45 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[June 03, 2024, 09:27:43 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by Dogtanian
[Today at 02:53:28 AM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Re: Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Percy McCarthy
[June 03, 2024, 11:26:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 889344 times)

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #4920 on: September 06, 2020, 11:44:43 AM »
is there any hard evidence we have actually bid for Watkins? What about  loaning in Brewster, is that an option?

Brewster would cost millions.
Heard rumours of him being quite costly because he demands a personal dietician, trainer, chef, someone to run minor errands for him, .... in fact all of Brewster's minions.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #4921 on: September 06, 2020, 11:50:00 AM »
well fraser going there probably played a part i'm guessing. I would have liked Wilson for his experience and at 20m he was good value. Obviously his injuries are a question mark over him. As others have stated, you sound out the player first if you have any nouse about you. Loads of clubs get rejected by players but they do their best to find out before they put a bid in.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #4922 on: September 06, 2020, 11:50:48 AM »
Loan market is a must seeing we don't seem to be able to get any experienced heads in. At the moment i can see us ending up with 3 or 4 championship players. >:(

As long as they're Grealish, McGinn and Mimgs quality Championship players, I'll be happy.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #4923 on: September 06, 2020, 11:50:56 AM »
Nixon reporting we face genuine competition from Spurs for Watkins... that would fit right in line with how this window has gone for us.
Really?
They have Son, Moura and Citizen. Plus, probably, others I've forgotten and youngsters coming through.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #4924 on: September 06, 2020, 11:51:09 AM »
If Wilson goes to Newcastle I'd happy have Dwight Gayle - he's no world beater - but he knows where the net is.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #4925 on: September 06, 2020, 11:54:17 AM »
Nixon reporting we face genuine competition from Spurs for Watkins... that would fit right in line with how this window has gone for us.
Really?
They have Son, Moura and Citizen. Plus, probably, others I've forgotten and youngsters coming through.

They need some sort of back up for when Kane gets his annual three month injury. Moving Son central also leaves them short out wide so Watkins fits their profile although Mourinho would surely want someone more proven at top level.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #4926 on: September 06, 2020, 11:55:15 AM »
If Wilson goes to Newcastle I'd happy have Dwight Gayle - he's no world beater - but he knows where the net is.
Long-term injury and all? No thanks.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #4927 on: September 06, 2020, 11:55:52 AM »
Long-term injury and all? No thanks.
ah, is he injured - I wasn't aware.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #4928 on: September 06, 2020, 11:56:25 AM »
Really?

They need some sort of back up for when Kane gets his annual three month injury. Moving Son central also leaves them short out wide so Watkins fits their profile although Mourinho would surely want someone more proven at top level.
I think Wilson would be a better cover for Kane.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #4929 on: September 06, 2020, 11:57:10 AM »
If we were ever interested in Callum Wilson at all. As for him choosing Newcastle over us, that's his choice and probably his loss. I'm not too fussed either way really.

Are you fussed we're very likely now to start the Sheffield United game with the same striker options we had end of last season? Just a reminder they scored in 0 games after lockdown.

I mean I'm not fussed over Wilson.

The striker we buy is for the next few years, not just the opening game.

I understand Wilson not being to everyone's taste but he is relatively proven in premier league. Our permanent striker signing record since 2014 has been completely dismal bar Kodj doing well for half a season so I'm not confident at all we'll sign someone with a better top level record than Wilson.

Fans of other clubs simply can't believe how bad the striker options are we provide Grealish with.

I’ve just had a look at Wilson’s record, it’s really not that good. He’s scored 36 goals in the last 4 seasons, only getting into double figures once. He also got booked 10 times last season, having only been booked 3 times in the 4 seasons before that, which suggests to me that something isn’t right with him.

If Newcastle want to spend £20 million on him then good luck to them, but I really don’t see why we would lose sleep over him. He wouldn’t be good enough on his own to be first choice, and if he is only a back-up then there will be other options at a lower price. I’d even consider a one or two year deal for someone like Deeney than spend £20 million on Wilson.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #4930 on: September 06, 2020, 11:57:38 AM »
I’m not too fussed.yes, ideally we’d have got 3 or 4 in before the start of the season, but if we don’t it’s not the end of the world. It doesn’t hurt to bide your time on a deal, especially if the agents are talking chew on the wages. Still a month to go before the PL window shuts and an extra 1-2 weeks for Championsip deals to close out.happy for Villa to take their time and get the right signings at the right age /attitude/ price/ wages.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #4931 on: September 06, 2020, 11:58:08 AM »

Loves a goal against us doesn't he !
I hear he's just had a knee op and will be out for  up to 4 months.
Perhaps why they went pressing for Wilson

Edit: others have kindly said.
Sorry !
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 11:59:45 AM by Vill I An »

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #4932 on: September 06, 2020, 12:00:46 PM »
Loan market is a must seeing we don't seem to be able to get any experienced heads in. At the moment i can see us ending up with 3 or 4 championship players. >:(

As long as they're Grealish, McGinn and Mimgs quality Championship players, I'll be happy.

Can't say i agree this season and all 3 of them struggled with the premiership at times last season. I'd like a few players with 5 or 6 premiership seasons or foreign top flight experience behind them even if theyre not bling signings and approaching 30. I mean who's played most premierships games for us? Elmo?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #4933 on: September 06, 2020, 12:05:09 PM »
Although I don't think they'll play in the same position, if there was an artificial choice between Wilson and Watkins, I'd choose Watkins everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #4934 on: September 06, 2020, 12:07:44 PM »

Can't say i agree this season and all 3 of them struggled with the premiership at times last season. I'd like a few players with 5 or 6 premiership seasons or foreign top flight experience behind them even if theyre not bling signings and approaching 30. I mean who's played most premierships games for us? Elmo?

Grealish and McGinn were excellent for us last season in the top flight and Mings wasn't far behind them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal