collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Cheeee-co-o-o-o-o-o by Allan C
[Today at 07:18:20 AM]

Champions' League here we come by JD
[Today at 07:17:51 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by AV84
[Today at 07:02:40 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:29:50 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 12:25:41 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 12:22:43 AM]

Jhon Durán - signed by eamonn
[Today at 12:10:39 AM]

Kits 24/25 by VillaTim
[May 22, 2024, 10:23:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 886432 times)

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #3750 on: August 29, 2020, 05:45:15 PM »
Martinez starting today, ah well another to scrub off the list!

Doesn’t mean anything

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #3751 on: August 29, 2020, 05:53:28 PM »
Martinez starting today, ah well another to scrub off the list!

Doesn’t mean anything

It does , it means he has scrubbed him off his list 😉

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #3752 on: August 29, 2020, 06:10:17 PM »
Well other than, as per the point made earlier in this thread, if you are judicious you can pick up some excellent players from the Championship or Scotland (see McGinn!). A player playing at a lower level doesn’t mean they can’t be a brilliant top flight player.

Not arguing they may be excellent players. But when one steps back, we have two players arguably who'd get into the first 11 of a top 10 PL club ... the rest IMO are players who will help us compete in the lower half of the PL. Watkins, Cash, Edouard are all players who would help us compete in that half of the table but none of them would get close to the first 11 of the top 8 (let alone 6) in the PL.

Its about ambition. What do we want to be in the PL? And if the rumors are true, then our expectations for the upcoming season should be guarded because we are not linked with the type of players who will drive us to much better in 20/21.   

I don’t disagree with all your views but I do when you say we have 2 players capable of playing for a top 10 prem side

in fact the reason I was disappointed with us in general last season was because I thought our players were better than that and disagreed with those of the mindset that they just weren’t good enough
some arn’t obviously but we have a core of very decent players

in midfield we have Grealish McGinn and Luiz if we sold them all we would be looking at approx 150 mill
I doubt there’s any bottom half prem team can boast that

defence we have Mings who could play top  10
Target who Leicester have expressed interest in who are in top 10
Heaton defo a top 10 keeper

We need strengthening in the areas we are week in, up front especially
 but we underachieved last season with the players at Smiths disposable imo

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #3753 on: August 29, 2020, 06:27:52 PM »
We need to be signing the next Sadio Mane, Patson Daka before another club does. A real talented striker with blistering pace. We all know RB Salzburg are a selling club, if the price is right.

Also, Matty Cash looks like poverty when you watch Denzel Dumfries, another player who I'd be going all out to sign. A lethal, international right-back who would cost double the fee, but is very highly skilled.

Players like Watkins, Benrahma and Edouard do not excite me in the slightest. We will get exactly what we pay for with those cheap signings.

Have you sent a burofax to the club containing a list of players that would excite you? I'm sure they'd be delighted.

Witty. But his point is well made. How far we have fallen when we seem excited by signing two Championship players and a French striker who has done well in the Scottish equivalent of League Two! 

If we are going to kick on into mid table safety it’s going to take much more ambition than the rumors suggest.

It's a well made point that we should be signing the next Sadio Mane from a club in Austria and a full-back from the Dutch league, but we should turn up our noses at Edouard because he plays in Scotland. How does that work?

For me Edouard doesn't have that real turn of pace we desperately need. Daka would be a nightmare for defenders with his pace. That club in Austria is where Southampton bought Mane from, and that Dutch full-back was in the team that beat Germany recently, twice.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #3754 on: August 29, 2020, 06:35:00 PM »
Martinez rumours true

Isn't that somewhat of an oxymoron?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3755 on: August 29, 2020, 06:35:58 PM »
We need to be signing the next Sadio Mane, Patson Daka before another club does. A real talented striker with blistering pace. We all know RB Salzburg are a selling club, if the price is right.

Also, Matty Cash looks like poverty when you watch Denzel Dumfries, another player who I'd be going all out to sign. A lethal, international right-back who would cost double the fee, but is very highly skilled.

Players like Watkins, Benrahma and Edouard do not excite me in the slightest. We will get exactly what we pay for with those cheap signings.

Have you sent a burofax to the club containing a list of players that would excite you? I'm sure they'd be delighted.

Witty. But his point is well made. How far we have fallen when we seem excited by signing two Championship players and a French striker who has done well in the Scottish equivalent of League Two! 

If we are going to kick on into mid table safety it’s going to take much more ambition than the rumors suggest.

It's a well made point that we should be signing the next Sadio Mane from a club in Austria and a full-back from the Dutch league, but we should turn up our noses at Edouard because he plays in Scotland. How does that work?

For me Edouard doesn't have that real turn of pace we desperately need. Daka would be a nightmare for defenders with his pace. That club in Austria is where Southampton bought Mane from, and that Dutch full-back was in the team that beat Germany recently, twice.

I think the point is, if we'd have signed Mane from an Austrian team for £10m, you'd be saying he doesn't excite you, he's cheap, etc etc.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #3756 on: August 29, 2020, 06:37:32 PM »
Martinez played well today. I would be surprised if they let him leave and more so for the sort of fee we may have earmarked for a goalkeeper.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #3757 on: August 29, 2020, 06:38:13 PM »
For me Edouard doesn't have that real turn of pace we desperately need.

A view you're entitled to. He wouldn't be a cheap signing though or the club getting 'exactly what we paid for', which is what you said.

That club in Austria is where Southampton bought Mane from, and that Dutch full-back was in the team that beat Germany recently, twice.

So if we're now judging potential signings on past signings and internationals rather than the country they play in, we can agree not to discount Eduoard of Celtic just because he plays in Scotland (not you that made that comment I know) since Celtic are the club that Dembele and Van Dijk came from, or ignore his many goals for every French international age group team up to the French U21s.

My general point is that it doesn't matter a dime where a player comes from or how much they cost, it matters how good they are or could be.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3758 on: August 29, 2020, 06:45:15 PM »
Martinez rumours true

Isn't that somewhat of an oxymoron?

That it is true there are rumours or that the content of the rumours are true?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 06:50:03 PM by Toronto Villa »

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3759 on: August 29, 2020, 06:47:46 PM »
And that point is spot on.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #3760 on: August 29, 2020, 06:57:26 PM »
My general point is that Edouard wouldn't cost us nowhere near the £30m reported fee and would be the inferior player to what we could possibly obtain.

We were paying £24m for a striker almost a decade ago. In today's current market £20-30m for a striker is cheap.

Offline Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #3761 on: August 29, 2020, 07:01:46 PM »
Are we going to pull up the drawbridge on this endless speculation for tonight and renew going around in circles tomorrow or when the bank holiday is over?

I need a rest!

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #3762 on: August 29, 2020, 07:06:18 PM »
I bet no-one is bored of the bickering...

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3763 on: August 29, 2020, 07:08:17 PM »
My general point is that Edouard wouldn't cost us nowhere near the £30m reported fee and would be the inferior player to what we could possibly obtain.

We were paying £24m for a striker almost a decade ago. In today's current market £20-30m for a striker is cheap.

But you want us to sign the next Mane from an inferior league at a small fee?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #3764 on: August 29, 2020, 07:08:43 PM »
Are we going to pull up the drawbridge on this endless speculation for tonight and renew going around in circles tomorrow or when the bank holiday is over?

I need a rest!
I think we all need a striker-signing!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal