collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864358 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #330 on: July 08, 2020, 01:51:21 PM »
It's all fucking bollocks. If they want him, they can damn well pay  a fortune. By all accounts, and if you use the logic that has been applied in reverse elsewhere, Smith has coached Mings to International level and thus increased his value.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #331 on: July 08, 2020, 02:00:52 PM »
I would take 15 and Axel for Mings to be fair. I like him a lot but Axel will be the better player in the long run.

We'd still need a dominant CB though. Yes Mings has lost form over last few months but he's still that leader type in the backline. Not so great in premier league but hugely influential in the championship.

Axel strikes me as a number 2 CB and certainly not as good in the air. Would hope we will pick up an out of favour CB at a prem club like we did with Chester. Shane Duffy at Brighton strikes me as an obvious target. Good in the air but lost his place this season so assume he'd be available.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #332 on: July 08, 2020, 02:04:23 PM »
We will be left with
Nyland Steer
Elmo
Hause
Target?
Hourihane
Nakamba
Wes
Trez
Davis
Jota
Engels?
and a bunch of youngsters

Without substantial improvement mid table in the 2 nd Division at best.

Add 4-5 decent players and that will be good enough for top 2 I reckon.

Interesting what the championship schedule will be for next season. Talk it won't start until early September. In normal seasons you've normally played 8-9 games by then. Play offs will also be a bit earlier due to the euros.

No idea how they squeeze 46 games in amongst all the cups. Perhaps they'll put matches on in international weekends which used to happen in the late 90s.

One thing I have missed is the constant Saturday-Tues/weds-Saturday fixture list down there. We had some memorable midweek games down there and will be even more of that with the condensed time to get the season played.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #333 on: July 08, 2020, 03:56:15 PM »
some over on VT are debating Rooney for a season or two. Blimey.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #334 on: July 08, 2020, 04:18:53 PM »
Think Axel's weakness was when the ball was in the air.

Yep and I suspect it's why he'll struggle to make it as a centre back at the highest level, more likely to be a defensive midfielder in my opinion.
We need one of them - 'marvelous' ain't it, that's for sure.

Online Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #335 on: July 08, 2020, 04:20:11 PM »
Think Axel's weakness was when the ball was in the air.

Yep and I suspect it's why he'll struggle to make it as a centre back at the highest level, more likely to be a defensive midfielder in my opinion.
We need one of them - 'marvelous' ain't it, that's for sure.
I'd forgotten all about him!

Offline supertom

« Reply #336 on: July 08, 2020, 06:02:47 PM »
some over on VT are debating Rooney for a season or two. Blimey.
In the championship yes. He's talismanic and we're gonna be all but stripped of that kind of player this summer. He's done at Prem level. I think he's done okay at Derby mostly playing CM. Though I'd probably still like to see him further forward in a 10. We'll be needing to replace Grealish's nous, so Wazza plus 1-2 younger talents who could step up. We need the next Mount/Maddison. There've been a few young Brit playmakers coming through recently. There must be more, and a loan down to the championship (unless we scout and buy a rival champ player) might be sensible.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #337 on: July 10, 2020, 01:10:36 PM »
Jeff Hendrick - free transfer, would be decent wages and contract but give some bite and leadership in midfield

Ebreche Eze - one of the best players in the Championship, probably be about £20m and would want decent money at that level but right age and an obvious Jack replacement

Kemar Roofe - available and can get goals from wide areas in the Championship, can cover CF too.

Ollie Watkins - £18m release fee

Mings, Grealish, Luiz, Trezeguet and Samatta to go for me. I'd try and keep Mings but seems unlikely. Try everything to keep McGinn.

I'd try and let Engels go and get an experienced centre half in too, a bit of leadership back there might help as Konsa and Hause would be two inexperienced players with Guilbert and Targett still finding their feet too.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #338 on: July 10, 2020, 01:54:14 PM »
Eze is close to joining Palace apparently. Hendrick been linked to AC Milan and can't see why he'd leave Burnley for a championship club in waiting.

Can see likes of Gayle, Harry Wilson being on the domestic target list (no idea what we'll get from abroad but you'd imagine we'd sign some players we know little about).

Would go for Buendia as our marquee signing. I reckon he'd cost less than the Brentford mob. Think they'll want to cash in (signed him for about 2m) and depends if he wants to be prem squad player or main man here.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #339 on: July 11, 2020, 02:49:54 PM »
I'd take Watkins at £18 though. Bargain.

Not sure Newcastle will let Gayle go the way he has finished the season.

If Mings is happy to stay then we should keep him of course, but I can't see it.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #340 on: July 11, 2020, 05:29:17 PM »
Watkins will be a PL player in September.

Hendrick to AC Milan?! Fucking hell, reminds me of Gary Breen linked with Inter.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #341 on: July 11, 2020, 06:25:48 PM »
Work out who wants to stay, who we want to keep, milk every penny we can get for those who want to leave.

Then work out which kids will be given a chance and make sure we don't block their paths.

Then fill the gaps and make sure new signings are very high quality players. Something we often haven't done well at.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #342 on: July 11, 2020, 06:32:18 PM »
Jeff Hendrick - free transfer, would be decent wages and contract but give some bite and leadership in midfield

Ebreche Eze - one of the best players in the Championship, probably be about £20m and would want decent money at that level but right age and an obvious Jack replacement

Kemar Roofe - available and can get goals from wide areas in the Championship, can cover CF too.

Ollie Watkins - £18m release fee

Mings, Grealish, Luiz, Trezeguet and Samatta to go for me. I'd try and keep Mings but seems unlikely. Try everything to keep McGinn.

I'd try and let Engels go and get an experienced centre half in too, a bit of leadership back there might help as Konsa and Hause would be two inexperienced players with Guilbert and Targett still finding their feet too.

Some good shouts there. I like Hendrick and Roofe is proven at this level. Heard good things about Eze as well

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #343 on: July 11, 2020, 09:02:10 PM »
the correct answer:

Choose a formation and identity.  My preference is 433. 451 when defending, big lump/pivot up top.

Sell:  Optimise value, plus I think they’ll ask to leave: Grealish and Mings.  A combined £100m (plus Axel from Man U in one combined clusterfuck of a transfer deal)
Sell: Trez/Ghazi (hopefully Trez but ultimately whichever we break even on).
Sell: Nylan (promote Steer and a kid).
Sell:  Engles

Buy: 2x £25m winger/inside forward types, the chap from Brentford and Eze for example (or James on loan from Man U in the clusterfuck deal).  Supplemented by El Ghazi or Trez.
Buy: Experienced CB who will guide the kids.

the above is what I’d like to happen.  If other players engineer a move then we have cash to ‘go large’ on their replacements.

Online Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #344 on: July 11, 2020, 09:10:27 PM »
Maybe just my current mood after following the cricket and other results today but this is the most depressing thread I’ve read for a while.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal