collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: VAR by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 01:39:21 PM]

Re: VAR by Nev
[Today at 01:29:49 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by paul_e
[Today at 01:22:54 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Richard E
[Today at 01:22:34 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by itbrvilla
[Today at 01:18:17 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 01:16:59 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 01:14:34 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Proposition Joe
[Today at 01:13:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 878788 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #2475 on: August 15, 2020, 05:07:25 PM »
It's also the third straight season where we've gone into the last day not knowing what league we were going to be in. We can have plans for both possibilities but I bet there's still work to do.

On the first day of pre-season we got rid of our then Sporting Director. The new Sporting Director has then come in and no doubt spent time talking to Smith/Purslow about squad requirements and then spent time sifting through the documents that the recruitment department have developed over the preceeding months.

Nowadays transfers are mega money business deals and we can't afford to get them wrong. It's far better to do all the necessary due diligence before making a move than acting hastily.

I suspect we'll see things start happening once the players have been back in pre-season training a week or two,  that's how it usually goes. At least this time we don't have about 12 signings to make.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2476 on: August 15, 2020, 05:23:54 PM »
when on song the Mings-Engels partnership was the best i saw last season
Mings doing the heavy duty defensive work and Engels the ball playing centre half dovetailed nicely i thought
at last a decent pair at the back hopefully for the long term unfortunately not to be
When did Engels do that as a matter of interest?  He looked quite good in the first game at Spurs heading everything away, but I honestly don't recall him looking good on the ball. Konsa is much more that player, surely?
He tried to play the ball against Spurs and look how that turned out.
That deft flick to deviate the ball back to Reina without making it look like a back pass was indeed a potential genius pass but....

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #2477 on: August 15, 2020, 06:38:13 PM »
I didn't say he was, but contracts mean next to nothing these days and everybody knows it. All a hypothetical new contract would do is potentially add a few million to his price.

Nobody can foretell what's going to happen with Jack, whether a respectable bid will come in for him, whether he'll sign a new contract, what it means if he does, etc.

We all want him to stay and I appreciate people want an indicator to that effect, but realistically anything can change at any point until October 5th.

We can, as a club, take the stance that once football starts again we will not sell him. I am fairly sure that Grealish will be understanding and accepting of that. Selling you best player 3 weeks after the season starts would be suicide. No way of replacing him, and a huge blow for the squad.

Other clubs have done that in the past and it has caused a couple of weeks of disappointment followed by the player buckling down.

However, if we sign Rashica, Watkins, Cantwell and Benrahma in the next 2 weeks, I am pretty sure Jack is going!

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #2478 on: August 15, 2020, 06:38:43 PM »
Mings doing the heavy duty defensive work and Engels the ball playing centre half dovetailed nicely i thought
at last a decent pair at the back hopefully for the long term unfortunately not to be
When did Engels do that as a matter of interest?  He looked quite good in the first game at Spurs heading everything away, but I honestly don't recall him looking good on the ball. Konsa is much more that player, surely?
That deft flick to deviate the ball back to Reina without making it look like a back pass was indeed a potential genius pass but....

If we went down by a point that would have haunted me all summer.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2479 on: August 15, 2020, 06:46:18 PM »

yeah because in the whole of the season no one else in the whole team made a mistake that cost us

your all just displaying your utter ignorance of knowing anything about football or how it works
Just pathetic really

why do you bother posting about something you obviously know fuck all about

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #2480 on: August 15, 2020, 06:49:55 PM »
Tad unnecessary that.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2481 on: August 15, 2020, 06:50:25 PM »

yeah because in the whole of the season no one else in the whole team made a mistake that cost us

your all just displaying your utter ignorance of knowing anything about football or how it works
Just pathetic really

why do you bother posting about something you obviously know fuck all about

Wind your neck in, and apologize.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 06:52:58 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #2482 on: August 15, 2020, 06:52:51 PM »
Jesus john, forget to take your blood pressure meds again?

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #2483 on: August 15, 2020, 06:52:55 PM »
Bournemouth accept a reported bid of around £18m for keeper Ramsdale from Sheffield United.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2484 on: August 15, 2020, 06:55:32 PM »

Only if he's saying that that particular example is the reason we'd have gone down, which he isn't.

I could think of half a dozen instances where we've thrown points away needlessly last season (and by half a dozen, I actually mean about three dozen), but it is possible to think about that particular instant as being the 'poster boy' of all the fuck ups just because it was so agonisingly close to us getting something from the match.

It's like the Grealish / Lansbury / Crystal Palace incident. That is another good example.

It's possible to focus on one particular moment without thinking that that was the actual reason for relegation. It's not that, but it's pretty easy to see why people might see it emblematic of the problems and weaknesses we had last season.

I don't think there is much wrong with that.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #2485 on: August 15, 2020, 07:06:10 PM »
Bournemouth accept a reported bid of around £18m for keeper Ramsdale from Sheffield United.

Presumably means they aren't getting Henderson back on loan again from Man Utd?

« Reply #2486 on: August 15, 2020, 07:17:42 PM »

Presumably means they aren't getting Henderson back on loan again from Man Utd?

Media saying Henderson wants to fight for his place at Man U, although some saying Chelsea are interested. Either way it looks like he won’t be at Sheffield Utd next season.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #2487 on: August 15, 2020, 07:26:38 PM »

Interesting that they'd be willing to pay 18m for Ramsdale with the likes of Butland available for half that amount. Ramsdale is a decent young keeper of course, but he'll concede a lot more than Henderson did. Of course so would most keepers.

« Reply #2488 on: August 15, 2020, 07:33:53 PM »
Henderson was playing behind a far better defence though. Bournemouth doing well to receive the thick end of £60m for a keeper and centre back.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2489 on: August 15, 2020, 08:09:31 PM »
Especially given it was Sheffield Utd who sold Ramsdale to Bournemouth in the first place.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal