collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 876717 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #2430 on: August 14, 2020, 04:03:29 PM »
when on song the Mings-Engels partnership was the best i saw last season

Mings doing the heavy duty defensive work and Engels the ball playing centre half dovetailed nicely i thought
at last a decent pair at the back hopefully for the long term unfortunately not to be

When did Engels do that as a matter of interest?  He looked quite good in the first game at Spurs heading everything away, but I honestly don't recall him looking good on the ball. Konsa is much more that player, surely?

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2431 on: August 14, 2020, 04:06:31 PM »
Well the “ITK” in Germany that had Rashica being signed yesterday or today is rapidly running out of time.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2432 on: August 14, 2020, 04:08:30 PM »

Mings doing the heavy duty defensive work and Engels the ball playing centre half dovetailed nicely i thought
at last a decent pair at the back hopefully for the long term unfortunately not to be

When did Engels do that as a matter of interest?  He looked quite good in the first game at Spurs heading everything away, but I honestly don't recall him looking good on the ball. Konsa is much more that player, surely?

Just in general play he has more composure on the ball imo

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #2433 on: August 14, 2020, 04:17:34 PM »

Have to agree with this. I remember Engels being the player doing all the blocks and headers and Mings playing it out.
Engels is well entitled to make some mistakes, someone mentioned mcnaught and Ugo having similar dodgy starts, although Ugo was only about 19 at the time wasn’t he. It’s more him having poor games then not being seen again for months, which may not of entirely been in his control but strange, and the earlier post about him not being happy with playing in a 3 is interesting if true.
As for Konsa, who knows whether he can go a whole season, but for me he didn’t just improve post lock down, he was our best defender.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2434 on: August 14, 2020, 04:38:27 PM »
Another factor to bear in mind with Engels last season was that he was alongside another rookie in Guilbert, who also started well but whose form tailed away alarmingly.
I hope we don't jettison him too quickly , and  - if that's the plan - they really need to find someone who can demand a first-team start.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2435 on: August 14, 2020, 04:49:47 PM »
I only see a need to sell Engels if he's demonstrated a poor character trait (such as putting himself before the team) or if his relationship with Smith has reached a point that it's better to sell.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #2436 on: August 14, 2020, 04:58:03 PM »
Well the “ITK” in Germany that had Rashica being signed yesterday or today is rapidly running out of time.

I would say it's more than likely that our interest is being used by his agent to put pressure on RB Leipzig who didn't want to pay the asking price. Their qualification for the CL semis last night surely only strengthens their hand further. A move to Birmingham to play for the historical giants of Aston Villa or a move within the same country to play for a side with a decent chance of making the Champion's League final? I knew which I'd choose, but I'm betting it's not the one he or his agent prefers.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2437 on: August 14, 2020, 05:25:41 PM »

Konsa is not good enough to go a whole season as first choice CH imo
it’s alright saying he did well here and there and the old chestnut ‘ he never let us down’ but in general he’s just not good enough on the ball yet
 he has improved but needs to become comfortable in his control and passing before he can be a first team pick

if we go into the season with a Mings-Konsa pairing it will take no more than 6 games for people to call for a upgrade, I’m not saying get rid he’s fine in the squad but not a every week first choice centre back

that’s just my opinion obviously
 and as a caveat I’m looking for players good enough to take us into the top half of the league where we should be aiming, not finishing 16th and saying it’s an improvement next season

Early on, I was giving consideration to buying a shirt and emblazoning the back with 62 and 'Mingles'. I hope they make me think about it again, for a spell they had something about them I really liked.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2438 on: August 14, 2020, 05:46:16 PM »
Playing devils advocate a little....

It seems the majority of players we are being linked with are the so called better players from teams who got relegated or in Bremen’s case just avoided said drop or players never tested at the top level....whilst these are obvious links to have been made just how many of those will significantly improve a team that finished 17th?

The goldfish bowl that is Villa with our fan base will write off players after a couple of sub par performances so the pressure to perform is massively higher with us than it is at Norwich, Watford, Bournemouth & Brentford.  Being tutted at for misplacing a pass at Carrow Road or the bungalow that Bournemouth play at is massively different to when Villa Park turns.  Alongside ability we need two or three big characters...the likes of Cantwell don’t strike me as those types.

Would particularly avoid anyone from Norwich, they did well to come up but didn’t try a lick to stay there, they’d waved the white flag by the end of first transfer window so it was easy for Cantwell / Buendia to look good because every game was a free hit in the knowledge that the club were trousering the Prem cash so zero accountability.

Personally I’d hope to see links for players in top half of Prem, Bundesliga, Serie A mixed in with the odd gamble like Benrahma / Watkins / Buendia rather than the current ones.

As I say a bit devils advocate but as I see it the scope is there for any team in the bottom half last season to aim for 7th/8th/9th if they get the recruitment right....quality, pace, physicality....not tricksters for me.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #2439 on: August 14, 2020, 05:58:53 PM »
Personally I’d hope to see links for players in top half of Prem, Bundesliga, Serie A mixed in with the odd gamble like Benrahma / Watkins / Buendia rather than the current ones.

As I say a bit devils advocate but as I see it the scope is there for any team in the bottom half last season to aim for 7th/8th/9th if they get the recruitment right....quality, pace, physicality....not tricksters for me.

But why would a player who plays for a team in the top half of any of the major leagues swap that for Villa? You'd be looking at their benches or the few players that are clearly available from the top half teams (Lundstram, Smalling, Otamendi and the likes), and they don't seem to be of an acceptable quality to others on here.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2440 on: August 14, 2020, 06:19:04 PM »
52 days and counting........................

Tumbleweed emoji.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #2441 on: August 14, 2020, 06:33:20 PM »

But why would a player who plays for a team in the top half of any of the major leagues swap that for Villa? You'd be looking at their benches or the few players that are clearly available from the top half teams (Lundstram, Smalling, Otamendi and the likes), and they don't seem to be of an acceptable quality to others on here.

Well judging by last season the links will be bollox and we will end up with players we’ve never heard of eg Luiz, Nakamba, Engels, Trez, and a £22m Brazilian

Offline Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #2442 on: August 14, 2020, 06:43:25 PM »

Well judging by last season the links will be bollox and we will end up with players we’ve never heard of eg Luiz, Nakamba, Engels, Trez, and a £22m Brazilian
I know beauty parlours have reopened but £22m for a Brazilian?

Offline jwarry

« Reply #2443 on: August 14, 2020, 07:11:59 PM »
I see Stoke have reduced their asking price for Butland to £8m. Think we dodged a bullet there as he’s clearly gone down the Joe Hart route

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2444 on: August 14, 2020, 07:29:21 PM »

In Prem probably right but not necessarily in Bundesliga / Serie A - obv not gonna get anyone significant from a Bayern or a Juventus but not a Wolfsburg or Hoffenheim etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal