collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 873331 times)

Offline garyellis

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #2205 on: August 12, 2020, 08:17:36 PM »
What about Batshuayi?
In last year of his contract and not fancied by Lamplard.
Probably a similar price to Watkins but much higher wages
He does have the premier league experience badge.
But he is crap
I'm not advocating him though he had his advocates last January. Palace fans seemed to rate him given his performances for them, when on loan.
Personally I'd prefer Watkins assuming Tammy is a pipe dream.Through all the discussion on here and other forums gettable names seem to be like hens teeth. But we have to make signings in this area.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #2206 on: August 12, 2020, 08:22:48 PM »
What about Batshuayi?

Good shout. Rate him and won’t cost a bomb.

He can also hold the ball up well.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2207 on: August 12, 2020, 08:33:37 PM »
That's the market we should be in. If we sign a player for around £20 million, same as we did last year, how are we making the step up? If we replace like for like we will be in a relegation battle again.
I agree. Daft as it is, £40m is the going rate for a good-but-not-exceptional player. £20m buys you a gamble.

I agree.  This is part of the reason why I think a (scoring) winger should be a higher priority. For £40m I think you will get more bang for your buck, especially when the starting point is El Ghazi/Trez.  There’s still value to be squeezed out of Wes but Watkins should also be signed as insurance/competition (Davis on loan and Samatta sold).

Job done.  Except identifying the winger... 

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #2208 on: August 12, 2020, 08:49:28 PM »
It's an easy post on a forum like this but - serious question - when people say 'proven goalscorer' I take it to mean someone that will score 15+ bearing in mind Wesley was on track to get 11/12 in his first season.

So the 15+ PL goalscorers for last season were: Vardy, Aubameyang, Ings, Sterling, Salah, Kane, Mane, Jimenez, Martial, Rashford, Aguero and Tammy.

You're not allowed to say someone not playing in the PL (as they cannot be regarded as 'proven') so with £50-60m to spend on the transfer (or inflated wages for Vardy/Aguero) who do people want and realistically expect we can get?

When I look at that list, I think maybe Ings, but will he replicate last year (a 'no' from me) or Tammy as a big outside bet if Chelsea sign another striker and tell him he can find a club (and I don't see that happening).

So, no offence intended but it is nonsense to talk about 'proven' versus a 'punt'. It is simply 'how much of a punt' and that is influenced by what other deals we do for other positions.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2209 on: August 12, 2020, 08:50:58 PM »
So if we signed Messi, he wouldn't be a "proven" goalscorer because he's never done it in the Premier League?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2210 on: August 12, 2020, 08:51:27 PM »
Batshuayi kind of makes me think of Loic Remy. You read about him a lot more than you see him/them playing and scoring yet they seem to be highly rated for years!

Online Dante Lavelli

« Reply #2211 on: August 12, 2020, 08:59:30 PM »
Batshuayi kind of makes me think of Loic Remy. You read about him a lot more than you see him/them playing and scoring yet they seem to be highly rated for years!

A common denominator there is Chelsea and they stockpile players.  Sending them on loan until something clicks and they can sell them at optimum value. Batshuayi and Remy just never clicked so have bounced around clubs.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #2212 on: August 12, 2020, 09:02:23 PM »
So if we signed Messi, he wouldn't be a "proven" goalscorer because he's never done it in the Premier League?

OK. I think you probably understood what I was saying but felt compelled to be contrary for the sake of it.

So I will indulge you - you can include Messi, Ronaldo and Neymer in the list of proven goalscorer that don't represent some degree of risk/punt.

Now, which do you think will join Villa for a fee in the region of £50-60m?

Online Dante Lavelli

« Reply #2213 on: August 12, 2020, 09:11:31 PM »

A common denominator there is Chelsea and they stockpile players.  Sending them on loan until something clicks and they can sell them at optimum value. Batshuayi and Remy just never clicked so have bounced around clubs.

Just to add their strategy is genius as I’d guess inflation for FPI (footballer price index) must jump 15% each year.  Add in the fact that the commodity/player matures for the first few years and... it’s Chelseas way of ensuring that FFP is not an issue.

Offline nigel

« Reply #2214 on: August 12, 2020, 09:15:36 PM »
Yeah, but you found out how to bleed the radiators and sort the boiler.

Fucking right. My air-con is currently on the blink but I thought that might be a bit decadent for the denizens of Off Topic.

Flippin heck, I remember that  :D

Offline Damo70

« Reply #2215 on: August 12, 2020, 09:34:01 PM »
What about Batshuayi?
But he is crap

16 goals in 29 international games for Belgium and 5 goals in 11 games on loan to Palace last season suggests he is far from crap. Also at 26 he should be at his peak.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #2216 on: August 12, 2020, 09:37:08 PM »

OK. I think you probably understood what I was saying but felt compelled to be contrary for the sake of it.

So I will indulge you - you can include Messi, Ronaldo and Neymer in the list of proven goalscorer that don't represent some degree of risk/punt.

Now, which do you think will join Villa for a fee in the region of £50-60m?

I dunno mate, my knowledge of European football is rubbish. I was just debating the argument that you could only get a "proven" goalscorer in the Premier League. I'm glad you've since qualified that.

I'm pretty sure you could get someone pretty amazing for £50-£60 million, tbh. I've no idea who as, like I say, I dunno. Haven't played Championship Manager for years.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2217 on: August 12, 2020, 09:38:01 PM »
Sebastian Haller cost West Ham £45m and Newcastle paid £40m for Joelinton. Spending a lot of money isn't a guarantee of signing quality.

Similarly Danny Ings cost £18m. You don't have to spend mega money to be able sign a goalscorer.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #2218 on: August 12, 2020, 09:39:36 PM »
No, there is no guarantee. But the £50 million range gives you a far better chance of getting someone sexy, exciting and goaly than the £20 million bracket does. Worth the extra cash.

Danny Ings would have been a £40 million striker if he had a good injury record. Spending that money on him was a massive gamble, which has paid off so far in that case.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 09:41:47 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2219 on: August 12, 2020, 09:41:05 PM »
Sexy and goaly ftw !

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal